"Wake 'n Break" Series

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar quasi-linear backbeat. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 in both bars. Looking at the hi-hats next in the first bar, we have notes falling on the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, on "3e&a", and on "4&", with the "&" of 2 and the "&" of 4 being played as open notes. In the second bar, our hats are falling on the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, on 3 and the "e" and "a" of 3, and on the "&" of 4, with the "&" of 2 and "&" of 4 played as open notes. Last but not least, our snare drum is providing the backbeat on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1793 - Quasi-Linear Backbeat With A Two Bar Hi-Hat Phrase

Notation:

Here's the last wake 'n break of 2019! Today, we have a samba inspired groove that has hi-hat openings on all of the downbeats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, 2 and the "a" of 2, on "3&", and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have eighth notes on "1&2&3&4&" with open notes on all of the downbeats. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on the "e" of 1, on "3&", and on 4, with ghost notes on the "a" of 1, the "e&" of 2, and on the "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to a happy and healthy New Year!

Wake n Break No. 1794 - Samba Inspired Groove With Open Hi-Hats On All of The Downbeats

Notation available at:

Happy New Year! ?The first wake 'n break of 2020 utilizes two bells of different tones (in my case, Pete Engelhart blossom bells). I apologize for my bells being off camera. I didn't realize just how far to my right they were. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1e" and the "a" of 1, the "a" of 2, on "3e" and the "a" of 3, and on the "a" of 4. Looking at the bells next, our higher pitched bell is falling on 1 and 3 while the lower pitched bell is falling on 2 and 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have anticipated accented notes on the "e" of 2 and on the "e" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to a wonderful 2020!

Wake n Break No. 1795 - Blossom Bell Groove With Anticipated Snare Drum Hits

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar linear groove that has a ton of breathing room. Looking at the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" in both bars. Next, our snare drum has ghosted notes on the "e" of 1 and on 2, as well as two accented notes on 3 and 4 in the first bar. In the second bar, everything is the same except the accented note on 4 is played as a buzzed stroke. Last but not least, the hi-hats have notes falling on the "&" of 1, the "e" of 2, and an open note on the "&" of 3 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1796 - A Two Bar Linear Groove With Plenty of Breathing Room

Notation available at:

Thank goodness it's Friday! :) Today's wake 'n break mainly revolves around the bass drum pattern. Looking at the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, on "2&", the "e&" of 3, and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Next, our ride bell is falling on 1 and 4 and last but not least, our snare has ghost notes on the "e&" of 1 along with an anticipated accent on the "a" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1797 - Busy Bass Drum Groove With Upbeat Hi-Hats And A Single Anticipated Snare Accent

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is built round mixed figures on the snare. When I say mixed figures, I'm referring to simple combinations of thirty second notes, sixteenth notes, eighth notes grouped together (example: two sixteenth notes & an eighth note). Looking at the feet first, we have notes falling on "1&", the "e" of 3, and on 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are keeping an eighth note pulse on "1&2&3&4&". Last but not least, that brings us to the snare drum. First we have groupings of thirty second notes on 1 and on the "&" of 1, followed by sixteenth notes on "2e&a", another thirty second note grouping on the "e" of 3 and another on 4, followed by sixteenth notes on the "&a" of 4, with each grouping of thirty second notes being accented, as well as on 2, the "a" of 2, and on the "a" of 3 and on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love! I apologize for no notation today, but I'm pressed for time getting to a gig.

Wake n Break No. 1798 - Snare & Bass Drum Groove With Mixed Figures On Snare

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar samba reggae groove that is being played on top of the traditional baiao foot ostinato. It also has a pickup of four sixteenth notes on the floor tom. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, on 3 and the "a" of 3, and on the "&" of 4 in both bars. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Moving along to the high tom, we have notes falling on 1 and 3 in both bars, as well as notes on "1 trip let" in the second bar. Next, our floor tom is falling on "2&" and "4e&a" in both bars, with the entire groove starting with a pickup on "4e&a". Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on the "e" of 3 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1799 - A Two Bar Samba Reggae Groove Over The Baiao Foot Ostinato

Notation available at:

A new week is upon us once again! :) Today's wake 'n break is a slow and open groove with sixteenth note triplets (counting: 1 trip let & trip let) broken up between a Hammerax Splashvine and the main set of hi-hatst. Taking the bass drum first, we have a snare ruff leading into a single bass drum note on 1. Next, our snare drum is falling on 2, the "a" of 2, and on 4. I played all of the snares as accented notes, but I think it may be hipper with the "a" of 2 being ghosted. Moving along to the auxiliary hats (which are open), we have notes falling on 1, 2, and 4. Looking at the splashvine next, splash number one is falling on 3, splash number two is falling on the first "let" of 3, and splash number three is falling on the second "trip" of 3. Last but not least, our main hi-hats are being chicked on the "&" of 1, the "&" of 2, the first "trip" of 3, the "&" of 3, the second "let" of 3, and on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1800 - Slow And Open Groove With 16th Note Triplets Broken Up Between Splashes And Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a funky groove that I created by playing "The Funky Drummer" break completely reversed, and it's played with a broken swing feel on the hats. Starting with the hi-hat, we have a steady stream of sixteenth notes on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a", with open notes on the "&" of 1 and on the "&" of 3. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on the "&" of 1, the "e" of 2, and on the "e" and "a" of 4. Last but not least, we come to the snare drum where we have accented notes on 1, the "&" of 2, and on 3 and the "a" of 3, as well as ghost notes falling on the "a" of 1 and on 2. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1801 - Creating A Dirty Funk Groove By Reversing "The Funky Drummer" Break

