Was given a Tama 6740 last night...looking for info

JimmyM

Diamond Member
Behold my awesome pedal collection...lol...

IMG_0682.JPG

Last night our drummer brought me the Tama 6740 in the middle and said I could have it if I like it. So far, it seems to be a good one, even though it seems to be their entry level pedal, and has evolved into the HP50. A little side-to-side in the hinge but very smooth and quick (strap drive). I went looking for info on it, and found a few different looking versions of it, but none of them looked quite like this one. The closest one has a Tama Imperialstar logo where the blank plate on mine is. I found one on the internet from 1974 with that logo, so I'm thinking this one is earlier.

So if any of you Tama historians can tell me a little bit about it, it would be appreciated. I think I've figured out how it works, but just wanted to know what time frame I could be looking at for its manufacture, Was it made with no logo because it was for a stencil kit? Could it have been made as early as sometime in the 60's? And please pardon the non-original beater. It came with a felt one, but that Sonor beater is the only one I have that fits it.

Also, 2nd from left is a Premier 252. These pedals seem to be revered by Premier fans, and some even collect them. But for some reason I can't connect with it. Maybe I think it's clunky or something. Does anyone out there use them or have any insight about what I could do to like it better?

As always, thx in advance!

Just gave it a little workout on the set for the first time and WOW!!! I wasn't expecting to like it that much, but it's fast and responsive. Stuff I struggled with on the other pedals is going a lot easier with this one. Is it the strap? The Premier has direct drive but I don't think it's as responsive as this one.

The 6740 was called the Hi-Beat. Has a spring design similar to the Rogers Swivomatic. They went to a solid footboard (no cutouts) around 1980. I don't think I've ever seen one without the Tama name cast into it. I don't see this pedal in catalogs earlier than 1974, and all have the Tama on the footboard.

I had 80's era 6740's. Not bad pedals. I still have one in my "collection".

The 6755 King Beat was sold with the higher end Superstar kit. The 6740 was packaged with the Imperialstar (next tier down), and Royalstar (below Imperialstar). And the 6725 was paired with the Swingstar (then the entry level kit).

The 6740 was called the Hi-Beat. Has a spring design similar to the Rogers Swivomatic. They went to a solid footboard (no cutouts) around 1980. I don't think I've ever seen one without the Tama name cast into it. I don't see this pedal in catalogs earlier than 1974, and all have the Tama on the footboard.

I had 80's era 6740's. Not bad pedals. I still have one in my "collection".

The 6755 King Beat was sold with the higher end Superstar kit. The 6740 was packaged with the Imperialstar (next tier down), and Royalstar (below Imperialstar). And the 6725 was paired with the Swingstar (then the entry level kit).
So you are saying I have a serious collector’s item? Shall we start the bidding at a million dollars?

It really is not a bad pedal at all. Still trying to get a handle on its idiosyncrasies but it feels quite good. Feels more direct than my other ones with chains. Probably my imagination but I always feel like those chain pedals have a little play in them.

So you are saying I have a serious collector’s item? Shall we start the bidding at a million dollars?
And then there came this .......

I would say the 6750 would be the "collector" item. Had twin compression springs (one in each frame post), like the Ludwig Speed King. I've never seen one, but in a catalog. It was called the King Beat. Later replaced by the 6755 (also called the King Beat). Those 6755's are quite common.

My guess is you probably like the compression spring aspect of the pedal. Compared to expansion springs, I personally feel like they're a little more controllable and easier to play.

My guess is you probably like the compression spring aspect of the pedal. Compared to expansion springs, I personally feel like they're a little more controllable and easier to play.
Is the 6740 a compression spring pedal? Looks to me like it stretches out as you kick it. Or am I not getting what a compression spring is?

And then there came this .......

I would say the 6750 would be the "collector" item. Had twin compression springs (one in each frame post), like the Ludwig Speed King. I've never seen one, but in a catalog. It was called the King Beat. Later replaced by the 6755 (also called the King Beat). Those 6755's are quite common.
Kind of a milestone day for you, eh Harry? Never saw one without the logo, and now you find two in one day ;)

Also, 2nd from left is a Premier 252. These pedals seem to be revered by Premier fans, and some even collect them. But for some reason I can't connect with it. Maybe I think it's clunky or something. Does anyone out there use them or have any insight about what I could do to like it better?
Disassemble it and clean it. That usually does the trick. You may still not like it, but pedals need to be maintained.

Disassemble it and clean it. That usually does the trick. You may still not like it, but pedals need to be maintained.
Did that already when I first dug it out. It helped a lot. I think maybe I will spend a little time with it and see what I can get out of it. Maybe I need to readjust it. Fine pedal for sure, but I never quite felt the love yet.

Man, I cannot believe this pedal! I went through all my others last night and they all feel so mushy by comparison. It's not perfect but it's really quick and makes playing fast doubles a lot easier. I have been trying to figure out if it's the strap drive or the general build, and read a couple things and watched a video from Darwin pedals that said strap is the most efficient since it connects directly to the cam and footboard with no moving parts in between it. But does that mean the reason the other pedals, including the 5000, feel so mushy is because they're chain and direct drives? I even jacked up the tension as high as they could go and they still feel mushy.

