What Keplinger snare did you go with and why?

Road Bull

Silver Member
Background:
So I am considering picking up a new snare. I just sold my Ludwig LM402. I had been tossing around the idea of getting a nice replacement. I had been looking at Tama Starphonic snares and have also been giving the Keplingers a good look. I am just trying to justify it a bit in my mind. I enjoy playing loud and heavy music. I have been listening to as many sound files as I can on the internet. I have heard a few of the black iron options in person. From what I gather, it sounds like the stainless steel is more of a straight bearing edge vs the black iron and maybe the brass being a more traditional bearing edge. Anecdotally, I've heard that the SS, with it's bearing edge has a very high tuning range, while the black iron may have a bit more body at the higher tuning ranges. I have probably heard the raw brass the least. From what I've heard, I think I am gravitating towards the SS or black iron in one of the deeper depths. Some of the youtube videos leave much to be desired. I've seen a fair amount of videos of people mostly tapping or lightly playing some of these drums. And that may work for a lot of people. But I prefer to hear the drum opened up with a 5B or healthier stick and hit like it owes you money. :ROFLMAO: Ideally, I want it to be sensitive within a broad tuning range, be able to be tuning high without choking out, and still maintain a good amount of body.

Questions:
What Keplinger snare did you choose and why?

Would you still select the same Keplinger, or would you try something different if you were buying today?

The tube lugs look fairly simple. How well do they maintain tension with rimshots?

Just want to throw this out there, maybe you’ve considered it.

Are There any shops that have Greg Keplinger’s drums on the floor, or are they all made to order? Is he available to contact for feedback or suggestions?

I just sold a DW solid aluminum drum, this may be something either more mainstream or a little less expensive that might work for you. I am not in any way trying to talk to you out of your purchase. I understand there’s a big difference between a Keplinger and a 402 for sure.

That’s it. Good luck :)

I don't own a Keplinger but I'd considered them for sure. DCP if you are in the neighborhood always has a stock. Elvin even played a Keplinger (and Tama BB), so not a one trick pony.

I'd say take a chance if you can't find one in person, they would would have a strong resell as they are desired and have a reputation. Black Iron, yum.

The thicker the shell, the less the material makes a difference. Especially when you’re comparing between metals that have fairly similar density and hardness.

What is black iron anyways, looks like cast iron for waffles. Interesting on the edge differences, didn't know about that.

I think you are right, I tried to listen through that video carefully and it all sounded like the same family but the black irons edged out a bit more for some reason with more depth, maybe my eyes are picking but it too they did sound deeper. That 8"...go big or go home, I'd take that over a bell brass.

The tube lugs look fairly simple. How well do they maintain tension with rimshots?

There are number of devices that can secure tension under hard hitting that are super affordable if this is a concern. I'd say, let that shell sing the least interference possible.

Thanks for the replies so far all.

@jaymandude Most shops don't have a lot of Keplinger snare stock sitting around very long. They are on the expensive side ~$1150 for SS and BI. and $1300 for the Brass. I have heard a few in a store, but haven't seen more than one to A/B two different ones together.

You are right though. There are so many good snares out there in the world right now, even at the larger production level of things. I don't think you have to spend all your money to get a great sounding snare these days either. I DO love some of the features that come with the Tama Starphonic for instance. The ones I've heard sound good! In a perfect world I would set them beside one another for a good comparison.

@s1212z Yeah, it wouldn't be a hard one to sell or trade should you ever tire of the Kep. I think I like everything from the 6.5" up to the 8" drums in the Black Iron & Stainless Steel. I wouldn't have known anything about the edge differences if it wasn't for talking to my friend Will at West Coast Drum Shop in Bellevue, WA. They have an awesome shop and collection of great drums, but he let me know that the BI had a more traditional bearing edge, where the SS was more of a straight edge. I am sure he could describe it better than I, but he said that Keplinger described it as snare that tuned up high without choking out like many other snares might. And good point about tension devices that can be added. That's one thing I didn't care for with my LM402 was how fast it seemed to detune. Conversely, I had a DW black brass snare with its "true-tune" tension rods that would hold higher tunings very well.

@Push pull stroke Good point about shell thickness and tonal characteristics. Although hearing them, somehow the BI Keps still maintain a fair amount of throatyness even when tuned higher. And this might be my ears playing tricks, but the SS seems to have a bit more high-end ping crispness at the higher tunings. From what I've heard with various sound files, I don't think it would be worth the extra money to opt for the Raw Brass version. I don't typically keep my snares tuned low, but if I had to say, I'd say the other two options sounded better at low, and med-low tunings. That, and I have no idea what bearing edge the RB has vs. the others. They all sound pretty good though. They'd all make me a bit nervous to take out to a club and loose sight of. Hahahaha. I think I'd develop jealous boyfriend tendencies with that snare. It would always have to be within arms reach. Hahaha.

