Well known music store

organworthyplayer337

As a seller and a human being with several interactions under my belt, I know that sometimes people come off unnecessarily spicy to an employee/seller and when they respond in kind, the person gets upset, jumps on a forum and complains about it. The whole situation is FUBAR. Happens all the time. Moving on is the only way to do it. I would buy from the place that had the better price.

Also, I don't shop at Sweetwater for good/competitive prices. They don't have that 🤣I'll shop there for availability, quick shipping, demo savings, etc. But not good prices on new products. They got some of the worst in the game. But they make up for it in experience.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Since you brought it up about emailing Chuck, You seem to know him and maybe even has his direct email address because it is not listed on the website.
One gets his email with every order, along with the VP of sales and your sales reps (or used to, before the company brought in investors). I tried it. Chuck responded with a "Hi, thanks" response.

I've had nothing but stellar service from Sweetwater. I'd suggest the OP call back and be assigned a Sweetwater rep. That rep is your primary contact going forward for purchases and questions. I think this can all be ironed out in no time.

That being said, I don't haggle over pricing with Sweetwater. I'll watch for sales or for pristine demo models to get a lower price. I'm paying for exceptional customer service in the event anything be less than satisfactory or go south.
Thank you for your input.

The deep discount on that finish at the other 2 stores is more than likely old stock so Sweetwater will not have it if not shown and will not price match. The same kit in different finishes can be a couple hundred difference regularly.
The finish at the other two stores is a “gloss” Antique Blue Burst vs a Satin. Everyone carries the Satin Antique Blue Burst but not a gloss version. I had never saw the gloss version. So I do not know for sure if this is old stock. I get it and I agree if it is in fact old stock that they would not price match and that colors do sometimes vary in price. Thanks.

As a seller and a human being with several interactions under my belt, I know that sometimes people come off unnecessarily spicy to an employee/seller and when they respond in kind, the person gets upset, jumps on a forum and complains about it. The whole situation is FUBAR. Happens all the time. Moving on is the only way to do it. I would buy from the place that had the better price.

Also, I don't shop at Sweetwater for good/competitive prices. They don't have that 🤣I'll shop there for availability, quick shipping, demo savings, etc. But not good prices on new products. They got some of the worst in the game. But they make up for it in experience.
I haven’t bought a “new” set of drums ever. I have however bought used sets over the years. As I stated in my original post, I am 57 yrs old and this will probably be my last set thus looking around for a new set. Thanks.

felonious69

Besides sales, that every company has at various times, Sweetwater always has at least comparable prices.
What keeps me going back is the beyond excellent service I have always gotten from them.
Don't even remember what the first thing I bought from them was, but at that point I was assigned a sales engineer.
Ian has been that ever since...and like I said...always beyond excellent service.

I have never been to their store (I believe there is only the one) but would love to go some day.

It sounds as if, OP had never bought from them before, wherein, would not have a designated rep there yet.
I have never called in there and NOT talked to Ian.

felonious69

One gets his email with every order, along with the VP of sales and your sales reps (or used to, before the company brought in investors). I tried it. Chuck responded with a "Hi, thanks" response.
I agree...and I emailed Chuck at 4:30 in the morning expressing my concern with the "buy" that just happened...he responded, I believe within 15 minutes:

Chuck Surack​

Fri, Aug 27, 4:31 AM
to me, Ian

It is great to hear from you.

Bob,

It is all good.

After 42 1/2 years it was a very difficult and emotional decision. I finally found peace when I came to the conclusion that this will be good for us personally and Sweetwater will still continue to do great. Providence are great partners and I am very confident in my leadership team. They have been with me for decades. John Hopkins became the new CEO and President. He has been right beside me for 29 1/2 years. He and the rest of our team will not allow the Sweetwater culture or our support for our community to change. In fact, the new owners love our company and only want to help us grow. They are not the kind of firm that slashes and burns. I became Chairman of the Sweetwater board and Lisa and I still own a large portion of the company. I will continue to be engaged at Sweetwater, just not with the day in and day out details. Believe me, the customer service will not suffer. In fact, it will get better.

As of this past August 23, I am moved my office to another building I own in town. I will help grow all the other businesses that I have started. SweetCars, Sweet Aviation, Sweet Helicopters, Longe Optical, the Clyde and many more...Lisa and I also started a new, large foundation to support all the things that have been important to us for a long time…children’s welfare issues, mental illness, preventing teenage suicide, the arts, and economic development with an emphasis on the SE part of Fort Wayne, as well as developing the Perfection bakery property we own downtown. Our new URL is www.Surack.com and our phone # is (260) 432 0370. I hope to have a little more time for ourselves, too and maybe even the opportunity to play more music. We are very excited.