Man, I cannot believe this pedal! I went through all my others last night and they all feel so mushy by comparison. It's not perfect but it's really quick and makes playing fast doubles a lot easier. I have been trying to figure out if it's the strap drive or the general build, and read a couple things and watched a video from Darwin pedals that said strap is the most efficient since it connects directly to the cam and footboard with no moving parts in between it. But does that mean the reason the other pedals, including the 5000, feel so mushy is because they're chain and direct drives? I even jacked up the tension as high as they could go and they still feel mushy.
Not that I can reason, and I use all three linkages. I think you're likely enjoying the compression spring, as mentioned above.

You should take a look at the strap and find a kevlar replacement, if that hasn't been done already. Nylon won't hold up forever.

Not that I can reason, and I use all three linkages. I think you're likely enjoying the compression spring, as mentioned above.

You should take a look at the strap and find a kevlar replacement, if that hasn't been done already. Nylon won't hold up forever.
Calan, please explain to me how a compression spring works in a pedal. I’ve searched for an answer and I just don’t find what I’m looking for. I’m a bit confused over this pedal having a compression spring, as it stretches when I kick the pedal, and I thought a compression pedal would do the opposite.

My guess is you probably like the compression spring aspect of the pedal.
The 6740 doesn't have a compression spring.;)
I think you're likely enjoying the compression spring, as mentioned above.
I’m a bit confused over this pedal having a compression spring, as it stretches when I kick the pedal, and I thought a compression pedal would do the opposite.
You should be confused ..... your 6740 pedal doesn't have a compression spring.:LOL: Your Premier 252 does, maybe that's what everyone is referring to. Very few pedals use a compression spring. The Ludwig Speed King is the most well known. Your Premier is another. The Tama 6750 & 6755 are (as I mentioned in post #5), and the Trick Pro 1-V. They work by squeezed rather than expanded a spring, which pushes back on the footboard to provide rebound. Your foot stroke compresses the spring, as you power the beater towards the head, and the spring rebounds by returning to it's non-compressed state.

You should be confused ..... your 6740 pedal doesn't have a compression spring.:LOL: Your Premier 252 does, maybe that's what everyone is referring to. Very few pedals use a compression spring. The Ludwig Speed King is the most well known. Your Premier is another. The Tama 6750 & 6755 are (as I mentioned in post #5), and the Trick Pro 1-V. They work by squeezed rather than expanded a spring, which pushes back on the footboard to provide rebound. Your foot stroke compresses the spring, as you power the beater towards the head, and the spring rebounds by returning to it's non-compressed state.
That’s what I thought! Thank you Harry, was making me feel like the world had gone bizarro. Btw, still not fond of the 252, so I guess a compression spring isn’t a factor why I like this 6740 as much as I do.

That’s what I thought! Thank you Harry, was making me feel like the world had gone bizarro. Btw, still not fond of the 252, so I guess a compression spring isn’t a factor why I like this 6740 as much as I do.
You might be a strap guy. Strap drive is a perfectly valid drive system. The Sonor Perfect Balance "Jojo Mayer" pedal kinda got a lot of people revisiting (the idea, anyway) strap drive. Funny, that Tama kinda reintroduced the 6740 design, with the HP50 pedal, but chain drive (no strap).
But you'll find a lot of popular pedals are offered with both chain and strap drives.

That was my very first pedal and an excellent one at that. I'm back to strap drive and don't see it changing anytime soon. I can't say my Yamaha 9310 feels like the Tama 6740, since i don't have and haven't had the Tama for a long time. It did seem like I was on an endless quest to find a pedal I didn't think of when playing like that old Tama though. I'm finally there again after a very long journey. Tama likely went back to that design, because it was stupid simple, yet very effective. No reason why the new one can't be converted to strap with the Gibraltar universal Kevlar strap.

You might be a strap guy. Strap drive is a perfectly valid drive system. The Sonor Perfect Balance "Jojo Mayer" pedal kinda got a lot of people revisiting (the idea, anyway) strap drive. Funny, that Tama kinda reintroduced the 6740 design, with the HP50 pedal, but chain drive (no strap).
But you'll find a lot of popular pedals are offered with both chain and strap drives.
That Mayer pedal looks great but I wish you could get it as a double.

That was my very first pedal and an excellent one at that. I'm back to strap drive and don't see it changing anytime soon. I can't say my Yamaha 9310 feels like the Tama 6740, since i don't have and haven't had the Tama for a long time. It did seem like I was on an endless quest to find a pedal I didn't think of when playing like that old Tama though. I'm finally there again after a very long journey. Tama likely went back to that design, because it was stupid simple, yet very effective. No reason why the new one can't be converted to strap with the Gibraltar universal Kevlar strap.
Yeah, it’s weird how the chain drive designs took over for so long, and now the old strap drive is making a comeback of sorts. Sure ruined my enthusiasm for the 5000, I’ll tell you that.

Those old 5000s you have are way faster than the newer ones still. I played one of those for at least a decade. Can't get along with the new ones at all. Way too heavy. Haven't tried them converted to strap. Maybe that's the trick with those, but at this point I won't be finding out till I run out of parts for my Yamaha. it'll be a while....As hard as I am on my stuff, it'll likely be my last pedal.

Back