What are you doing drumwise during the lockdown?

I was fortunate enough to buy a Acoustic bass rig (300 watt head, 15" cab) ...... just before stuff hit the fan !!!! Now, being a "marginally" better keyboard player than a bass player (I used to play marimba, so I can relate to a keyboard a lot better than little metal lines on a bass guitar neck) ..... my Alesis Micron has some killer bass patches. Run that thru a Jamman looper ..... run that thru my pedal board ..... and the Acoustic rig gives me plenty enough volume to drum to. And since the Jamman has a click built in, it keeps me honest.

I've also got a Korg Monologue, which has an excellent sequencer and something like 99 patches, so sometimes I use that to play to, and again, it's sequencer keeps me honest.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 0
  • korg monologue.jpg
    korg monologue.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
To be honest, Ringo was never technical enough for me. But again, I grew up in the 80s when heavy rock was coming into the fore. If I were to sit down and listen to the Beatles, it would have been in isolation with no one around (to see me enjoying simplistic drumming). And that was impossible with four other siblings and a dozen cousins flying around the house. The name is still taboo in my world unfortunately, not because of my overblown ego, but because I'm on more of a... complex... music direction these days. How can you go from Beatles to bossa nova or partido alto? It just gets in the way for me. Nothing against the music though. Always a Ringo fan for his style and what he's brought to music.

From Tommy Igoe's Instagram today; describe's Ringo perfectly:

Quote from bassist Will Lee - Pick any 10 Beatles songs and check out the artistry of the drum tracks. Within those, you’ll find well-crafted parts that are not only swinging with a bit of extra swagger, but also thoughtfully supportive to the song, staying out of the way unless there’s a need for a particular fill, which in many cases have enough personality to absolutely define the tune. And if you really want to see how consistent a pro can be, check out 2019’s re-release of Abbey Road. Take after unused take, the drums are being played with good-natured support, with patience and artfulness as if “this is THE take”, always. As a bassist, that’s what I want to provide for a song; to be the “Ringo of bass players”. Ringo Starr: truly a musician’s musician.

Back