Watching “A Christmas Story” with the kids for their first time

I've never been a huge Chevy Chase fan-even in SNL. But the National Lampoon Vacation movies and Funny Farm were hilarious films. "A Christmas Story" reminds me of growing up-minus the snow. My Dad would cuss like a sailor too and the same terrible gaudy taste. He loved to dicker too. Dripping with nostalgia-only one kid I knew got his shot out with a BB gun-actually it was a pellet gun. Back then we had M80s and I'm surprised more kids didn't lose fingers or hands.

I remember in elementary school "we kids" suddenly developed a fear of "germs". I guess we had all watched some similar crappy old black and white film from the 50s in class. Suddenly "some" people were suspect of being "germ infested". I "kid" you not-certain kids were treated like pariahs. One kid was really treated poorly-my dog followed to me to school one day, and since this kid left alone-he was petting my dog (Plump). Everyone told me my dog was infected. I went home crying till I thought about it-and said screw them and started loving on old plump. Then I thought about poor David-the kid lived in absolute poverty I later learned. I came up with the idea of "Germ Insurance" which was germ protection. Heck my Dad was a Doc so it was legit LOL. Gave them out to kids so they could feel safe around David. It actually worked and the germ fear blew over. Probably because nuclear annihilation and us hiding under our chairs LOL

Back