Well known music store

Let's review Brianziggy's call because, to me, it's hilarious.

BZ: "Do you guys price match or beat a competitor’s price?"

Salesman: "No. We don't do price matching. All our stuff comes with an extended warranty."

BZ: "Would (you) match a competitor's price on a drum set?"

Salesman: Spouts off in an angry voice ... (because he just said with 100% clarity that they don't match sale prices).

BZ: Hangs up. Says to us, "I'm 57 years old. I did not call to get into an argument with a salesman."

There's no argument, BZ... There's only you hearing something you didn't want to hear!

Thanks for the laughs.

I dont understand this. If stores A and B have the gear at one price, and C doesnt, why even bother with C? Seems like a setup for disappointment, which it obviously was.

I dont care where items come from. For me to buy something, it must:
1. Be in stock
2. Be exactly what I want
3. Be the lowest price (tax and shipping included)

Maybe I'm selfish, or just dont care enough, but when buying something, the something is important, not the attitude of the person I buy it from. If it was, I'd be locked up for repeadetly punching cashiers.
Yeah, just buy from the store with the lowest price. For a while, I used to reach out to SW to see if they could cut me a deal because I could get it for a better deal somewhere else. 7/10 times, it’s “no” or some laughable discount. At this point, I don’t even bother.

MF usually has them beat. So I go there. Don’t have the time to haggle haggle haggle. Life is too short.

I really don't get the point of calling a store up and asking for a huge discount to match a sale price somewhere else that's nothing to do with them. Whilst I admire the size of your balls to try it, they obviously don't need the extra business so do not offer a price match.

If you've seen the kit at the price you want get it from that retailer simples! Zero hassle purchase, out of interest did you buy the kit in the end?

I got GC to match a SW price on an Impact II batter. Only reason was GC by me actually had one in stock but was priced $8 higher than SW. Showed the guy the app listing and he changed the price.
SW will run specials where you need to call in for the discount and that tends to be in items where the manufacturer forbids advertising for less than MSRP. I got a kick ass deal on my stealth rack on the call in special.

If you buy from GC, you have up to 30 days to return something.

You can also have new or used items shipped to your local GC store and open and inspect it there,
to make sure everything is as it was described and it didn't suffer any shipping damage.

You can also have new or used items shipped to your local GC store and open and inspect it there,
to make sure everything is as it was described and it didn't suffer any shipping damage.
If buying used from GC, this is the way to go. 👍

I have been buying from SW for many years, and from other retailers for many more before that.
My experience with SW has been largely positive and sometimes I buy without price shopping, but not often.
On anything substantial I always ask for the best price, and usually get some small discount.

That said, I did call them a few months ago and got a very VERY rude response. The guy essentially called me a liar and told me I couldn't possibly get the deal I was asking him to (only) get close to (not match). He was not gentle or diplomatic about it either.

Simple enough, I bought from someone else... The entire encounter though really left a sour taste.

Could this be a case of the lower priced kit being out of stock at the first two retailers but available at Sweetwater at the regular price? OP tries to secure the lower price without having to wait for stock levels to return?

Some retailers stipulate that the competitor has to have the item in stock in order to price match them. The policy is designed to avoid the exact scenario I outlined above.

I didn’t know if stating the store name was appropriate. I’m not trying to bash this store. I called them thinking that is who I might go through due to me hearing a lot of positives about them. The store name is Sweetwater.
I knew right of the beginning of the thread that it was Sweetwater, they always say the guarantee stuff to not discuss price and they never price match, if you want a good price don't go with them. If have a discussion with your rep and maybe he could do something but they never discuss price at first.

Yes, I have never heard of one retailer matching the price of a sale at another retailer.
If it's in the same country, they match, long and Mac Quade do it all the time in Canada, just saw them the picture. And yes, Sweetwater never do that. For their exceptional service, ok, I got the same here at Long and Mac Quade.

Could this be a case of the lower priced kit being out of stock at the first two retailers but available at Sweetwater at the regular price? OP tries to secure the lower price without having to wait for stock levels to return?

Some retailers stipulate that the competitor has to have the item in stock in order to price match them. The policy is designed to avoid the exact scenario I outlined above.
Yes, it needs to be in stock in almost every policy as it's too easy to attract people with a great price, that you don't have but could try to sell something else when the guy calls.

For me, the one major thing to buy from a retailer is if they offer an in-store financing that is better than any credit card or credit company. I got 6 months free or 12 months free with no external company all the time and when it's not a special interests free month, it's between 12 and 17% so, not bad.

This thread reminds me that every story has two sides. I don't doubt that the OP had an experience that didn't meet his expectations, but we don't know anything about the tone of voice or actual words spoken in the conversation. Peoples' recall of conversation is notoriously poor, and perceptions vary among people who experience the same event.

My point is, I'm sorry the OP had an experience he didn't like, but I'm not prepared to throw Sweetwater under the bus, either. I've had superb service from them.
Again, same twice answer, "they have good customer service", price is not part of the customer service. Customer service is what you try to have to overcome the question about orice all the time by the customer who are doing the round table game, going around and around and around again to play the down bid...so, they are two different things, Sweetwater is great at services, not at price. Price are ok, in the same ballpark but never the lowest or are trying to beat the competition on price, and they seem to have done well with this for the last 40 years when we look at what they are at now.

I don't follow this "price matching" chase that goes on unless you have an established relationship with some person at some store.
Otherwise, just buy the thing you want at the lowest price offered and get on with playing your drums.
Having been on the retail side of things having to jump through hoops for some stranger who might flip out if the tiniest thing goes wrong (the haggler often has this wonderful trait) was not worth the trouble. Whenever anyone started haggling and telling me about the better deals elsewhere I very politely told them to go snap it up and that it's a great deal.

Whenever anyone started haggling and telling me about the better deals elsewhere I very politely told them to go snap it up and that it's a great deal.
This 100%. It is very annoying when buyers try to get your stuff for an unfair price because they could go get ‘a better price’. Half the time, it’s either not true or not even the same product/condition.

and also +1 on the whole thing about people who haggle also being combative. This is also very true.

I don't follow this "price matching" chase that goes on unless you have an established relationship with some person at some store.
Otherwise, just buy the thing you want at the lowest price offered and get on with playing your drums.
Having been on the retail side of things having to jump through hoops for some stranger who might flip out if the tiniest thing goes wrong (the haggler often has this wonderful trait) was not worth the trouble. Whenever anyone started haggling and telling me about the better deals elsewhere I very politely told them to go snap it up and that it's a great deal.
I did the same thing about hagglers for 10 years and I did very well in selecting my clientele!!!

Back