What's your latest purchase?

Snagged a used Black Beauty 14x5 for USD100!!!!!!! I'm sure it's brass because 1) magnets don't stick to it, and 2) there are letter "BR" stamped on the shell under the throw off. There is no sticker inside the drum, so 1) I can't date it, and 2) it might be a "B stock". I'm also sure the hoops are 2.3mm because they feel as heavy as my Pearl Superhoops II's. It came with no lug gaskets. The previous owner probably removed them to maximize resonance. A string/strap lock screw on the P85 throw has a loose thread, and the P33 butt plate is too close to the snare-side head hoop, so I ordered a new P88ac set. I put on a fresh Ambassador coated, and a used Diplomat snare side, and it sounded absolutely WICKED!

You might notice from the picture though that the snare-side hoop looks skewed. Thankfully it's just the head collar that is crooked. So I ordered a new 2mil reso head too.

The cost of the drum, the P88ac, and the new heads are still less than half the usual price of a used one. I really lucked out on this one. Of all my used purchases, this has to be the best.

View attachment 126854
Ok, I always say I don't like the imperial lugs but at that price, I cold make an exception!!!

Took some advice from Rob Beatdown Brown and grabbed some “bats” for pad practice. Here is a pic next to some 5Bs
View attachment 126979
I did the same after he had done a video when he started to use them and I like them a lot, I like the one that have a longer taper, they call it the "balance ones"? Not sure...Also, the black grip is very good too.

Well, I love my new Ludwig single tom mount, but the down tube going into the bass drum was way too long. I think the down tube is like 18" total. A pain to pack and it adds unnecessary weight. So I enlisted the help of my friend Micky, who is the lead faculty member of the machining program over at the local college. He cut it down for me in 2 minutes in his lab and deburred it too; much more professional looking than if I'd done it with a hacksaw! You can see how little downtube I need in photo #2, the memory lock is set from the bass drum bracket.

Attachments

• tom1.jpg
    tom1.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 15
  • tom2.jpg
    tom2.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 15
Well sure, the reference!!!! Also, it seems you have a big room, right?

It's definitely not a small room! The main studio is in a converted 2-car garage, but I do also have a pretty sweet dining room with high ceilings that I use for horns and lively sounds.

I do have to say that I'm absolutely blown away by this U87. It's already getting used on vocals on a record I'm producing, and it's giving me none of the super sizzly top end I've heard from U87s in the past. Just big and clear.

Nice. Are those "Brilliants"?
Probably not. I just hit them with polish compound and a low heat/friction cut pad on a DA Polisher.
Use an IPA spray to remove compound residue, oils, etc.
Apply a quality carnauba spray wax... Buff... Bam.... Done.

Turned out sweet.

(If it wasn't obvious I'm a automotive detailer enthusiast. Auto products are great choices for drums and cymbals)

Apply a quality carnauba spray wax... Buff... Bam.... Done.
You probably wouldn't do it if it did but does the wax change the sound of a cymbal at all?

I clean my cymbals more often than I'd like because they oxidize so quickly... because I clean them so often. I've tried Pledge furniture polish and it's okay but maybe carnauba wax would be better. I'm loath to change the sound of my cymbals however, so the solution has to be acoustically transparent.

You probably wouldn't do it if it did but does the wax change the sound of a cymbal at all?

I clean my cymbals more often than I'd like because they oxidize so quickly... because I clean them so often. I've tried Pledge furniture polish and it's okay but maybe carnauba wax would be better. I'm loath to change the sound of my cymbals however, so the solution has to be acoustically transparent.
No. No noticeable difference at all. I've been using Carnauba Wax as a sealant for cymbals for years. The Auto spray waxes have been heaven sent. Made the seal job much easier.

Automotive spray wax is very thin, but seals bronze nicely, without 24 hours later patina. Automotive products really are great for drums and cymbals.

Edit... Also, Carnauba wax in spray form really is what you're looking for to avoid what you outlined above. I know EXACTLY what you mean, so go to an auto store and find a high quality Spray Wax product that contain a good amount of actual wax.

