What's your latest purchase?

I picked up a set of the new-ish Carter McLean signature sticks and they very quickly became my favorite!!! Just ordered a ton more.

Exceptional balance with a very cool tip shape that allows you to get several different sounds out of the cymbals based on your angle of attack.

They are between a 5A and a 5b and I've found them delicate enough for Jazz with a little more horsepower for the funk stuff (and I'm sure rock).

Great to try if it isn't on your radar!!

Attachments

• IMG_7445.jpg
    IMG_7445.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I picked up a set of the new-ish Carter McLean signature sticks and they very quickly became my favorite!!! Just ordered a ton more.

Exceptional balance with a very cool tip shape that allows you to get several different sounds out of the cymbals based on your angle of attack.

They are between a 5A and a 5b and I've found them delicate enough for Jazz with a little more horsepower for the funk stuff (and I'm sure rock).

Great to try if it isn't on your radar!!

It's on my radar now!..ive been endlessly searching for new old stock Vinnie zildjian or Firth sticks with no luck. Because of your description they sound perfect. I'm doing the investigating right now. Oh..i love how Carter makes ride cymbals I would never think twice about into must haves. You've got me excited now.

It's on my radar now!..ive been endlessly searching for new old stock Vinnie zildjian or Firth sticks with no luck. Because of your description they sound perfect. I'm doing the investigating right now. Oh..i love how Carter makes ride cymbals I would never think twice about into must haves. You've got me excited now.

Oh dude - if you liked the vinnie's you'll like these.

I liked those too a lot with the exception of the tip and how it sounds on cymbals - these solve that problem!

FB9FE049-35EB-40F8-AF05-B6B7DEB7674A.jpeg

That big gray box with the blue knobs is a Stam Audio clone of the Neve 33609 compressor. I ordered it two and a half years ago, and have had it paid off for a couple months, and it finally arrived on Friday. This will be my go-to drum buss compressor for future mixes and it sounds absolutely marvelous!

However, after getting the "we'll ship yours this week" runaround for the last six months, I will not be ordering any more Stam gear. This ran about a quarter of what a real Neve goes for, but that's some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced. If it's not done, just tell me it isn't ready!

Last edited:
This is the first snare drum I've purchased since getting my Guru six years ago. I've been wanting to try the whole brass shell w/ die cast hoops thing and whenI saw this new for $300 I snatched it up.I added the hoops and my favorite snare head, Aquarian Jack DeJohnette. I put it to work at an outdoor rock gig last night and it delivered mightily on the rimshot backbeats and side sticks.
View attachment 105969
Wow, six years. I picked up three just this past month. I fell off the wagon and haven’t figured out how to get back on it. A Tama Star Grand Reserve steambent Birdseye maple is sitting in my living room, waiting for me to open the box.

plus a pair of Vic Firth Barrel 5B's cause I might be going up a size
I tried going from (Promark) 5A to their 5B and I liked the feel in my hand but it changed my cymbal play too much. I lost all kinds of articulation and nuance and it felt like I was ruthlessly clubbing my pies. I’m sure it’s user error, tho.

I tried going from (Promark) 5A to their 5B and I liked the feel in my hand but it changed my cymbal play too much. I lost all kinds of articulation and nuance and it felt like I was ruthlessly clubbing my pies. I’m sure it’s user error, tho.
I can see what you mean by interfering with how you play cymbals. Quick swells and hi hat/ride stuff feel weird. Same with some snare stuff, but I like the feel and the amount of power I can get when doing anything else. Definitely need to get used to it, and won't be trashing my 5As anytime soon.

Part of my 50th birthday present to myself, along with the kit I have on order. 6.5” bnob and 7” purpleheart. Copious quantities of that good DW kool aid caused some serious GAS. Don’t worry, all you naysayers; I still practice a lot and I got these drums because I love the sound of them + they serve a specific purpose for me. I’m not a collector.

Scored a gig with a local guy who competed on The Voice right before Christmas last year. He did well (runner up), and the post-tv show events are starting to materialize. These drums will work out great for me playing his shows (1.5K to 5K seaters).

View attachment 105894
Awesome DW snares, I really appreciate the build quality and sound which is comparable to the ‘bigger’ names.
And just out of curiosity, do you only buy drums for a specific purpose? Is there any reason why a drummer would not also be a collector of such a vitally important component of a kit if it could help expand one’s repertoire?

Evans E-rings. Probably the most boring, least expensive "game changing" purchase I've made. Perfect for playing at home or practice room.

Awesome DW snares, I really appreciate the build quality and sound which is comparable to the ‘bigger’ names.
And just out of curiosity, do you only buy drums for a specific purpose? Is there any reason why a drummer would not also be a collector of such a vitally important component of a kit if it could help expand one’s repertoire?

Good questions! That part of my post was just a snarky little jab at DW haters and also those who somehow equate buying new gear to being a collector and not a player.

What's the strap on the tension rod to the right of the badge for? Some kind of muffler, or maybe it's a marching snare. :LOL:
Thanks for asking! That is part of the leather Guru dampener Andy included with my segmented walnut snare. The portion on the tension rod has a snap to which the dampener attaches. Similar to this but with the Guru logo embossed on the top of it:
1625711104943.png

6.5x14 Tama Star Grand Reserve birdseye maple steambent (solid ply). Yes, I’ve fallen off the wagon hard and really need to figure out how to get back on. One of five worldwide. Thank you DCP!
Wait, are you serious Clark? I am green with envy…actually I celebrate with you. Indeed that’s one amazing looking drum and I bet it sounds better than it looks.

Back