What's your latest purchase?

Thanks.
I know it's nothing fancy, but I am very pleased, and definitely having fun!

I doubt anyone's gonna laugh, bro. Everybody started somewhere, most not with a $5000 kit. You took a step in a pretty awesome (in my very biased opinion) journey. Even more awesome if you're having fun. Kudos!

IMG_1971.jpgBought this 14 x 5 Acrolite a few weeks ago. Its a couple of years old. Not because I needed another snare but it was a good price by Oz standards and I was keen to try one out as they come with good reviews.. It came with the Ludwig stock heads. I replaced the top head with a Genera Dry I had lying around.( I also put on a P88 strainer as the one that came with it was a pain to use). I can see why people love them. Tuned up tight on the reso and medium high on the batter, it just sounds terrific. It may well be my go to snare.

Thanks! :)

After reading many similar stories, I feel very lucky to have it...
It took me a while to get it together, and it took a lot of very big small things to make it happen, but I am appreciative, and I play it as often as possible. ;)

I like the color, congratulation's. My first drum kit was far far worse LOL

That's one hell of a kit and selection of sizes, congrats.

What are the sizes in full?

10", 12", and 13" toms, 14" and 16" floor toms so far. (An 18" floor tom was ordered this week.) 18", 20", 22" and 24" bass drums, a 5" x 14" and 6.5 x 14" matching snare drums round out the shell bank. A drummer friend called me a slacker for not ordering the 8". :D

I retired in 2009 and have been playing in multiple bands ever since. In January of 2019 I decided to splurge and buy one last kit. I ordered this set of USA Customs in 10", 12", 14", 16" and 22". While I was waiting for that kit to be built a life long friend talked me into taking a part time job as bartender at the bar that their family has owned for forty years. Suddenly I had a couple of hundred dollars of fun money per week. When the new kit arrived this past June I decided to sell off a few vintage kits that I had and go all in on a shell bank. This allows me to cover any gig and takes up a lot less space than multiple kits.

My wife rolls her eyes, but is very supportive. She loves her drum obsessed husband anyway. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks! :)

After reading many similar stories, I feel very lucky to have it...
It took me a while to get it together, and it took a lot of very big small things to make it happen, but I am appreciative, and I play it as often as possible. ;)

Welcome to the world of drummers and drums. (And welcome to the site!) People here will be happy to answer any questions and help you on your journey as a drummer.

10", 12", and 13" toms, 14" and 16" floor toms so far. (An 18" floor tom was ordered this week.) 18", 20", 22" and 24" bass drums, a 5" x 14" and 6.5 x 14" matching snare drums round out the shell bank. A drummer friend called me a slacker for not ordering the 8". :D

Wow, great set of purchases, you’re covered for any musical situation. Hope to hear some audio/video of them at some stage.

Congrats again.

...update- New latest purchase is a Pearl Short Fuse snare drum.

Very responsive, and surprisingly versatile with different tunings.

It was so cute I couldn't resist, and makes for a great part of a practice mini-kit. :)

A Paiste 18" Sig. Dark Energy Mk1 crash. It blends nicely with the regular Signature crash.

Nice finish! If that's where the kit usually sits, if I were you, I'd move it away from the sunlight coming in the window, lest the finish gets faded. But it looks like you just staged it there for the (great looking) photo...?

Okay, but,,, please, no laughter, okay? :)
There is no right or wrong way to set drums up but there are better ways in my humble opinion. Look at some photos on line or here,and try to get your rack toms flatter and closer. It will just make moving around the set easier.

Nice finish! If that's where the kit usually sits, if I were you, I'd move it away from the sunlight coming in the window, lest the finish gets faded. But it looks like you just staged it there for the (great looking) photo...?
It's positioned where I usually take photo's :) It's ok to sit there for a while also as the glass all has UV Protection :)

Just got a 20" Cymbal & Gong Holy Grail Jazz Ride to replace one I sold to a friend in Germany. 1893 grams with a special patina that dries the sound out a bit. Super cool, funky, traditional jazz sound. If you're in Seattle, we're doing a meet on March 16th where we'll have a bunch of these available. Shoot me a private message if you're interested in coming and checking them out...

Back