Wanting to give Paiste cymbals a try. Where should I start?

Those videos are entertaining but the sound is too compressed to really hear the differences.

Yes, that video is definitely compressed... but, so is virtually ALL recorded popular music these days.

Compression or not, you can clearly hear the differences in the video if you listen. :)

Yes, that video is definitely compressed... but, so is virtually ALL recorded popular music these days.

Compression or not, you can clearly hear the differences in the video if you listen. :)

True, there's a newer video on YT with some older dude that includes the PST 7's and less compression.

Paistes site has great samples that truely represents the sound of their cymbals, amazing how consistent their stuff is and captured so well.

Btw, I just picked up a 22" Big Beat 2002 for $100 off the going price. Cant wait for it to arrive!

Last edited:
True, there's a newer video on YT with some older dude that includes the PST 7's and less compression.

Cool, I'd love to hear that too. I'm a sucker for comparison videos, LOL! :p

The thing that I found by watching a lot of these videos is they reinforce my preference for Giant Beats. To me, GB's sound like the best parts of the 2002 and 602 lines. What I wasn't expecting was how much I liked the Signature, Dark Energy and the even the old Alphas.

Paistes site has great samples that truely represents the sound of their cymbals, amazing how consistent their stuff is and captured so well.

Btw, I just picked up a 22" Big Beat 2002 for $100 off the going price. Cant wait for it to arrive!

Sweet! Please let us know how you like it when it arrives. (y)

Yup, I like the PST7's. The medium hats and ride are a nice surprise. The shop let me trade the 16" crash for a 17" at no extra charge. The 17" and 18" are pretty similar in timbre but different enough to be distinctive.

The real test will be when I hear them on a recording which I will after tomorrow night's gig. I think they're going to be fine.

I've ordered the 19" crash, the 10" splash and 18" China already. That should give me plenty of options!

I know myself and I'm going to want the pro grade Paiste's sooner than later. Better start saving now :)

The Signature Full Crash Line is the cymbal crash sound I hear in my head. The perfect balance of power and shimmer. They are also a favorite of many producers. I have the 17",18" and 20".

Whatever you do, don't go for thick crashes. They suck.

I'm currently using 15in 602 ME hats, 17in Sig Fast, 19in full, 20in 602 thin, and a 22in Sig full Ride and they have been my favorite combo I've ever played. I would love to try out the Giant and Big Beat line someday.

I was getting bad Paiste GAS but finally got happy with my Zildjian's again-till the Hi Hat comparison and those Dark Energy hats appeared. Now the "Dark" side of the force is echoing Paiste, Paiste, Paiste............

I was getting bad Paiste GAS but finally got happy with my Zildjian's again-till the Hi Hat comparison and those Dark Energy hats appeared. Now the "Dark" side of the force is echoing Paiste, Paiste, Paiste............

Hahaha, I hear that too. :p

Yup. I detoured a bit and picked up a nice big Zildjian crash recently to more or less "finish" that collection before moving on to Paiste's good stuff.

Grabbed three more PST7's today: the 19" medium Crash plus the 18" China and 10" Splash. That gives me four decent size crashes (17,18,19 and 20") plus the ride and two effects cymbals to play with. That should cover just about every situation I find myself in.

My ears are still acclimatizing to the PST7s though I definitely like them. They're not quite as rich and complex as my Zildjian K's when played in isolation but when played live with a band, they're great. I keep reading that they're difficult to distinguish from 2002's in live situations so I'll take that as a good sign, having never played 2002's myself. I also hear that they're a bit quieter than the 2002's which is fine by me. I'm a rank amateur who plays smaller stages so my bandmates won't mind a bit ?

The PST 7 thins/light sound pretty dog gone good for jazz/big band in this video. The original cymbals on the recording can still be heard, so I don't know if that makes the 7's sound "better"?

Last edited:
I decided to put them ALL up for giggles today. I never play with this many cymbals though having done so I can understand why you would want to.

Also, I noticed something interesting. I put the 17 and 18 inch together on one side and the 19 and 20 inch together on the other side. One those occasions where I would hit say, the 17 inch then go back to it moments later, I struck the 18 inch instead and got a very similar but slightly different tone on that second hit. It was a really neat effect and it worked for the 19 and 20 inch too. It was more musical, essentially. I think I'm going to stick with that for a while.

Anyway, I'm really liking these Paistes. If their midrange stuff sounds this good I can only imagine how good the top of the line stuff sounds.

20191120_134355.jpg20191120_134712.jpg20191120_143922.jpg

I decided to put them ALL up for giggles today. I never play with this many cymbals though having done so I can understand why you would want to.

Also, I noticed something interesting. I put the 17 and 18 inch together on one side and the 19 and 20 inch together on the other side. One those occasions where I would hit say, the 17 inch then go back to it moments later, I struck the 18 inch instead and got a very similar but slightly different tone on that second hit. It was a really neat effect and it worked for the 19 and 20 inch too. It was more musical, essentially. I think I'm going to stick with that for a while.

Anyway, I'm really liking these Paistes. If their midrange stuff sounds this good I can only imagine how good the top of the line stuff sounds.

View attachment 88570View attachment 88571View attachment 88572
Do a search for Paiste pst 7 19" vs Giant Beat 18" on youtube, you'll be surprised how good the Pst 7's are !

And they look beautiful, like the rest of your set.

Do a search for Paiste pst 7 19" vs Giant Beat 18" on youtube, you'll be surprised how good the Pst 7's are !

And they look beautiful, like the rest of your set.

Thanks! It was unintentional but the bronze and red cymbals go nicely with the gold and red finish of the drums. It's neat having a little forest of cymbals to choose from ?

I'll check out that comparison video. I've seen a few PST7 reviews where they get some really great sounds from them. Rob Brown's video and Xavi Reija's videos come to mind.

Thanks! It was unintentional but theguy, but bronze and red cymbals go nicely with the gold and red finish of the drums. It's neat having a little forest of cymbals to choose from ?

I'll check out that comparison video. I've seen a few PST7 reviews where they get some really great sounds from them. Rob Brown's video and Xavi Reija's videos come to mind.

Im a Ludwig loyalist but man are those Yamahas real nice, I have a Yamaha DX synth and 88 key piano, quality stuff!

Back