What's stylus these days?

wraub

Gold Member
The currrent thread re: vinyl got me to thinking that I need a new stylus, and probably a whole new cartridge, for my turntable. Probably in the range of $100 or so, maybe a little bit more but not much.

Any suggestions?

The last new cartridge I bought was maybe 20 years ago, a Stanton on sale (I bought three to cover me for life, have yet to get past the first one!)

I don't even know if they're still around. I remember Pickering, Shure, Ortofon, Grado... not sure what's current anymore.

Stereophile Magazine recently released its October issue. Recommended Components every october and april.
There are recommended cartridges from Audio-Technica, Ortofon, Denon, etc.

I used to buy from www.needle doctor.com. Your question prompted me to check out their site again. OMG they are kaput. Check out LPGear.com instead. Looks like they might have a replacement for whatever cartridge you have.

The Ortofon Super OM 10 is a good cartridge at a reasonable price. One of the great things about it is that the body is the same throughout the line - you just have to change the stylus if you want to upgrade to an even better experience. The OM 10 is no slouch to begin with.

The currrent thread re: vinyl got me to thinking that I need a new stylus, and probably a whole new cartridge, for my turntable. Probably in the range of $100 or so, maybe a little bit more but not much.

Any suggestions?
Bought this maybe 10 years ago and think it came from an electronics store (not online) but I really don’t remember which one.

Attachments

• 70514E82-9528-48CA-8A14-8AFB5E71B792.jpeg
    70514E82-9528-48CA-8A14-8AFB5E71B792.jpeg
    588.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back