Where is your first drumset

I don't care much about where my first drum set is, but I'd love to track down my third drum set. A used piano black noble and cooley I practically stole from a guitar center for $1100 in 2002. Best sounding drum set I ever played/owned. If you're reading this and you own it, let's chat.

My first set was a blue sparkle Zim-Gar. My parents bought it through my teacher at the time - he was great about doing that type of stuff. I was in 7th grade, and folks were planning on giving it to me for Christmas. They did do that, but they were bummed because I had broken my arm just days before! My teacher told them not to worry - I had 3 other limbs and would still love it. I sure did. I still have the 12" tom, but the rest of the set didn't survive years of improper storage after I left for college. I wish I had rescued it.

I also bought a used Slingerland when I was in high school. I still have that one.

Sold my ‘72 Rogers 360 5pc (20” kick, Dynasonic snare) for grocery $$ in ‘84 to some interested 14 yr old from a town 10 mi away. Tough start for free-lance illustration career!

My first kit of all: Roland TD-9K. It gradually morphed into my e-kit of today. The module isn't original though (a TD-17 now), as are most of the pads.
My first acoustic kit: Ludwig CDSE, still at home, tuned up, ready for my next gig (when there is one). The ZBT cymbals that came with it are long gone though, and the Corey Miller snare was recently sold to a player that really likes it (I just prefer maple and aluminium snare shells)

Mine is sitting my living room waiting for me to sell it.. DW Design in tobaco sunburst... I think the Design series is easily the best bang in drums.. things sound amazing, i had planned to keep them for life.. but a dream kit showed up..
Hell of a first kit! What was the dream kit?

Mine was a very cheap Hohner kit my parents bought for me in 1995 when I was 8 years old. I was on summer holiday and the doorbell rang, my dad asked me to get it and it was some guy from Poole Percussion telling me he had a drum kit to deliver, best day of my life, I'd been practicing rudiments on a biscuit tin up until this point!

This was replaced by a Yamaha Stage Custom about 7 years later which I still have but am looking to offload as have moved country and it's too much hassle to get it transported! If I had more money I would definitely be keeping that as well as buying a replacement.

When I got the Stage Custom we sold the Hohner to a younger lad at school who had just started learning the drums, no idea what became of it after that.

Last edited:
Hell of a first kit! What was the dream kit?
Dream kit... i have always wanted yamahas and i got a 100th anniversary birdseye kit for next to nothing. But to be honest.. i am thinking of selling the yahamas and keeping the DW designs... only thing holding me back is i'm used to 3up-1down now and can't imagine going back.. i like the yammys but the maple dw's are just so warm and i can hit the oms without clicking rims non stop which is honestly making me insane (power toms)

P.S. Dream kit is still yammys but PHX.. or a 6pc SQ2 which yeah.. never gonna happen :)"
2021-06-23 07.49.20.jpg

Dream kit... i have always wanted yamahas and i got a 100th anniversary birdseye kit for next to nothing. But to be honest.. i am thinking of selling the yahamas and keeping the DW designs... only thing holding me back is i'm used to 3up-1down now and can't imagine going back.. i like the yammys but the maple dw's are just so warm and i can hit the oms without clicking rims non stop which is honestly making me insane (power toms)

P.S. Dream kit is still yammys but PHX.. or a 6pc SQ2 which yeah.. never gonna happen :)"
View attachment 108904
I'd keep the DW if I was you, I'm working my way up to a DW.

I'd keep the DW if I was you, I'm working my way up to a DW.

DW is nothing special... every company makes great drums. i love the kit but when i walk into my drum room and see those yammys... mmmmm :) I'm just fighting getting a good position with those toms..

Sold off the CB700s many years ago, and I have no idea where they are now. I was happy to get rid of them, mainly because the hardware kept failing.

LOL.....same set, same state of mind. Was thinking "hopefully as ash in the bottom of a firepit somewhere". I mean they went "thud" when hit but was clearly the beginner set it was marketed as. Good old CB700 "Percussion" vs. the 'upgraded' CB700 "International".......

I love my parents dearly for buying that set, so I appreciate it but I don't long to have it back anymore than angry ex-girlfriends

Went from that CB to a used chrome Export kit (pre-long lug) that I played all the way through college gigs and into the wedding band days. That being said, I don't long for that one back either......lol

Back