Whatcha Reading Right Now?

So we all know drummers form the erudite and well-read component of the rhythm section, right?

So let’s put our bookmarks where our mouths are and share what we’re reading right now!

I’ll go first. I re-read this chestnut every few years. In my mind, the foremost retelling of the Arthurian legend. Like all great art, every time I return to it I uncover a new layer.
Ordered this online and received it but have not yet started it, in the UK and other places it’s called The Fear of Freedom.

Attachments

• 9CF4959C-72C5-4798-95BB-889C94F1939F.jpeg
    9CF4959C-72C5-4798-95BB-889C94F1939F.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 3
I think most books are better than the movies they turn into.

Totally agree 100%.

In fact, II have not seen the Lord Of The Ring movies b/c I don't want the images in my head to be changed by the movies. All of my friends say I am an idiot for not watching them, but I just don't want a "Hollwoodized" version of it in my brain
[/QUOTE]
Agreed on this point too, but the desire to watch them outweighs the desire to preserve my preconceived visual interpretation. However if a movie based on a book I have not read but plan to is released before I’ve read the book I will delay the movie until after I’ve read the book.

In fact, II have not seen the Lord Of The Ring movies b/c I don't want the images in my head to be changed by the movies.
I know someone who read The Great Gatsby recently. They said they enjoyed the flavor and depth of the actual source material..but could not stop picturing Leonardo Decaprio's face throughout the story.🙄

1655117824664.png

Book #7 and the last entry in the line. Saw the movie and really liked it, so thought i'd delve into these books and ordered all 7 of them (all from the same series so it looks nice on the book shelf haha) somewhere in 2019 i believe. Went through the first 4 books pretty fast and after that i took some time of from reading. Can't remember when i started reading this book, but i guess over a year ago. Recently picked it up again because i want to finish it and then watch the movie on Netflix again.

Last edited:
About to start 'Children of Dune'. Need to get cracking on it. I've read 'Dune' a few times and bought the set last year. 'Dune Messiah' was excellent, too.

"Children of Dune" is by far my fav book of them all! Really liked 'Dune' too. Started reading and still remember being confused about how that universe works. Somethings aren't really explained and you figure it out yourself reading the book only to figure out the dictionary on the end hehe.
Must say that the new movie really credits the book IMO. The miniseries are superb too! Better to not mention the 1984 movie hehe

I have a soft spot for the 1984 movie but that's for personal reasons I won't go into.

However, the new one is brilliant and the sense of relief when they announced they were going to finish at least the first book with a second film was strong. Makes perfect sense to make three films and to do 'Dune Messiah' because that wraps up one arc.

Really must start reading 'Children'.

You're right. The books don't spoonfeed you at all but they are such vividly realised Universes that it's impossible to resist. Having a basic understanding of Islam helps, too.

I have a soft spot for the 1984 movie but that's for personal reasons I won't go into.

However, the new one is brilliant and the sense of relief when they announced they were going to finish at least the first book with a second film was strong. Makes perfect sense to make three films and to do 'Dune Messiah' because that wraps up one arc.

Really must start reading 'Children'.

You're right. The books don't spoonfeed you at all but they are such vividly realised Universes that it's impossible to resist. Having a basic understanding of Islam helps, too.
Do any of you who read Dune and the other books think that its universe and characters were used/lifted by George Lucas and his Star Wars universe? I sure do.

Do any of you who read Dune and the other books think that its universe and characters were used/lifted by George Lucas and his Star Wars universe? I sure do.

I don't really. I just see 'Dune' as so influential on every other soft sci-fi series that there are bound to be parallels. In the same way that Iain Bank's 'Culture' series feels like 'Dune' (but with much better humour).

It's impossible to escape its influence in that genre. It's the 'Lord of the Rings' of Sci-Fi.

View attachment 120329

Book #7 end the last entry in the line. Saw the movie and really liked it, so thought i'd delve into these books and ordered all 7 of them (all from the same series so it looks nice on the book shelf haha) somewhere in 2019 i believe. Went through the first 4 books pretty fast and after that i took some time of from reading. Can't remember when i started reading this book, but i guess over a year ago. Recently picked it up again because i want to finish it and then watch the movie on Netflix again.
Having read the entire series many times and having seen the movie, the movie, while decent, lacks boatloads of detail and is basically the Cliff's notes version of the book series.
I think the only King novel that was even a quasi-decent movie was Christine, all the others were god awful attempts.

