What's your latest purchase?

lefty2

Platinum Member
How do you like the Trick beater? I usually play the standard Danmar felt and red wood beaters, heavier than wood?
I've been wondering about the trick beaters also and I'm use Danmar reds.

Frosticles

Silver Member
Looks pretty clean to me! Maybe bust out the chrome polish?! Beautiful Kit.
Has been stood for many years. All the paint has faded & the chrome has tarnished. I am off paint matching today :)

alparrott

Platinum Member
Finally got around to ordering legs and brackets to convert a 12x14 mounted tom to a floor tom. And therein lies a story:

A lot of the cost in converting a mounted tom to a floor tom is in shipping. Somehow three small brackets the size of a pack of gum, plus three legs, requires $25 total shipping costs from many online places. So when Musician's Friend listed the legs and brackets for free shipping, saving me $25, I went for it. But this is Musician's Friend, the same people who strung me along for over a month of missed shipping and delivery dates on my Ludwig Atlas boom stands earlier this year, and who also don't show how many of an item they have in stock on their website. What could possibly go wrong?

I ordered three brackets; they shipped two. Instead of backordering the third and contacting me, they outright cancelled it. (Because when someone orders three floor tom legs and three brackets, obviously they don't need that third bracket for anything, right?) When I contacted them to complain they wanted me to resubmit an order to put one on backorder. I declined.

The two brackets were shipped separately, arrived on different days, and were way overpackaged in huge boxes with tons of packing material. These are tiny, durable metal brackets, not stacks of fine china.

I ordered the third from a smaller retailer for a few dollars more that MF and it arrived today at the same time as the second bracket from MF. It was wrapped in one thin layer of bubble wrap in a size-appropriate envelope, and the bracket was of course not damaged.

TL;DR: I ordered parts from Musician's Friend, they did silly things to the order; this isn't the first time but will be the last.

Last edited:

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Finally got around to ordering legs and brackets to convert a 12x14 mounted tom to a floor tom. And therein lies a story:

A lot of the cost in converting a mounted tom to a floor tom is in shipping. Somehow three small brackets the size of a pack of gum, plus three legs, requires $25 total shipping costs from many online places. So when Musician's Friend listed the legs and brackets for free shipping, saving me $25, I went for it. But this is Musician's Friend, the same people who strung me along for over a month of missed shipping and delivery dates on my Ludwig Atlas boom stands earlier this year, and who also don't show how many of an item they have in stock on their website. What could possibly go wrong?

I ordered three brackets; they shipped two. Instead of backordering the third and contacting me, they outright cancelled it. (Because when someone orders three floor tom legs and three brackets, obviously they don't need that third bracket for anything, right?) When I contacted them to complain they wanted me to resubmit an order to put one on backorder. I declined.

The two brackets were shipped separately, arrived on different days, and were way overpackaged in huge boxes with tons of packing material. These are tiny, durable metal brackets, not stacks of fine china.

I ordered the third from a smaller retailer for a few dollars more that MF and it arrived today at the same time as the second bracket from MF.

TL;DR: I ordered parts from Musician's Friend, they did silly things to the order; this isn't the first time but will be the last.

There’s a lot to learn in that story

Neilage

I finally purchased one of my bucket list cymbals:

17" Zildjian K Custom Special Dry Trash Crash.

I have been a Paiste-only guy for years and was hoping to love one of the PST X effects cymbals.

However, when I heard this cymbal, that was it.

Zildjian_17_K_Custom_Special_Dry_Trash_Crash_-_987g_972x.jpeg

Last edited:

Hewitt2

20” HH Sabian Leopard Ride. 3000 grams.

I’m curious about this cymbal and got a pretty good price on it. There isn’t much literature about it but it definitely seems to be a ping heavy cymbal with a clear/cutting bell. Not crashable. Anyone with insights they can share?

I’ve got some lighter and heavier 21” rides so this should fit nicely in the collection.

Attachments

• 3FEF9D3D-B2D2-43E5-98C7-40742041AB98.jpeg
    3FEF9D3D-B2D2-43E5-98C7-40742041AB98.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 9

C.M. Jones

20” HH Sabian Leopard Ride. 3000 grams.

I’m curious about this cymbal and got a pretty good price on it. There isn’t much literature about it but it definitely seems to be a ping heavy cymbal with a clear/cutting bell. Not crashable. Anyone with insights they can share?

I’ve got some lighter and heavier 21” rides so this should fit nicely in the collection.
I've never heard one, but I love the look. There was a time when I gravitated toward brilliant finishes I could keep spotless through polishing, but those days are dead. I now prefer a worn and blemished surface that calls for no cleaning beyond dust removal. You've definitely got that here.

Last edited:

Justinhub2003

How do you like the Trick beater? I usually play the standard Danmar felt and red wood beaters, heavier than wood?
I love the trick beater. I don’t think my drum heads like it but I love the consistent sound I get out of it.

That said, it’s not for everything, I have roughly 15 or 20 beaters I switch out depending on how I want it to sound.

but my biggest thing about the trick is I love the way it feels. Not too heavy not too light but packs a punch

Justinhub2003

Woah! Beautiful! How does it feel?

still getting it dialed in but even out of the box it felt great.

I still think my favorite pedal is the Pearl eliminator Redline though.

but on first impression I do think I like the DW feel over my Trick Big Foot

Justinhub2003

Why is he wearing a mask? Was there a studio audience? 🤔

im assuming this was filmed at the height of the pandemic and likely restrictions around indoor mask wearing in places of business

Justinhub2003

I've been wondering about the trick beaters also and I'm use Danmar reds.
The trick dominator is a really great beater. It’s not as heavy as most people would expect. It’s lighter than the DW beater that comes with this pedal even with only 2 of the brass inserts.

I think the balance and feel of the dominator pedal is super good.
Wearas I don’t really like the way the trick beaters that came standard on my Trick Big Foot pedal.