When you play live, are you doing sticktricks and if not what else are you doing except for playing with the band?

Chopstix44

Hey there, it’s still plenty of time until we (if we are accepted to it) play a gig and the venue will be most probably a stage (there are several stages some are more festival like than others but a visitor told that live music would be played on that stage) where the audience just will sit near the stage and eat and drink.

I’m not totally up for sticktricks (and can’t even do some) and my bass player finds it very annoying, the crowd however was usually described as just drinking and eating while watching the concerts.

Now I already wonder what we can do (except as playing as best as we can) to make them more interactive? We will mainly play Rock and some Popmusic.

We also had discussions because I would want us to do something that separates us from other bands who look so bored while playing the local gigs here. And we discussed if we already should do merch after the gig despite being newcomers.

The bass player said no except for some Autogram card he’ll hand out after the gig, my idea was a merch stand or tossing some cool looking merch like a few caps into the crowd if we get them to stand up and like us even some used painted drum heads/my sticks (if we play on a more openair Festival like Stage), my bass player doesn’t like even the merch stand idea and seems super shy and insecure about anything (which in real life he isn’t at all).

We are from Germany so we actually have more freedom on what we can do on concerts than for example it would be the case in the US where they’d sue you for almost everything.

What do you think? What except for playing an as best gig as you can would you do in general and if you’d live in Germany and you wouldn’t be sued if you make a mistake and accidentally hurt someone?

How to get the crowd moving when you play at venues where they just eat, drink and watch concerts and what on a more open air like stage?

Where we’d play are like 2000-5000 visitors.

Some Bass players have utilized Diapers
smoke machines? Strobes?
Jimi Hendrix (lighter fluid) Pete Townsend Keith Moon did novel twirling things with their Instruments

Last edited:
pre-show pass out Egg Shaker's and have audience participation time ?

Maybe I missed something but I find these are odd questions to ask if you will be playing to 2000 - 5000 people.
Have you played to audiences before? What didi you do as a player and what 'got them moving' then?
I'd be focussing on the music, watching the crowd and enjoying the moment.

Depending on the size of your PA
you could maybe hypnotize them.
2-5000 people hypnotized asked to pass to front of the stage $5 each..
Could probably afford a Guitar player,

Maybe I missed something but I find these are odd questions to ask if you will be playing to 2000 - 5000 people.
Have you played to audiences before? What didi you do as a player and what 'got them moving' then?

Yeah, I'm not sure this is where I'd be putting any time into worrying about it.

First, actually get the gig. Second, practice a lot.

I'd hold off on looking into merch or autograph cards at this point. The best way to entertain the crowd is to play well. Stick tricks and throwing stuff into the crowd is a sign of inexperience, not coolness.

The only thing I would add to the above is... I find the simplest way for a band to engage an audience in what they are doing - is to appear to be engaged by it themselves. Meaning - be visible interested in what you are wanting them to be interested in. Eyes on the vocalist when they are the center of attention. Show interest in the guitar solo. Nod approvingly at a cool lick from the bass player. I'm not suggesting anything contrived or overtly showy - just simply pay attention each other in the same ways you'd like your audience to pay attention to you.

The only thing I would add to the above is... I find the simplest way for a band to engage an audience in what they are doing - is to appear to be engaged by it themselves. Meaning - be visible interested in what you are wanting them to be interested in. Eyes on the vocalist when they are the center of attention. Show interest in the guitar solo. Nod approvingly at a cool lick from the bass player. I'm not suggesting anything contrived or overtly showy - just simply pay attention each other in the same ways you'd like your audience to pay attention to you.

^This

If i read correctly it is an event where people have dinner and a band provides (background) music, right?
If i would attend such an event (never done that) i'd be there for the food and enjoy the music, but i wouldn't want a band clap all the time and participate. I mean, i'm eating ;)
I would glance at the stage and would enjoy seeing a band enjoying themselves: have fun, play music etc.
Sitting behind the drums i wouldn't worry about people sitting down. Way different vibe going on compared to 'normal' gig.

pre-show pass out Egg Shaker's and have audience participation time ?
Now that’s fun. Unfortunately I don’t have egg shakers. 😅

To your questions:

1. just two or three times way back then at school, so this would be my first real gig, this was a funny experience. Well, the audience count is the total count of the locations visitors they come for a variety of activities as this is a City Feast.

2. Ok. That’s what I did back then.

Yeah, I'm not sure this is where I'd be putting any time into worrying about it.

First, actually get the gig. Second, practice a lot.

I'd hold off on looking into merch or autograph cards at this point. The best way to entertain the crowd is to play well. Stick tricks and throwing stuff into the crowd is a sign of inexperience, not coolness.
Well, I don’t know if it is just a formality (German offices love formalities) or if it is really hard to get.
For Step 1 they want us to do a short video and send pictures of us.

Oh yeah, we do. 14 Songs till June.

