What are you doing drumwise during the lockdown?

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
I’m in Malaysia. We got 14 days of restricted movement to deal with. Today is day 6.

Yesterday i managed to get my cymbal inventory spreadsheet updated.
355 cymbals and hihat pairs so far.

I’m also working a bit on bass drum Bonham triplets.

I got everything I need at home - no suffering here.

In reference to your Bonham-triplets project, I've been attempting to refine the sound of my bass drum by playing with different tunings and muffling tactics. My bass is 22x18 and can get a bit ringy if I go for a more open sound. A standard bed pillow seems my best muting option. I use Remo Coated Ambassador heads, so my bass is still able to sing a bit. Overall, I'm pleased with the results I've achieved this weekend.

Bonham is among my all-time favorites. It's not what he played but the way he played it that made him unique. And yes, his mastery of triplets was superb -- both in his bass patterns and fills. His sound, to my ears, is the most recognizable in the history of drumming. His passing at 32 was a true tragedy.

I, too, have all I need at home -- books, drums, fitness equipment, and a great family. I'm luckier than many people battling the virus right now.

Starting the New Breed book by Gary Chester in earnest . I have had it for years and only dabbled in it . Now that I have the time - might as well get serious .

I also want to get through Alan Dawson’s Rudimental Ritual as well

I'm doing the Tommy Igoe 14-day challenge (there's a thread about it).

Honestly, nothing. I've been playing upwards of ten hours a week for a few years straight now, so it's actually been refreshing to take a break.

I'm tempted to buy a set of electronic drums and start a live stream, though. Might as well monetize all this free time.

Continuing to work on material I started before the apocalypse for a number of clients. All the tour dates and local gigs have been cancelled, but they will something be back on, right? Might as well keep them sharp.
I've also moved all my students to and online platform, so I'm still teaching a lot, and I'm also doing a lot more recording. Having people send demo tracks and song ideas over for me to lay down drums.

I’m in Malaysia. We got 14 days of restricted movement to deal with. Today is day 6.

Yesterday i managed to get my cymbal inventory spreadsheet updated.
355 cymbals and hihat pairs so far.

I’m also working a bit on bass drum Bonham triplets.

I got everything I need at home - no suffering here.
Wow, that is some collection! I'd like to know at what point you knew you had a problem (gear addiction disorder?) and decided just to go with it, and go with it at all costs since it seems an expensive addiction. I've got 20 or so now, and most are just me and cymbal being in the right place at the right time. I also keep a spreadsheet.

Just started working from home as of tomorrow. I'm a hospital worker but not front line so we're running a rota on who needs to come into the office and do the bits we can't do from home.

Pad work on the sofa to keep the hands in shape is the name of the game.

Sadly all my kits are at my parents at the moment as we were due to have some work done on the house tomorrow. This virus has farted on my cornflakes well and truly, got a house like a building site for the forseeable!

My drums are in my studio 21 miles from home and haven't been there in 2 weeks. So....I'm killing time looking at drums for sale on the usual sites and trying not to get caught up in buying what I don't need. Gotta say though, I'm seeing a lot of snare drums I'd sure like to try.

I'm finally learning to play De-Loused in the Comatorium. That whole record is inflammable, and Jon Theodore's playing is impeccable.

I'm also spending some time to really dial in the recorded tones with the Gretsch kit. Upgrades to my front end means I get to play around with new mic preamps!

Videos will be coming out with more regularity soon.

I just looked at my Facebook cover photo.
Apparently I used to play the drums. But I really don't remember doing that............

I've been trying different head tunings and head combinations on my snares and toms for a couple of hours each day - just to brighten up my day. My wife will be home next week in a week on - week off rotation, so my fun might change!

I am very lucky to have my studio in my basement, 2 drum kits , keyboards and full recording capability, plenty of food , hot tub ,and a gorgeous wife, so I can hold out like this for a long time, prayers and positive thoughts to all and we will get thru this!

I have this idea to play more simply but at a high skill level. So I’m working on dialing in some things that I can play but not as well as I would like:

RLK
buzz/press rolls
doubles that transition smoothly all the way to a buzz roll (There are some tricky tempos in there!)
6 stroke rolls with rimshots
Super clean jazz partial triplets on snare
Unleashing the left foot (hi hat) using Steve Holmes “Helpful Jazz Exercises for Drummers” on YouTube

Bass drum triplets mostly. Shuffles. Ghost notes. My uncooperative left foot.

Also have been messing with the tuning on my LM402 a lot lately, trying different snare wires etc.

I wish I had 355 cymbals :(

Working our some of the newer stuff we had added to our setlists before it all came crashing down, on my old ekit. Then after those, spending some more time just playing various other songs from the lists, just keep them fresh.

Back