Where is my issue?

buzzbuzz

I am having an issue with my kick drum pedal. I'm not sure if it is my technique, the head tension or the pedal. I use a double pedal and believe I have the spring tension adjusted to a little more than medium tight.

My issue is that when I perform a single stroke with my right foot, the beater has a tendency to 'roll' on the head. In other words, it doesn't bury in the head or rebound off the head, it performs like a triple stroke roll if you will. I would expect the beater to 'rest' on the head after a firm stroke but I get a lot of rebound.

I don't believe my head is tuned exceptionally tight and I have a rolled up towel inside the kick resting at the bottom of the kick to provide a slight amount of muffling.

I hope this makes sense and maybe someone could help me determine where I am going wrong.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
If there is a roll there certainly is rebond. :)

What do you want to do. Do you want to bury it or do you want it to rebound?

A video would probably help.

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
Try porting the reso head. I've found that it helps a ton with rebound. I'm not as fond of the sound though as with an unported reso. What's funny is that my reso is ported and I just haven't gotten around to changing it :).

Headbanger

I watched your video, and I think you'll have better results if you move your foot further up the pedal (get your toes closer to the drumhead).

New Tricks

Platinum Member
I agree.

It's a mechanical/leverage thing.

Either bury the beater and hold it in place or let it go immediately and it will come away from the head,

You are kind of in the middle there with the easy touch.

rotherdrummer

you have your spring tension medium tight and your foot is quite far back on the pedal - that's your problem mate. you would have to apply some serious pressure with your toes from back there to stop the rebound. i can see from your technique that you prefer to leave the beater buried, so you only really have 2 options:-

1. leave the spring tension as it is and place your foot higher up on the pedal board. the extra weight and power from your full foot will help keep the beater buried

2. leave your foot where it is and loosen your spring tension. this will help to prevent it doing it's own thing and you won't have to worry about applying so much pressure/control with your toes

it's a balancing act and can be a tricky problem to overcome. i sometimes still struggle to find the sweet spot on my pearl elims :(

Mouse

There are a few variables. Possibly your spring tension is to tight and you are not getting the transfer of solid foot-leg action to the beater, try loosening it right off and adjust it slowly to a point it is best.

If any help I use rebound as opposed to burying the beater as I can get faster beats and cleaner beats that cut through. Burying does that, creates a bounce where playing off the head it is clean. To get a fat sound adjust tuning.
Try it with a stick on your snare to see the result. Bury stick it will bounce. play off and it will rebound and prepare you for the next killer stroke. No different to bass drum.

I have the board and spring set so with finger touch the pedal springs back to the start position which is set so the beater near touches my foot so there is plenty of swing. I use the white cam on my Pearl eliminator pedal, basically its the same as any other standard pedal. When my feet are resting on the pedals the beater is around 11 oclock, feet off at 9 so this give me a solid playing stroke.

My foot is placed on the sweet spot of the board, work around it and find where it gives you the best action. I use the ball of foot-big toe area for a contact spot and a twisting ankle action, also for triplet, fours i tend to play back and bounce up to that sweet spot, the beater does the work not the foot. Talcum powder on the board allows the foot to slip.
My heads are as loose as pretty much not far from wrinkle with similar set up as your (ported, towel) although my kick is a 20" ( bigger gigs its miked D112)

Everyone is different but experiment and remember where it works best.
Check position of you beater head, I have mine a little off- centre, also the type of head. For playing into head felt may be better? I use a plastic flat head and it's as punchy but faster than burying, also I use Evans or Danmar contact patches.

Yes, it is worth spending some time and sorting this, the fun part of drumming to hot rod your kit to suit your own particular playing needs so you can play your best on well sorted gear.