Where did it go?

Doraemon

Did I miss some drama? There was another one of those discussions in off topic about relationships and whatnot. So far I saw topics going sideways getting closed, but not entire threads disappear, unless it’s spam or something wild. Is there a place to see what happened, like a log? Also do such things erase all the reaction score / post count I gained commenting there?

yammyfan

I noticed the disappearance too.

Funny, threads that discuss relationships between bandmates and club owners can go on for days but threads that focus on men and women get shut down quickly, even if they're not particularly contentious.

I get it though. This isn't really the place for that. In fairness however, all non drum talk should be discouraged for the sake of consistency. That would avoid the appearance of the imposition of ideology and make things abundantly clear to all.

I would be okay with the disappearance of the off-topic forum under those conditions.

Last edited:

Doraemon

I get it though. This isn't really the place for that. In fairness however, all non drum talk should be discouraged for the sake of consistency. That would avoid the appearance of the imposition of ideology and make things abundantly clear to all.
I don't mind non-drum topics, they have a dedicated place and are easy to ignore if you aren't interested. It was in "offtopic" after all, and how is buying a screwdriver or complaining about food any different than a topic about people? I can see the op could have been warned about the redundancy of opening new discussions about pretty much the same thing, but I enjoyed reading other members' insights. Something must have happened while I was asleep...

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
The thread got deleted due to reports. If no one reported it, it would probably still be here. So it's not always the mods. The reporters are the ones who ultimately get threads deleted too. The needs of a few who are easily offended, or who must report every little thing, outweigh the needs of the many sometimes. Not that I agree with that, I don't. I wish some adults weren't so thin skinned that they have to run to the mommy and daddy. But they are for sure thin skinned and the mods and the rest of the membership end up paying for that. We gotta take the bad with the good. I thought the thread was acceptable and I was enjoying it.. But it's gone now.

Doraemon

The thread got deleted due to reports. If no one reported it, it would probably still be here. So it's not always the mods. The reporters are the ones who ultimately get threads deleted too. The needs of a few who are easily offended, or who must report every little thing, outweigh the needs of the many sometimes. Not that I agree with that, I don't. I wish some adults weren't so thin skinned that they have to run to the mommy and daddy. But they are for sure thin skinned and the mods and the rest of the membership end up paying for that. We gotta take the bad with the good. I thought the thread was acceptable and I was enjoying it.. But it's gone now.
Can't imagine what they reported on though, last time I saw it was harmless and nothing controversial. I'd still think the mods make the decisions, based on some criteria. Why not just remove the offending posts instead of wiping everything?

larryace

Staff member
Can't imagine what they reported on though, last time I saw it was harmless and nothing controversial. I'd still think the mods make the decisions, based on some criteria. Why not just remove the offending posts instead of wiping everything?
I agree. I thought the thread was doing OK. I even commented in it. The mods here have different styles. One mod can act alone. There's no mod discussions about thread deletions. That's up to the individual mods discretion. Banning someone calls for a vote. Again, it's the few people who report stuff that's not worthy of reporting IMO that is causing this particular problem. It's not a perfect system, because people make it messy on purpose. Too many people IMO are so easily offended since covid and it needs to stop here. Legit concerns? I have all day for that. Stupid crap just irritates me and is a waste of time. When I first started, I treated every report with concern, I still do. But I am getting irritated about stupid reports that waste my time.

I'd like to implement a report cap of 3 a year. So people have to be choosy as to which posts get reported. Some people abuse the report button. 4 reports in a year or less gets a one year ban if I had my way. Let's be part of the solution, not part of the problem. To be clear, things like threads being in the wrong forum are not stupid. I'm talking 3 stupid, problem causing reports in a year, as judged by the mods. It's not in place as of now but I may push for it.

Last edited:

Al Strange

Platinum Member
I agree. I thought the thread was doing OK. I even commented in it. The mods here have different styles. One mod can act alone. There's no mod discussions about thread deletions. That's up to the individual mods discretion. Banning someone calls for a vote. Again, it's the few people who report stuff that's not worthy of reporting IMO that is causing this particular problem. It's not a perfect system, because people make it messy on purpose. Too many people IMO are so easily offended since covid and it needs to stop here. Legit concerns? I have all day for that. Stupid crap just irritates me and is a waste of time. When I first started, I treated every report with concern, I still do. But I am getting irritated about stupid reports that waste my time.

I'd like to implement a report cap of 3 a year. So people have to be choosy as to which posts get reported. Some people abuse the report button. 4 reports in a year or less gets a one year ban if I had my way. Let's be part of the solution, not part of the problem. To be clear, things like threads being in the wrong forum are not stupid. I'm talking 3 stupid, problem causing reports in a year, as judged by the mods. It's not in place as of now but I may push for it.
Am I the only one who would love to report this post by way of bants? I can just imagine @larryace ’s face?! :ROFLMAO:(y)

larryace

Staff member
Banter...in Murica...means normal back and forth conversation. Not winding someone up, or pulling their leg...Having a giraffe? You crazy Brits. There's not even giraffes in the UK. (cue the person who proves me wrong) Zoos don't count.

Doraemon

Thanks for explaining. Too bad I didn't see what went down, so it would make sense. (I can only image something about gender.)
More importantly, does that mean I lost all my green likes from that thread? I love those. :)

larryace

Staff member
Thanks for explaining. Too bad I didn't see what went down, so it would make sense. (I can only image something about gender.)
More importantly, does that mean I lost all my green likes from that thread? I love those.
Mods have the option to remove from public view, or permanently delete. I'll ask which option was used. Because if the remove from public view option was chosen, we can bring it back, which I'm all for. I'll look into it.

planoranger

Please enact the "Uncle Larry Rule"

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
I'm going to come out and say that I reported it and @larryace, you know it was me. Specifically I reported one post in particular that was exceptionally misogynistic. Larry, I love you man but I cannot agree and I don't like the way you've approached the question here.

How the Hell are we supposed to grow and develop as a community when every thread about relationships ends up pointing the blame at women for the failings of a few pathetic men?

Last edited:

Al Strange

Platinum Member
I'm going to come out and say that I reported it and @larryace, you know it was me. Specifically I reported one post in particular that was exceptionally misogynistic. Larry, I love you man but I cannot agree and I don't like the way you've approached the question here.

How the Hell are we supposed to grow and develop as a community when every thread about relationships ends up pointing the blame at women for the failings of a few pathetic men?
I have to say I agree there were some pretty embarrassing posts on that thread…:unsure:

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
I have to say I agree there were some pretty embarrassing posts on that thread…:unsure:
And I'm deeply concerned that hate against women seems to get ignored when other hate speech is so obviously stamped out aggressively here. Post something racist? Unacceptable. Post something homophobic? Unacceptable. Post something misogynistic? Oh, that's fine...

Doraemon

Understanding and discussing different views or experiences could be a part of "growing". There is a difference between someone trying to offend others and some teenage or young boy having silly ideas aboiut the world. Then why not report that one post instead of all?
Not all of us weak women need a white knight...

Last edited: