What's your latest purchase?

Got heads and this new kit tuned up. Pearl has impressed the hell out of me, my first real kit was an export I bought myself brand new when I was 17. For some reason I just always equated Pearl with mass produced entry level kits. But these higher end kits are made to last and built with quality.

I need to move my AQ2 kit and then put these in its place so I can mike them up and see how they sound.

7B55D66A-34DB-4FF8-B70A-ADC820BBC5A0.jpegB5045D4A-EF23-48D6-8427-A4AD40776206.jpeg

Got heads and this new kit tuned up. Pearl has impressed the hell out of me, my first real kit was an export I bought myself brand new when I was 17. For some reason I just always equated Pearl with mass produced entry level kits. But these higher end kits are made to last and built with quality.

I need to move my AQ2 kit and then put these in its place so I can mike them up and see how they sound.

View attachment 112145View attachment 112146

Bueno
E3B44FC8-3512-45A4-A1C1-30B21B0D0F7F.gif
1. 20 Constantinople med thin high ride
2. 18 A Custom effects crash
3. Bc 2030 cymbal stand
All used in excellent condition.

You will love the bc2030 stand.
The hideaway knurled arm is like a mini rack.

Latest purchase? I went to the dark side and bought a 4 string bass and amp.......been wanting to learn bass for years....I figured after 38+ years of drums I could finally "branch out" a bit........lol

Call it a pandemic purchase or a mid life crisis, both are fine with me.

I added this insanely great sounding 18” Meinl Byzance Jazz extra thin crash.

Love the way this cymbal sounds!

View attachment 111803
I have a 17" jazz, same I think, thin, maybe not extra thin...I'm still looking for an another 18", the only one that I have is a Sabian AAX Xplosion shorts crash and I was told that the meinl jazz 18" medium will blend well with the 17" light jazz crash... But I'm still thinking to buy a Paiste Dark Energy 17" that will go well with my 19" and the 15" (16" cut professionally die to small crack...). Not sure which one to choose though, the Meinl might be darker than the Paiste right?
Anyway, I'm sure it's a great cymbal.
Picked up this Tama Glide ride throne from Reverb and it arrived today . It is a Nitro style throne , super stable and very comfortable . I had been using a Roc N Soc for the last twenty years . Decided to try something else and the Tama fit the bill . I learned years ago not to scrimp on drum thrones . View attachment 111774
The stand seems to be the same as my Tama first chair, shape is the same too...Glide throne means it has an hydraulic instead?

It's been a long, tough few years and I came into an unexpected side-gig and Krampus said I deserved something special for Festivus so...

View attachment 111889

...my new (to me) 17" Meinl Byzance Dark Crash.

Got a rare Reverb coupon, saw this beauty and badda-bing. It's my first time actually playing one; I'd tried one out a bit at a store years ago, but hadn't been able to really give it a go at the time. And playing it in conjunction with my other 17" crashes (a Zildjian A thin, a Paiste 2002 and a Sabian AAX Concept) I was surprised by how quiet it was relative to them, and just how quickly it tapers off. I kinda love it, I think, but only time will tell if it's true love or just an infatuation. I also think I see why so many people who play Byzance Dark stuff seem to prefer much larger sizes.
Yes, I was planning to buy the 19" but found a tradition Byzance in 19" used at a great price at my shop and this, ordered the 17"... That was my second new cymbal out of my list below and I still have it, it's really great, I'm pretty sure you will like it...and yes, the cymbal close to it, beside the 19" Trad I the AAX Xplosion 18" and it blend really well, I was really shocked by that too, so, maybe that's why I be kept it.

I was not planning to buy anything at Boxing Day but they had two Aston Reflection filters at 199 instead of 400 Can$. I bought only one at first , thinking to use it on Voice of course but after Having read that they also could be Used on room mic or OH or guitar Amp mic, I bought the second one as I have a stéréo set up for Guitar. When going to the store to pick them up, they had this audio technica mic AT4041 at 199 instead of 450 Can$ so, even if I Already have a 4031 (previous model) and two 4041, I said to myself, well, if I want to try them on OH and still have one on ride an one on Hihat, I could do it. Plus on congas or horns, Will be Great too....AND at 199!!!

I finally got around to replacing the cheap, stock snare wire on my Imperialstar. It has made a noticeable difference!
PureSoundSnareWire30.jpg

Latest purchase? I went to the dark side and bought a 4 string bass and amp.......been wanting to learn bass for years....I figured after 38+ years of drums I could finally "branch out" a bit........lol

Call it a pandemic purchase or a mid life crisis, both are fine with me.
Which bass and amp?

Which bass and amp?

Nothing crazy, since I am literally starting from scratch and have no near term plans to be on a stage anywhere but behind a kit I got a Yamaha TRBX 174EW slightly used for short money and a new Fender Rumble 40.......I wanted the direct out etc on the 40. Cant really complain with only $400 invested in all of it........all my primary hobbies are outdoor recreation of some sort so this is a good rainy day distraction. Plus since I am working 100% from home now I can noodle in between meetings and not annoy my wife working upstairs in her office........headphone jack is key.

I have a 17" jazz, same I think, thin, maybe not extra thin...I'm still looking for an another 18", the only one that I have is a Sabian AAX Xplosion shorts crash and I was told that the meinl jazz 18" medium will blend well with the 17" light jazz crash... But I'm still thinking to buy a Paiste Dark Energy 17" that will go well with my 19" and the 15" (16" cut professionally die to small crack...). Not sure which one to choose though, the Meinl might be darker than the Paiste right?
Anyway, I'm sure it's a great cymbal.

The stand seems to be the same as my Tama first chair, shape is the same too...Glide throne means it has an hydraulic instead?
You can’t go wrong with Either. I love the Dark Energy Crash…. I do think the jazz crash will be a little shorter in sustain

I'm interested to see how you get on with the bass. I love bass. I have a nice bass and amp but I don't know how to play it. I do what I can which isn't much. I didn't have a bass most of my life. I definitely need help learning to play one because it doesn't come natural. I play it from a guitar players perspective. I'm not a guitar player either but I've had one most of my life. I LOVE chords so much. Bass isn't geared for chords like guitar and piano are. Plus a bass players perspective...I don't have that. That's kind of necessary. Playing with a funky bass player is more my speed lol.

I bought a bass a number of years ago ( Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass) and Amp (Ampeg BA 110). I never got serious with it . It is my resolution this year to get serious about learning . I signed up for Fender Play online lessons and I am starting back up today .

Like Larry - I work from home and plan to practice between conference calls

Back