On the topic, I'm re-reading this, it's a wonderful book.

Totally agree 100%.

In fact, II have not seen the Lord Of The Ring movies b/c I don't want the images in my head to be changed by the movies. All of my friends say I am an idiot for not watching them, but I just don't want a "Hollwoodized" version of it in my brain
Agreed on this point too, but the desire to watch them outweighs the desire to preserve my preconceived visual interpretation. However if a movie based on a book I have not read but plan to is released before I’ve read the book I will delay the movie until after I’ve read the book.
[/QUOTE]

I have had pretty much ALL of my friends who are also Tolkien nerds tell me that the movie will outdo my vision...that it is the only movie that they would call an acceptable adaptation...but I am just a stubborn old man I guess...

I know someone who read The Great Gatsby recently. They said they enjoyed the flavor and depth of the actual source material..but could not stop picturing Leonardo Decaprio's face throughout the story.🙄

I LOVED that book...it was the only "assigned" book I read in all of high school...and yeah, when I saw the ads for the movie I was like "Oh gawd...."

I just finished a collection of short stories called Flight or Fright, the complete Kafka, and now I'm working on selected pieces by Chekhov.

Next up is a Dean Koontz, but I haven't decided which!

@Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX My Dad is Tolkien nerd (he's gone as far as to read the Silmarillion more than once. In fact, multiple times) and he thinks the films are great. There are at least two major omissions that irk some but in the overall arc of the story are of little actual consequence. I'm more irked by the second omission but it makes perfect sense to leave it out.

If you're really into it, line up the extended editions and just watch them. Don't bother with The Hobbit films. They're awful.

View attachment 120329

Book #7 end the last entry in the line. Saw the movie and really liked it, so thought i'd delve into these books and ordered all 7 of them (all from the same series so it looks nice on the book shelf haha) somewhere in 2019 i believe. Went through the first 4 books pretty fast and after that i took some time of from reading. Can't remember when i started reading this book, but i guess over a year ago. Recently picked it up again because i want to finish it and then watch the movie on Netflix again.
If you haven't yet, you will probably enjoy The Little Sisters of Eluria and The Wind Through the Keyhole, a novella and novel, respectively, set in the Dark Tower universe. It very much made me wish he wrote more tales set in that continuity.

Reactions: iCe

I have had pretty much ALL of my friends who are also Tolkien nerds tell me that the movie will outdo my vision...that it is the only movie that they would call an acceptable adaptation...but I am just a stubborn old man I guess...
[/QUOTE]

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

I LOVED that book...it was the only "assigned" book I read in all of high school...and yeah, when I saw the ads for the movie I was like "Oh gawd...."
[/QUOTE]

So I guess I'm the Old Man; I don't see Leo, rather Robert and Mia

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were good friends. After The Hobbit was written, C.S. Lewis prompted him to write and "adult" version, which is LOTR. Conversely, after C.S. Lewis had written The Space Trilogy Tolkien prompted Lewis to write a novel for children, which produced Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia.

I've read 'em all and Lewis' Christian paradigm in his trilogy blew my mind. The third novel is spot on for what's currently happening in higher education institutions.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were good friends. After The Hobbit was written, C.S. Lewis prompted him to write and "adult" version, which is LOTR. Conversely, after C.S. Lewis had written The Space Trilogy Tolkien prompted Lewis to write a novel for children, which produced Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia.

I've read 'em all and Lewis' Christian paradigm in his trilogy blew my mind. The third novel is spot on for what's currently happening in higher education institutions.

that sounds about right

and I read the Narnia books as a kid (after having had the FOTR books read to me as bed time stories by my mom), and never saw the whole Christianity thing iin them. I was in my 20's when someone brought that up, and I re-read them again, and thought 'hmm...I guess I can see that...", but it still didn't jump out at me

Back