2. Yeah, finally someone who thinks like that about Sticktricks, haha. As for the opinion on throwing things into the crowd, just out of curiosity- why it is a sign of inexperience? If I’d need to guess then 60% of Bands (from hobby bands to professionals) do it sometimes to always here.

Thank you.
Right on I love your enthusiasm. Go get em but you know try to make it a good time for all please, rock it out of town
Thanks. 👍🏽
^This

If i read correctly it is an event where people have dinner and a band provides (background) music, right?
If i would attend such an event (never done that) i'd be there for the food and enjoy the music, but i wouldn't want a band clap all the time and participate. I mean, i'm eating ;)
I would glance at the stage and would enjoy seeing a band enjoying themselves: have fun, play music etc.
Sitting behind the drums i wouldn't worry about people sitting down. Way different vibe going on compared to 'normal' gig.
Not really dinner, just similar to Oktoberfest without the traditional clothing and other music.

Reactions: iCe
My absolute pet peeve is stick tricks.
Only the top ten drummers in the world are good enough at general playing to add something that has nothing to do with playing the song.
If you have absolutely killer time and groove, sure work up some stick tricks. Personally I'm still working on time and groove.
I agree with a few comments above. I try to look enthusiastic, energetic, into the music etc...

My absolute pet peeve is stick tricks.
Only the top ten drummers in the world are good enough at general playing to add something that has nothing to do with playing the song.
If you have absolutely killer time and groove, sure work up some stick tricks. Personally I'm still working on time and groove.
I agree with a few comments above. I try to look enthusiastic, energetic, into the music etc...
I wish I had killer time and most of all Groove.

The vocalist should engage the audience with questions like:

Is there anyone here who enjoys cold beer?

Who wants to get high?
Who is having a good time?
Who is ready to have a good time?
Who is ready to rock?
Is (insert location) ready to rock?
How y'all feel?
You want some more (insert location)?
Can you guys rock harder than (insert rival city)?
What song is it you want to hear?
Are there any ladies in the house?

Oh, if you don’t have a song about the roof being on fire, get one.

The vocalist should engage the audience with questions like:

Is there anyone here who enjoys cold beer?

Who wants to get high?
Who is having a good time?
Who is ready to have a good time?
Who is ready to rock?
Is (insert location) ready to rock?
How y'all feel?
You want some more (insert location)?
Can you guys rock harder than (insert rival city)?
What song is it you want to hear?
Are there any ladies in the house?

Oh, if you don’t have a song about the roof being on fire, get one.
Hahahaha we have „Brennt den Club ab“ (English: burn the club down) that should do it justice.

The best thing you can do is to play well as a band.

You have to play to the room. Not every gig is a show, and you’ll look foolish if you treat it as such. Want to set yourself apart from the other bands? Then play better than any other band that’s played there before.

Be professional, and play to the room.

As for the opinion on throwing things into the crowd, just out of curiosity- why it is a sign of inexperience? If I’d need to guess then 60% of Bands (from hobby bands to professionals) do it sometimes to always here.

I think it comes off as trying too hard, especially if this is your first time out. "If I give them something they'll like me more" is how that action reads to me but I don't think it has that effect on an actual audience. Someone's going to take that stick/shirt/pick home and struggle to remember who you were the next day IF you also weren't really good players.

Perhaps things are different in your area, but I can't remember the last time I went to see a band and they tossed/handed/gave away anything into the crowd.

Unless you are really, really good at stick tricks.. forget about them. There is nothing worse than seeing a drummer with awkward stick tricks.. not impressive at all. Just a bad gimmick that has nothing to do with the music. On the other hand there are some masters of this that make it really entertaining and part of the flow.. but there are not many drummers that can pull it off.

Much better to work on making your body movement when playing look really cool - smooth flowing, dramatic when needed - head up, no slouching - facial expressions (either smiling or goofiness) watch yourself play in a big mirror. Ask yourself - would I want to watch this guy? Watch Shawn Pelton 'the dancing drummer'

As for the band - no stumps allowed. THey need to face the audience and move around to the music.. work out co-ordinated 'moves' for some songs like swinging guitars in unison.. or walking back and forth to stage front and back... lots of things they can do to make it look entertaining.. not just standing like stumps. Wireless works well for this.
Good luck!

I also detest stick tricks, I’be never had any desire to learn how to do them. Seem way too many drummers loosing their groove by doing them badly, having not mastered it.

Each to their own but they aren’t for me and if I see a drummer do them (and poorly) during songs I immediately loose interest.

My own advice, just concentrate on putting the best performance on that you all can. Be really positive, all smile on stage and show you’re happy to be there, like there is no other place you’d rather be.

Be engaging and talk to the audience between songs, to try and get them engaged with you, maybe even try and get them to clap during songs…etc.

All those small things could help, it really depends on the crowds mood and your set so you have to also judge the room in the moment.

Most of all concentrate on putting on the best performance that you all can as that’s the main element.

…..plus most people will be looking at your singer or guitarists anyway 😂

Back