I use this as I'm in Australia and I support local... https://www.bowdensown.com.au/lazy-wax

BUT (for the U.S, sorry yammyfan I'm going out on a limb and assuming you're US. Correct me if I'm incorrect. and I'm sorry if I am. forgive me.)... this product has a good proven track record with their other lines, so look into this... https://www.303products.com.au/product-range/automotive/303-spray-wax

Even though the 303 says it contains cleaners as well as protective carnauba wax, try to find a spray wax that is mostly carnauba wax, as this is what we're most looking for in a spray wax. (do your product research is what I'm saying)

Please do let me know if this assists with the dreaded oxidize issue you mentioned.

All the best my fellow drummer. :)

Last edited:
@yammyfan

Here is a 16 inch Paiste Sound Formula Crash that I clean/protected (as mentioned above) the same time I did those 70's Zildjian Hi-Hats. (the Hi-Hats are in a case that is difficult for me to get to right now).

a week or so later... still lookin good.

I guess I can add this to the thread as this is a new to me as well. (y)😁

IMG_20221120_192237-edited.jpg

I know, you're right, it was one of my questions but they say there is a special suspended and isolated capsule mountedmsuspension inside that avoid this effect. Also, in this position, it will be Tom Floor and fat snare, tuned in a#2 so, I don't use a lot of rimshot.
That said, because the clamp took several weeks to come in, I had a horse shoe bass drum mic stand for the one under it and one on top with a normal mic as well. But it's again one more stand in the area of the guitarist so, if I could avoid it, that would be a plus.
I was supposed to test that tonight with my friend coming in but I Had a little procedure at the hospital that was a bit painful and couldn't see myself listening and checking recording.
So, I will let you all know if, for a snare, the V-beat plus clamps work, it's supposed to be able to be used like that as well....
As of now, I put the horse shoe mic under snare number 3, it was attached to the snare stand previously and it was hard to unlock the snare due to the mechanism being just in on top of the clamp. I will see, thanks for the question.
To reply to cbphoto @cbphoto, I tried it with the clamp on the rims with a pretty heavy hitter yesterday and nothing, no bad sound, so, what I did is that I used the shoe horse stand for the other snare, on the far left, that had a clamp attached directly to the main pole of the snare stands but a way I couldn't remove the snare anymore, the clamp blocking the mechanism to release the arms. So now, no issue anymore, I use two long metallic gooseneck to attach the top mic on the horse shoe mic stand, the last one supporting the bottom mic. So, less room taken and one stand for 2 Mics, works perfectly.

I know, you're right, it was one of my questions but they say there is a special suspended and isolated capsule mountedmsuspension inside that avoid this effect. Also, in this position, it will be Tom Floor and fat snare, tuned in a#2 so, I don't use a lot of rimshot.
That said, because the clamp took several weeks to come in, I had a horse shoe bass drum mic stand for the one under it and one on top with a normal mic as well. But it's again one more stand in the area of the guitarist so, if I could avoid it, that would be a plus.
I was supposed to test that tonight with my friend coming in but I Had a little procedure at the hospital that was a bit painful and couldn't see myself listening and checking recording.
So, I will let you all know if, for a snare, the V-beat plus clamps work, it's supposed to be able to be used like that as well....
As of now, I put the horse shoe mic under snare number 3, it was attached to the snare stand previously and it was hard to unlock the snare due to the mechanism being just in on top of the clamp. I will see, thanks for the question.
To reply to cbphoto @cbphoto, I tried it with the clamp on the rims with a pretty heavy hitter yesterday and nothing, no bad sound, so, what I did is that I used the shoe horse stand for the other snare, on the far left, that had a clamp attached diry to the main pole of the snare stands bin a way I couldn't remove the snare anymore, the clamp blocking the machinism to release the arms. So now, no issue anymore, I use two long metallic stiff to attaché the top mic on the horse shoe mic stand, the last one supporting the bottom mic. So, less room taken and one stand for 2 Mics, works perfectly.

Back