I had a 6X14 10 lug stainless Keplinger and played it for a few years. It was a great drum and had a wide tuning range. SS is a bit brighter than aluminum at high tuning and not quite as dry, I've also had two DW aluminum. A 6.5 X 14 and a 5.5 X 13, I liked the 13 better. I sold them both. They were nice drums but pretty middle of the road.

After selling the 6 X 14 Keplinger I bought a 7 X 14 SS 8 lug. That drum has more body and a more open sound. I have used both single and double ply heads on it and both sound good. Greg ships them with Emperors,

As for they lugs they work just fine. Most lugs have inserts that the tension rods thread into so the lug body has little to do with tuning range.

Attachments

• Keplinger.jpg
    Keplinger.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 6
  • keplinger.jpg
    keplinger.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 7
I have a SS 5.5x14 that Gregg built up for me with Ludwig Bowtie lugs - it's been my goto since I got it back in 2012. It has an 1/8" 11 gauge shell - so it's pretty heavy. The extra mass gives the drum a different sound than a Supra or Black Beauty - it has lots of bottom, no matter the tension. Gregg described the BI as "dry-ish, a little dusty, dark." I chose SS because I wanted the combo of a little brightness on top, combined with the fat tone underneath.

I think at this point I am just trying to see if my ears can hear enough of a difference in these snares over a normal production / normal price snare to justify its purchase. It's not a bad problem to have. There are tons of great sounding snares these days. I might try out a Tama Starphonic for a while and see how I like it. For the time being, I am rocking my old 14x5" DW Collector's Searies NOB snare.

Had Stainless Steel, Black Iron and Brass sold them all but if I had to buy a Keplinger again it'll be the brass.

Had Stainless Steel, Black Iron and Brass sold them all but if I had to buy a Keplinger again it'll be the brass.
If you've had all three and sold them, what are you using now? Also, why brass over the other two? Do you usually stay mostly at one tuning spectrum?

If you've had all three and sold them, what are you using now? Also, why brass over the other two? Do you usually stay mostly at one tuning spectrum?
Oriollo Bellmaker 75, Oriollo Radical 60, N&C Alloy Classic 6X14 and Q Copper 7x14. Reason I chose brass (6.5x15) was its versatility and to me much warmer/darker among the others.

@cornelius
That sounds cool. Have any pics?

@Fred D
Interesting switch from 10 lug to 8 lug. That's a pretty good apples to apples comparison for tone and capabilities, at least as far as everything else goes with the shell and construction being the same. Do you feel that there is any trade off of dropping down to the 8 lug version?

@T_Kauff
I think to some degree at this magic price point, you are not really paying for materials and style of manufacturing, but more for someone's time to make it happen. It's hard to argue with how much someone else values their time. And by the same token, that stuff we call our money, is by extension our own time. So you have to think how many hours did I do what I do, how many heartbeats if you will, am I trading for someone else's time. I think the part of the equation that gives me more pause is not how he values his drums, but how I value my disposable income. Hahaha.

They do sound good though.

Oriollo Bellmaker 75, Oriollo Radical 60, N&C Alloy Classic 6X14 and Q Copper 7x14. Reason I chose brass (6.5x15) was its versatility and to me much warmer/darker among the others.
Wow! That's a great collection of cool drums man. I love the way Oriollos look, and from what I've seen on youtube, sound. To me, they have the coolest looking lug hardware by a healthy margin. So many companies have very ho-hum hardware on top tier drums, but not Oriollo. I just don't see them in many drum shops. I've heard less of the N&C, and Q drums, but they look very classy.

Snare sound is a matter of personal taste. I like open sounding drums hat have some ring. I use Ambassador heads without any muffling. 8 Lug drums are more open than 10 lug drums so that takes me in a direction that I like. I haven't noticed any tuning issues with 8 lugs.

I don't buy into the cast drums are some how superior to rolled and welded. I have several cast shells and my rolled and welded shells sound just as good. I've spent untold hours recording snares back to back using the same track and can't tell which drum is cast or rolled with out looking at my notes.

I use a QSC mixer, Earthworks mics and Mogami cables. Snares are miced top and bottom. Both types of shells sound great.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Wow! That's a great collection of cool drums man. I love the way Oriollos look, and from what I've seen on youtube, sound. To me, they have the coolest looking lug hardware by a healthy margin. So many companies have very ho-hum hardware on top tier drums, but not Oriollo. I just don't see them in many drum shops.
Thanks!

We sell direct.

I have a cast Oriollo brass 6.5x15 that sounds aMAZing. The thicker shell puts it more in the pitch range of a 14” drum, but the extra resonance and low end are sooooo nice. Cast 15s are where it’s at, for me.

Back