What's your "day" job?

I ponder the universe mostly and try to read and learn something new. I often play drums to music while I'm pondering about something-some of my best ideas come when I'm doing something else like gardening, drumming, swimming laps-though I forget my lap count just like my good ideas LOL.

After 22 year as an operations manager in telecom, I left and now have two jobs. I'm a Realtor and I teach guitar lessons a couple of days a week.

Small world. I'm in telecom and also in California. Didn't know it was possible to leave the industry haha.

I am a middle school art teacher in rural Kentucky, teaching grades 5-8. Yes, middle schoolers are insane, but I'm never bored.

Domestic Overlord.

Cleaning, repairing, remodeling, mowing, trimming, plumbing, wiring, painting, digging, planting, and anything else that needs to be done at my house, I do it. That's my new job, and I love it. I still don't cook though, no one wants to eat my food.

My speaker factory job was killing me, and my wife was tired of being stuck at home. So we swapped, and so far it's easier on everyone's well being. Life is much better this way. Money is less, but we don't care.

Well, It was playing music................. As of this week I am now unemployed :(

A Registered Nurse in Intensive Care......so my employment opportunities have exploded exponentially as of late.

We will be a COVID-19 only unit in time I forsee.

I find it curious that on a drumming forum, 99% of respondents don't get their money from drumming.

I don't think I'd like to be drumming full time. Too much of a good thing isn't a good thing anymore for me.

I tour quite a bit, 3-4 months a year, but I’ve had to get a day job when I got home. After one year in between bands I realized starting my own business is the best idea.

I am kind of a music snob and I won’t play with anyone I don’t respect or enjoy regardless of pay.

I’ve now gotten to the point that the business is on autopilot. I tour slightly less, but I’m more “signed” now than I ever was. It was worth working in the van and cafes going to and waiting on the shows I was playing at night. It’s paid off

I'm a judge and I work in criminal court but playing my drums is so much more fun.

are things "quieter" now with the isolation and all? Crime is (interestingly) down here (in Ohio) locally...also in some other parts of the country

I find it curious that on a drumming forum, 99% of respondents don't get their money from drumming.

I don't think I'd like to be drumming full time. Too much of a good thing isn't a good thing anymore for me.

I'm in a band with a guitar player and.... that's it haha. So if it's a band, that's another question. Anyway, we enjoy playing together a play progressive rock/metal. We have 3 medleys and a bunch of our own songs. When i joined the band in 2011 (him, me and a bass player) we had ambitions, but after a while the bass player left because we weren't into it. Too much pressure and honestly; there isn't a lot audience for our music (check out Quivermore on iTunes or Spotify). We just like playing our music because we like it, not to make money. To be honest; i've spent more money on drums and making music/recording than vacations haha

Anyway, my dayjob is working for a government agency that provides people with a unemployment- and/or disabilty benefit. Pretty busy job at the moment, but satisfying that i can help people

I'm a automatic transmission rebuilder .hell I've worked in a transmission shop my whole life . I've been practicing and Learning the drums now for 5 - 6 months .

I am a middle school art teacher in rural Kentucky, teaching grades 5-8. Yes, middle schoolers are insane, but I'm never bored.

That is exactly what my wife teaches, but in a poor urban neighborhood in NJ. It’s unfortunate, but due to the unruliness of the students the last 3 years, the lack of support and cluelessness of the administration, parent involvement being practically nonexistent, and the lack of respect for the related arts classes by some other teachers even, she’s had enough. To top it, her commute is a hour long each day.

Being art has limited positions, there are next to no other positions available anywhere too.

After 10 years, it’s unfortunate because she still loves how she has a positive effect on the kids. Her highlights a lot of the times is some of these kids simply asking for hugs.

I own a swim school and because I am my own boss, I have more control than she does. I will say that the worst thing about teaching is the parents. I can handle the misbehaving kids. It’s these parents that need to just go away.

These say it all in what’s changed the last 25 years.

18D2EA73-ECD4-41EF-8F4F-6786B467C7AB.jpeg0F09206C-12D9-4BC1-8920-4D30ED65AB19.jpeg

That is exactly what my wife teaches, but in a poor urban neighborhood in NJ. It’s unfortunate, but due to the unruliness of the students the last 3 years, the lack of support and cluelessness of the administration, parent involvement being practically nonexistent, and the lack of respect for the related arts classes by some other teachers even, she’s had enough. To top it, her commute is a hour long each day.

Being art has limited positions, there are next to no other positions available anywhere too.

After 10 years, it’s unfortunate because she still loves how she has a positive effect on the kids. Her highlights a lot of the times is some of these kids simply asking for hugs.

I own a swim school and because I am my own boss, I have more control than she does. I will say that the worst thing about teaching is the parents. I can handle the misbehaving kids. It’s these parents that need to just go away.

These say it all in what’s changed the last 25 years.

View attachment 91965View attachment 91966

That cartoon says it all. These days parents call professors to complain about their child’s low grade. Back when I was in college, if I had asked my dad to complain to my professor about my low grade

1. My dad would have laughed at me
2. My professor would have laughed too, at me, WITH my dad

And since my dad was a school principal, if I had asked him to complain to one of my teachers about a low grade, every teacher in the county would have laughed at me. Along with the lunch ladies, bus drivers, and janitors. LOL

I will say that the worst thing about teaching is the parents. I can handle the misbehaving kids. It’s these parents that need to just go away.
I have a relative who taught 4th grade in a private school for 32 years. One of her students complained to his parents (because he wanted to be in the other class with his twin brother) and the parents complained to the principle. She was fired the next day, 2 years from retirement. No severance, no notice, nothing. Two weeks after she was fired, the family/student moved out of state. Lawyer up, bitches!

To be continued.

Back