What's your latest purchase?

That exemplifies why I've never benefitted from possessing an assortment of snares at once. One snare has always risen to the top as my unrivaled favorite, and others have stagnated in a closet. I now have only one snare, my 14"x5" Music City Custom. I gave my backup snare to my son recently, and I have no plans to get another. The one I have is the only one I want to play, and there isn't a setting or a style of music it can't handle. I'll be riding the single-snare bus until fate dictates otherwise, though I can't conceive circumstances that would warrant a change.
Perhaps a side snare? I keep a piccolo snare tucked in between the main snare and the 16" FT, but some might feel too crowded.

Perhaps a side snare? I keep a piccolo snare tucked in between the main snare and the 16" FT, but some might feel too crowded.
I doubt I'd get any use out of a side snare. It would just sit there and languish. If anything, I'd add a second floor tom to my kit, but that's not necessary either, so I have no plans to do it. I'm happy with a four-piece (snare, bass, tom, and floor tom) and can't conceive going larger than that again. My gear philosophy is this: If I can get by without it, I will. Less maintenance -- and less transport -- makes a happy drummer in my case.

I doubt I'd get any use out of a side snare. It would just sit there and languish. If anything, I'd add a second floor tom to my kit, but that's not necessary either, so I have no plans to do it. I'm happy with a four-piece (snare, bass, tom, and floor tom) and can't conceive going larger than that again. My gear philosophy is this: If I can get by without it, I will. Less maintenance -- and less transport -- makes a happy drummer in my case.
I can understand that depending on the genre of music it doesn't make sense.

I enjoy playing jazz, funk and fusion in addition to hard rock and even some softer 'standards', so a couple of extra things to hit is always fun. I recently sold off several snares that I had collected over the last year or so - probably to maintain my sanity during this crazy time since I don't play golf or really have any other hobbies besides a fairlly small coin collection I started in 1977. But if I were gigging one night stands again such as private parties and company events, I would use a standard 5 pc kit, one snare, hats & 3 cymbals.

Attachments

• side snare.jpg
    side snare.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 9
So, because I purchased using Paypal, I went to their site, and in 5 minutes had filled out the form, uploaded supporting evidence and they refunded the full amount.
That's a relief, glad it worked out in that respect (minus not getting the snare). The bogus tracking has been brought up recently (forgot who posted) but the shipment went pass their home and ended up in Kuwait or something...oops, lost your 'shipment' but not the payment. These sites are stealing out search data, re-using previous sales data and completely scamming consumers on their window shopping searchers. I saw private reserve Craviottos going for $50, lol

That's a relief, glad it worked out in that respect (minus not getting the snare). The bogus tracking has been brought up recently (forgot who posted) but the shipment went pass their home and ended up in Kuwait or something...oops, lost your 'shipment' but not the payment. These sites are stealing out search data, re-using previous sales data and completely scamming consumers on their window shopping searchers. I saw private reserve Craviottos going for $50, lol
Thanks! Yeah, you would think at my age I would have learned "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". They'll not get me again!

Thanks! Yeah, you would think at my age I would have learned "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". They'll not get me again!
I wouldn't put yourself down on it, it's designed to be very tricky and deceiving. I think I was looking as less expensive items like cymbals and at first look very tempting at great used prices which sometimes happens, wow! Then I was noticing they sell clothes too...and very similar to my wife's tastes, hmm :unsure:

1. Tama CSH5 Hi-hat stack. Great little thing to put on your hi-hat rod. Going to use it to either mount my 4 or 6" Paiste accent from.
2. Two pairs of Vic Firth SD9 Driver Maple sticks. Just to try them out. Was going for the Vater SD9 Maple, but there are €2,- cheaper, so yeah... and that VF are good sticks!
3. Tama HS80PW Snare Stand. Designed For 10 and 12" snares. I have a 10" snare, but mounting it on the rack with an ISS clamp is not working.
4. Tama short hi-hat rod. I think the original is bent, so time to replace it. Top hi-hat isn't completely horizontal anymore because of the bent rod.
5. Millennium Drill Bit Key. Been wanting this forever so i can use a drill to quickly replace heads etc.
6. A pack of Dunlop Nylin Max Grip 0.88 guitar picks. Not drum related, but i like to strum a bit sometimes and for the life of me i can't seem to find the previous set I've ordered!