Thanks for your kind words.
Chuck

felonious69

With SW, ya also get video links on how to set up your drum set (good for us newbies!) care and maintenance, guitar, keyboard drum tutorials...etc. etc. etc. etc....

They really are the best at customer service!

BruceW

I had a small snafu on an order I placed last week, emailed them yesterday, resolved today. The snafu could very well have been partially mine, but there was no issue in resolving it.

The items I've purchased aren't end products, only accessories. However, they were priced very competitively with other online retailers, and one of the items was quite a bit lower than others.

organworthyplayer337

I haven’t bought a “new” set of drums ever. I have however bought used sets over the years. As I stated in my original post, I am 57 yrs old and this will probably be my last set thus looking around for a new set. Thanks.
So from what I understand from this message is that you were asking them to match a used kit’s price, for a new one? Was the other store’s kit used or new? A little confused here.

So from what I understand from this message is that you were asking them to match a used kit’s price, for a new one? Was the other store’s kit used or new? A little confused here.
No Sir. I found a “new” Gretsch Renown kit at two other stores. I wanted to see if Sweetwater had the same new set and if so would they match the price of the other two stores. Same color, 5 piece, everything the same.

Here’s the Renown’s at the two different stores. Along with SW’s price.

Attachments

• 90D972ED-7BEE-46A2-B278-766C6FC4CB3D.png
    90D972ED-7BEE-46A2-B278-766C6FC4CB3D.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 2A196ADC-9EA8-48C9-8566-9444394BA287.png
    2A196ADC-9EA8-48C9-8566-9444394BA287.png
    965.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 7CAE97C9-F712-4515-93D0-5371FE711695.png
    7CAE97C9-F712-4515-93D0-5371FE711695.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 18

organworthyplayer337

Ah okay. I would go through MF honestly. They have a generous return policy and that killer rewards program. MF is my go to for that reason. Their shipping has gotten faster (only about a day slower than SW).

You might have to wait a little while as it looks like it's backordered. But you can chat/call and get an ETA for it.

felonious69

First of all...from the adds you showed, Guitar Center is the evil cousin of Musician's Friend. If that was a "sale price" BOTH places would have that same price...like I said before some places have sales that others don't. I don't know all the variables involved, but I would be willing to bet that at the same time Sweetwater had something different on sale for a better price you'll find at the evil relative's places.

felonious69

The GC add says "Was $1,649". It will be again...it's a sale price.
Generally for non-sale items all three places usually have close to the same price.

As for return policy, I paid $19.44 to send the wrong tension rods back to MF with COMPLETELY UNDAMAGED packaging. They cost me $14.75...so I paid em about five bucks for their "marvelous" return policy.
Sweetwater took the rods I ordered back...free shipping tag and shipped the replacements priority mail.
EDIT...my math was wrong...I paid $19.44 for their "marvelous" return policy. I did get my $14.75 refund!

Last edited:

MrPockets

Gold Member
First of all...from the adds you showed, Guitar Center is the evil cousin of Musician's Friend. If that was a "sale price" BOTH places would have that same price...like I said before some places have sales that others don't. I don't know all the variables involved, but I would be willing to bet that at the same time Sweetwater had something different on sale for a better price you'll find at the evil relative's places.

Yes, I have never heard of one retailer matching the price of a sale at another retailer.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I dont understand this. If stores A and B have the gear at one price, and C doesnt, why even bother with C? Seems like a setup for disappointment, which it obviously was.

I dont care where items come from. For me to buy something, it must:
1. Be in stock
2. Be exactly what I want
3. Be the lowest price (tax and shipping included)

Maybe I'm selfish, or just dont care enough, but when buying something, the something is important, not the attitude of the person I buy it from. If it was, I'd be locked up for repeadetly punching cashiers.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Yes, I have never heard of one retailer matching the price of a sale at another retailer.
It has worked for me at Best Buy, Farm and Fleet, and Lowe’s. All I did was look up an item on Amazon or other site, show the sales rep, and if the product/manufacture model are a match (i.e., it is the same item and not an ”exclusive” or special item) they will match the price. I’ve never gotten any blowback from doing this.

In one case, a laptop computer at Best Buy was $300 less on their own web site. They gave me the online price and an additional $100 off for “being a good customer”.

But be aware: this technique doesn’t work at coffee shops. Telling the Starbuck’s barista that Joe’s Café coffee is only $2 and asking them to price match that only gets a round of hearty laughs.