Warped drum shell

Henke90s

So i just noticed my bass drum shell is out of round by 2mm (0.0787401575 inches) I think its pressed down where the tom mount is, so in that way its a little warped. Im not sure if this is a mayor problem, i know it effects tuning and sound a bit and i dont know how it happened. Ive read on some forums that there are several reasons like: uneven tensioning of the lugs, extreme temperatures. Or my thought...that it got a little bent in the shipping. Will it get even more warped if i have the tom mount and toms on it?. I dont think the wood hoops are out of round just the shell. Is it worth replacing? chances are that the same thing will happen again in the shipping if i get another bass drum. I havent checked the floor tom yet but the 12" tom is 100% round. Maybe iam way too picky?.

C

Crazy8s

OMG! My head is out of round! I measured it just today and found out that it is a few mm wider front to back than on the side to side. Yes, my head is out of round and it is less wide between the ears.

I think this was from the forceps at birth, but it could be from head bangin all day to loud rockin music! \m/ \m/

If you can tighten a head down on a drum it can still be played perfectly fine and sound fine. Put your head on straight and tighten 'er down, then wail away! :)

Henke90s

OMG! My head is out of round! I measured it just today and found out that it is a few mm wider front to back than on the side to side. Yes, my head is out of round and it is less wide between the ears.

I think this was from the forceps at birth, but it could be from head bangin all day to loud rockin music! \m/ \m/

If you can tighten a head down on a drum it can still be played perfectly fine and sound fine. Put your head on straight and tighten 'er down, then wail away! :)

heheh...hilarious :D yea i suppose nothing is 100% round and precise in the human body but in drums...i guess its possibly. Thanks for teh reply.

C

Crazy8s

heheh...hilarious :D yea i suppose nothing is 100% round and precise in the human body but in drums...i guess its possibly. Thanks for teh reply.

Actually, in drums, they are pretty often out-of-round. Any given shell can be out of round by as much as 1/8" (3mm) or more in some bigger drums. Mechanically, you just need it round enough to fit a head and have the lugs tune smoothly without binding. If the drum tunes fine, then there is nothing to worry about. When a head is tightened down on the shell it will help correct for it.

Are these the Yammies like your signature suggests?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
2 millimeters! That's nothing to worry about.
As you stated, Thats just under .08 of an inch.
I thought that I was Anal Retentive.
I feel so normal now.

Henke90s

Actually, in drums, they are pretty often out-of-round. Any given shell can be out of round by as much as 1/8" (3mm) or more in some bigger drums. Mechanically, you just need it round enough to fit a head and have the lugs tune smoothly without binding. If the drum tunes fine, then there is nothing to worry about. When a head is tightened down on the shell it will help correct for it.

I see. Yea its the yammies unfortunately.

Zickosdrummer

I think this was from the forceps at birth, but it could be from head bangin all day to loud rockin music! \m/ \m/QUOTE]

I think it's from you having too many brains, lol

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member

Wow, I didn't know it was that common. You're right, as long as the head seats well, that's all that matters. I would think it would be a much bigger problem if the shell twisted and messed up the plane of the bearing edge.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
That is one reason why drum heads and drum hoops are slightly oversized.
The larger inside diameter of the hoop on the head compensates for slight imperfections in the drum.
As long as the head will fit over the drum without binding it is not a problem.

I have noticed that my vintage drums from the 60's and 70's are not nearly as round as my new drums from this decade.
I have also noticed that my vintage drums have more highs and lows in the round bearing edges than the sharp edged drums of present day.