Where is your first drumset

Had a Royce brand in 1986. Played it until 1993 & gave it to one of my first students I was teaching in 1995. He still has it & his brother now plays it.

About 6 years after I left for college and life and adventure, my mother called me. “Get this drum set outta my garage!”

So I fetched it. 1960s Slingy bass & clamp-on-hoop mounted tom, Luddy floor tom, Taiwan snare, cheap stands, Zyn cymbal (British), Zildjian 16” crash and 14” New Beat hats.

I tried playing it only once (mid-day) and the apartment manager asked, “Are you crazy?! People are sleeping!!” (Bartenders and other night owls in the place).

So I listed it in the San Diego Reader for $150. A fellow offered me $150 for just the Zildjian tins and I took the deal.

About a week later I did what every [cool] surfer does with an old board: I sacrificed my kit by burning it at the beach (in a fire ring! Not just anywhere). All that was left was the heavily tarnished hardware buried in ash.

The waves were epic the next day.

1C6E4CED-58AE-4862-AB06-42042138EC02.jpeg

My first kit was a MIJ stencil kit. I re-wrapped the 13 and 20 black to match my 1982 Tama Swingstars. My old man once got so mad at me that he smashed the 16" floor tom from that kit. I eventually sold the 20 and I think gave away the 13.

Anyway, the Swingstars-- my first really usable kit-- were sold to a college classmate of mine. He gave them to his son and his son apparently plays them all the time, including on tours.

Mine have been decomposing in a landfill for probably 46 years now.

Sold off the CB700s many years ago, and I have no idea where they are now. I was happy to get rid of them, mainly because the hardware kept failing.

Put out of its misery yonks ago in a skip.

Still have it but haven’t used it in many years. It’s sat in cases in storage.

I’ll never part with it, other to hopefully give it to my daughter if she wants to take up the drums. 4BE74B5F-F5D3-461C-8FC4-326257D7F985.jpeg

Still have it and use it daily. A 1966 Slingerland set with numerous hardware upgrades. It is my practice and GB set. When (and if I will be able to play out again with a hard band (Damn you Covid)) or should it be for a loud room, my "pro set" is a set of Sonor Signature.

Mine is sitting my living room waiting for me to sell it.. DW Design in tobaco sunburst... I think the Design series is easily the best bang in drums.. things sound amazing, i had planned to keep them for life.. but a dream kit showed up..

Probably the same place as lost socks.

"Probably in a big pile of..... 💩? "
- Ace Ventura 2

It was a sorry excuse for a drumkit, so I couldn't care less. Brown Oyster finish. Bought it for about 80 dollars from my first drumteacher in 1992 who had put stickers all over it. Believe it was from the 70's but it was not a known brand, can't remember any badges on it. The cymbals were the most dented things I had ever seen. But it made noise, so I guess it was more fun than using a pad. Think I gave it away when my father came to his senses and wanted to get back into drumming in 1994, and bought a new Yamaha Power V Special that I got to use as well.

Last edited:
First kit was a mid 80’s Tama Swingstar in like smoky chrome or whatever. Pulled the wrap off, stained them dark brown, put RIMS on them and stripped off the Zola coating inside the shells. Sold/traded them to the local MGR decades ago for another Tama kit. No idea what happened to them after that.

Do I want them back? Hell no. They were terrible. (Not speaking of Tama the brand, just those particular drums. I have an extremely positive opinion of Tama despite not owning any of their wares for a long time now.)

Blue sparkle MIJ stencil kit bought used in '67. I can't imagine they're anywhere but some sort of subterranean final resting place. I haven't seen them for 52 years.

In my garage on a shelf. I keep telling myself that I am going to rewrap it but I could buy another kit for the price of drum wrap. It’s sentimental but not that sentimental. Mostly I just don’t want to throw it away.

9F5B60E9-5C71-4F4F-97D0-8AEB5063C107.jpeg

Mine is sitting my living room waiting for me to sell it.. DW Design in tobaco sunburst... I think the Design series is easily the best bang in drums.. things sound amazing, i had planned to keep them for life.. but a dream kit showed up..
I think you might be right about the DW Designs. They're a bigger bargain than even the Yamaha Stage Customs. As a matter of fact, I sold a set of Stage Customs to buy my Design kit. The DWs give my Renowns a run for their money and they cost a little over half as much.

As for the original question, I had an old red sparkle kit that I re-wrapped in vinyl to make it look like natural wood. I have no photos or recollection of what happened to that set but I have a recording I made playing it back in '83 or '84.

It was a Slingerland Spirit kit I think they were called. I gave it away to my Son's school friend many moons ago...

I think you might be right about the DW Designs. They're a bigger bargain than even the Yamaha Stage Customs. As a matter of fact, I sold a set of Stage Customs to buy my Design kit. The DWs give my Renowns a run for their money and they cost a little over half as much.
Yeah, i kinda with my yammy RC's had a bit of the warmth of the designs.. ok sorry for hijacking :)

I wish I still had my blue sparkle Crestline. I saw one JUST like it earlier this year and the people were asking in the $500 to $650 range if I remember correctly. Nah

Back