Let's start with a photo of the kit I played on Thursday here in downtown Raleigh:

D78E13F8-798B-4D17-A931-5861670A7514.jpeg

There are a couple new things

LP Blast Block high
19" Legacy Crash (traded the 18" HHX Complex Thin for it, to better pair with the 20" Complex)
19" '96 K Zildjian China Boy

45A2F91F-5803-4B97-9257-C61F07700444.jpeg

This might be THE best sounding Zildjian China I have ever heard. It fits perfectly with the rest of the kit, both in tonality and volume. Seems to sound less agressive non-inverted.

The 19" HHX Legacy makes a nice counterpart for the 20" HHX Complex Thin in the #1 position. The 18" Complex just kinda sounded lame in comparison, but the Legacy is a different-yet-complementary character.

And the blast block allowed me to play left-hand clave with the Latin band, which gave me an entirely new way to work the dynamics of the show. Big improvement; less drummer, more percussionist.

I just got and fixed up this Tama Artstar brass. Initially I had serious buyer’s remorse, because I overpaid (it was late at night and I was stoned) and it got bent up in shipping. But even though the smart thing would have been to return it for a refund, I decided to fix it instead. Reshaped it, put on some brass tube lugs, vintage COB hoops, and Ludwig heads, and WOW! It sounds and plays amazing. Even the physical feel when playing, I don’t know how much is from the bounce off the heads and how much is in the audible sensitivity, but it just feels awesome to play.

FCEE7AC1-20F1-4BDD-B447-2266F1179B56.jpeg

Added the DW MDD to my pedal collection. As well as a Istanbul Agop xist dry dark ride

11DEA029-CE08-4305-9CFC-BD177D3FD1EC.jpegFD486280-D1FA-48C4-9F37-2BD4B95C6933.jpeg

Those are beautiful, i us Istanbul Mehmet sultans and love them.. great company :)

My quest for darker cymbal sounds continues with this set of Istanbul Mehmet’s Black Sea 1623 cymbal set . This particular line has more shimmer than you would expect by looking at them . They are not particularly dry either . They controlled and warm sounding cymbals . The crashes and hihats are particularly excellent .View attachment 109213

So a few weeks ago I went on and on about this nasty flea market find Ludwig snare. A 1940 Standard 7x14 mahagony shell. Put Evans G1 coated in top. Has an effortlessly loud crack with a killer rimshot. Three applications of Tung Oil. Here it is all put back to its Birthday Suit...

Attachments

• IMAG1029.jpg
    IMAG1029.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMAG1062.jpg
    IMAG1062.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG1063.jpg
    IMAG1063.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 25
Stopped by one of my usual music stores and happened upon this Tama double tom mount which replaces my Frankenmount shown in the third photo.
I think it’s a lot cleaner looking, and a little less chrome in the grill doesn’t bother me much

Attachments

• 8D70CCFF-1407-4CDE-956C-3E99BF85BC47.jpeg
    8D70CCFF-1407-4CDE-956C-3E99BF85BC47.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 25
  • BC9A693B-8861-466A-A7D9-A7A725A599B7.jpeg
    BC9A693B-8861-466A-A7D9-A7A725A599B7.jpeg
    567 KB · Views: 25
  • 92B059E2-A4CA-4930-B9EE-14DB25A7B885.jpeg
    92B059E2-A4CA-4930-B9EE-14DB25A7B885.jpeg
    541.4 KB · Views: 25
Back