What's The Most Fun Gig You've Played Recently?

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Most fun gig we have done in several years was last Saturday. Upscale wine bar. Outdoor patio. All instrumental jazz with some blues and funk snuck in (difference between jazz and blues: on jazz I cross-sticked lol). No monitors. Small amps for guitar/keys/bass. No mic for tenor or alto sax. No vocals no singing. I used a snare, hi-hats, and 1940's/1950's era super-thin Zildjian with rivets. Took us only 20 minutes to set up. Patrons loved us and would not let us stop. We played an hour longer than contracted. Less was a lot more!

https://www.facebook.com/100000151039656/videos/402280097888651/

What's your most fun most recent gig, and why?

Dive bar gig in Morro Bay, CA a coupla Saturdays ago. Bar hung out about 20 feet over the water. 110F temp where I live and Morro Bay was 64F, so the conditions were much more favorable. Enthusiastic crowd, quirky cool venue, excellent comped food and drinks, and the pay was great. One of those gigs where everything just worked out!

CE8F505C-4BDB-451B-8073-DF50C191ED2C.jpeg

50th Birthday party last Friday night. Small show of family and friends , about 40 all up. The bloke only contacted us last week desperate for some live music at his birthday party. He apparently had tried to get some other bands but found they were way too expensive for his budget . We are pretty reasonable with our rates. Anyway, in the course of conversation with him before the gig we found out his favourite song was "All Along the Watchtower" by U2. Whilst it's not on our playlist it's not that hard to play, so we decided we would do it and got him up during the second set to sing it with us. Another couple wanted to sing with the band so they came up and did The Proclaimers "500" miles, with us. Of course some teenage kids wanted us to play "Destiny's Child" , which is definitely NOT on our playlist, but after a quick check of Spotify we managed to cobble together a very rough version that they could join us in. The birthday boy joined us again or our final song, "Its a long way to the top" . At the end of the night he was chuffed that we had been so accomodating for his birthday We felt pleased that we could make his night an enjoyable and memorable one for him and his family/friends. Just a good relaxed fun gig. He placed some lovely comments on our FB site, which was nice .

We did a campground gig a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, it was a rainy day. The campground has a lodge type of building, they moved us inside, last minute.

The campground regulars weren't aware of music being moved inside, so they started to file in later, after we had started. It was our first time at this place, so we weren't sure what to expect at any rate .

Before the end of the night, they were singing louder than we were on some songs. And we had it cranked pretty good by then 😉 When you can hear the crowd singing over the band at that volume, things are going pretty well...

there were a few hot rod shows last summer that were a blast. Outdoors, good stage, lots of great old cars, people all dolled, or greased up...the vibe was pretty cool.

I was happy just to be playing, even if it was with a mask on...

All of my "gigs" in 2021 have been in studios. I've done three sessions so far this year, with another lined up next month. Each has been fun in its own way.

I was considering taking all of 2021 off from playing live, but I'm starting to second-guess that plan. I'll reevaluate the landscape this fall.

All of my "gigs" in 2021 have been in studios. I've done three sessions so far this year, with another lined up next month. Each has been fun in its own way.

I was considering taking all of 2021 off from playing live, but I'm starting to second-guess that plan. I'll reevaluate the landscape this fall.

man, I have not done a legit studio gig in years....I really miss it

Just had our first concert last saturday, since october last year. Private arrangement, with some big name artists/music business people in the audience. Hopefully we did a good job, and I think we did! We were the "surprise" band at the end of a 3 day party/sleep over, outside in the rural district of Norway (which is rural by itself, I guess :p). They wanted us back next year as well, so I think we did pretty good. Both original songs and covers (heavy/thrash metal). Got to use my new Live Custom Hybrid kit for the first time as well, coudn't be happier. A bit of wobbling on the stage was basically the only drawback, I sometimes feared one side of my rack system would tip over....217622368_10159090457835520_5811339999647491429_n.jpg

We played a marina bar restaurant. People started dancing, then more people appeared. There was a second floor, people were using that as a balcony to watch the band. Everyone seemed to have a lot of fun. A week later our manager tells us they booked 5 more gigs at the same venue. Then we booked a couple more gigs at other venues that are somehow connected to the marina.

We played a marina bar restaurant. People started dancing, then more people appeared. There was a second floor, people were using that as a balcony to watch the band. Everyone seemed to have a lot of fun. A week later our manager tells us they booked 5 more gigs at the same venue. Then we booked a couple more gigs at other venues that are somehow connected to the marina.

Yeah that's what it's all about crowd having fun. Band having fun. Venue books band for future dates. Whoo Hoo!!!

We headlined a small festival a few weeks ago that was really fun. Two hour set. Crowd was one of the best we’ve had. They were rowdy and fun!

694684E5-F86E-4017-A6F2-81B4F1D8DF82.jpegB87B3767-573B-468C-872D-297566A5E30B.jpeg
One of our originals we played

I played at a local acoustic jam last week that was the most fun. Since the beer was free I suppose I got paid which technically makes it's a gig LOL. (floortom used as a stand because I didn't have time to locate my hardware)

20210713_194510_Cedar_Street_Social_Club.jpg

I liked the gig because it was a chance to play brushes in a non-jazz setting, which was a great learning experience. It's a weekly jam so I'll be going back again for the foreseeable future.

I played at a local acoustic jam last week that was the most fun. Since the beer was free I suppose I got paid which technically makes it's a gig LOL. (floortom used as a stand because I didn't have time to locate my hardware)

View attachment 106504

I liked the gig because it was a chance to play brushes in a non-jazz setting, which was a great learning experience. It's a weekly jam so I'll be going back again for the foreseeable future.

wait...you used the floor tom as the snare stand? ....that opens up sooooo many sonic possibilities....🤔

and great looking drums too!!!

Back