What is your “old relable” snare drum ?

probably not that explosive, because I hope I inferred that it was my own opinion (I feel that...)

but to my ears, it is harder for me to hear the differences between snares than cymbals, because the tunings of the heads presents more random variables from drum to drum...sometimes taking the shell materials, dimensions, hardware, manufacturers, build quality, etc out of the picture for my ear. My 5.5x14 metal Supraphonic sounds exactly like my friends 6.5x14 Tama Superstar maple snare - high pitched Stewart Copland esque sound.

I have a Remo Coated Ambassador batter and Remo Ambassador Hazy snare side head. He has an Aquarian Hi Velocity batter head, and a clear Aquarian snare side (don't know the exact model)....same sound.

BUT, he has a 90's era Zildjian 18" Low China, and I have a 90's era 18" high China, and they definitely sound different...there are no outside parameters that will make those sound the same
I do appreciate the fact that no two cymbals are identical even mass produced.
it would be interesting to do a blind test to see who could discern the difference in each.
cheers!

I do appreciate the fact that no two cymbals are identical even mass produced.
it would be interesting to do a blind test to see who could discern the difference in each.
cheers!

yeah...I would love it if my ears were good enough to identify drum sounds like they do cymbal sounds. I have friends who can hear a snare drum in a song and go "6x14 birch 6 ply shell" and get at least 2 out of the 3 parameters right. I just don't get how they can do that...

It was the Supraphonic

But now it’s the Benny Greb 2.0 from Sonor. Literally so many sounds with out even touching a tuning key

Reactions: I-P
yeah...I would love it if my ears were good enough to identify drum sounds like they do cymbal sounds. I have friends who can hear a snare drum in a song and go "6x14 birch 6 ply shell" and get at least 2 out of the 3 parameters right. I just don't get how they can do that...
Have you looked into hearing aides 🦻 hahaha?:ROFLMAO:

I habitually gravitate towards a medium to high-tuned 5” wood snare. I occasionally think about buying a higher end Gretsch USA maple or the Mike Johnston snare, but a few minutes with my Renown quickly quells that desire. Fantastic drum for the money, goes everywhere with me.

Cool. A Flynn era Brady. Jarrah Ply?
Yes, indeed, absolutely top notch build quality, just has the right balance of shell sound to snare, although as you can see I like a lot of snare sound. This drum really delivers exactly what what you play, unusually for me I adore the backbeat sound WITH rimshot.

A go-to snare for many occasions, my N&C Classic SS Maple 14x7" built by Jay Jones and crew. I bought it back in the late 80's. This picture was taken a few years ago after a refresh of bearing edges and polishing at the factory.

NC Refurb-3.jpg

Ludwig and Ludwig Standard from late 30s or early 40s. I’d post a pic but I’m sure everyone is sick of looking at it and I don’t have a pic of it on the phone.

Scusi,
What exactly

s-l1600.jpg

are the white things on the bottom of this snare
thxs inadvanx ; )

Seeing all the 5"×14" brass in this and other past threads influenced me to get one for myself and I have been getting to know and love it. But my "old" reliable has been this, and I could be content to continue with it still. I know how it works and sounds.
20230128_100740.jpg

I'll probably stay with the nicer new brass snare though. So far it's my "new" reliable

I'm so hoping it's my latest 5.5x13 D.W. 3mm aluminum that I bought because of how impressed I was after hearing Billy Ward playing it on his Big Time DVD. Still in the basement which might just be thee worst acoustical environment this side of the Mississippi. Maybe I'll set it on a snarestand out in the snowstorm at noon and put it through the paces.

Back