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove that has sixteenth notes being played as singles between the hands and feet. Looking at the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "e" and "a" of 3, and on the "e" of 4 in both bars. Taking the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1&", "2&", and the "&" of 4 in both bars, with open notes on the "&" of 2 and on the "&" of 4. Moving along to the floor tom, we have notes falling on 3 and the "&" of 3 in both bars, with an additional note on the "e" of 4 in the second bar. Next, our snare drum has accented notes falling on 2 and 4 in both bars, with ghost notes on the "e&" of 1 in both bars. Last but not least, our high tom is falling on 3 and the "&" of 3 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1802 - Two Bar Groove With Sixteenth Note Singles Between The Toms & Bass Drum

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a funky groove with eighth notes on the hi-hats and an anticipated buzz stroke on both the hi-hats and snare. Taking the hi-hats first, we have notes falling "1&2&3&4&", with an open note on the "&" of 2 as well as a buzzed note on the "a" of 4. We also have a single "chick" on the "&" of 4. Moving along to the bass drum, we have notes falling on "1&" and on the "&" of 3. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on the "&" of 2, on 4, and a buzzed note on the "a" of 4, as well as a ghost note on the "e" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1803 - A Funky Eighth Note Groove With Anticipated Buzzed Notes In Unison

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove in 6/8 that is broke up between the bass drum, snare drum (with dropped wires), hi-hats, and ride cymbal. Looking at the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and 4 in both bars, as well as hi-hats being chicked on 2, 4, and 6. Taking the snare drum next, we have a buzzed stroke on the "&" of 2 as well as accented notes on 5 and 6 in the first bar. In the second bar, we once again have our buzzed note on the "&" of 2, with additional accented notes falling on 5 and the "e" and "a" of 5, and on "6&". Last but not least, our ride bell is falling in unison with the snare accents in the first bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1804 - Two Bar Groove In 6/8 With Dropped Wires And A Buzzed Note

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is dedicated to Neil Peart, who passed away from brain cancer yesterday. ? Although I was never really a Rush fan, everyone and their mother has heard "Tom Sawyer", so I decided to try and come up with a 7/8 groove that voiced the synth part on the bass drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, "2&", the "&" of 3, the "&" of 4, the "&" of 5, on 6, and finally on 7 in both bars. Looking at the bell of the ride cymbal next, we have notes falling in unison with the bass drum. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 3 and the "&" of 6 in both bars, as well as a ruff that leads into the bass drum on 1. Last but not least, our hi-hat pattern is a two bar phrase with notes falling on 1, 3, 5, and 7 in the first bar and then on 2, 4, and 6 in the final bar. Rest in power, Neil Peart! As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1805 - 7/8 Groove Voicing The Synth Part To "Tom Sawyer" On The Bass Drum

Notation available at:

It's Sunday drumday! :) Today's wake 'n break is a slow backbeat with a ghosted snare drum and a triplet stagger. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and on "3 trip let". Looking at the hi-hats next, we have a notes falling on "1&", 2, "3 trip let", and on "4&" with openings on the "&" of 1 and on the "let" of 3. Last but not least, our snare drum has a group of sixteenth note triplets (counted as 1 trip let & trip let) on "2 trip let & trip let" with 2 and 4 being accented and the rest are ghosted. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1806 - Ghosted Snare Drum Groove With A Triplet Stagger

Notation available at:

A new week is upon us once again! :) Today's wake 'n break is a hybrid of sorts, blending baiao, dance hall, and a backbeat with an uptempo merengue feel (but not the traditional merengue bass drum pattern). Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, and on 3 and the "a" of 3. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have an open note on the "&" of 2 and then closed notes on the "e&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare has a cross stick falling on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1807 - A Hybrid of Baiao, Dance Hall, And A Backbeat With An Uptempo Merengue Feel

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar backbeat with short sixteenth note triplet (counting as "1 trip let & trip let") shuffles played between the snare and hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 1, and on 3 in both bars. Looking at the snare drum next, we have accented notes 2 and 4 as well as ghost notes on the first "let" of 2, the first "trip" of 3, and on the first "let" of 4 in both bars. Last but not least, our hi-hats have notes falling on the first "trip" of 2, the "& of 2, on 3 and the first "let" of 3, and then on the first "trip" of 4 and on the "&" of 4, with the "&" of 4 being played as an open note in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1808 - Two Bar Backbeat With Short Sixteenth Note Triplet Shuffles Between The Snare And Hats

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ?Today's wake 'n break is broken up among the bass drum, snare drum, high tom, hi-hats, and a ride cymbal with jingles draped over it. We also have some sixteenth note triplets (counting: 1 trip let & trip let) on the snare and tom. Looking at the feet first, our bass drum has notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "e&" of 2, and on "3e". Meanwhile, our hi-hats are keeping a steady eighth note pulse on "1&2&3&4&". Moving along to the snare drum, we have a flammed accent on 2, an anticipated accented on the "a" of 4, and a ghost note on the first "let" of 4. Next, our ride cymbal is falling on the "a" of 3 and last but not least, our high tom is falling on the "& trip let" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1809 - Flam & Anticipated Snare Accent With An Eighth Note Pulse On Hats & Jingles On The Ride

Notation available at:

My internet has been spotty all day thanks to some wicked wind, but here's today's wake 'n break. :) It's is a two bar backbeat that has eighth note triplets broken up between a tambourine and hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "let" of 1 in both bars. Looking at the snare next, we have accented notes on 2 and 4 in both bars. Moving along to the tambourine, we have notes falling on the "trip" of 2, and on 3 and the "let" of 3 in both bars. Last but not least, our hi-hats are falling on the "let" of 2, the "trip" of 3, and a short anticipated opening on the "e" of 4 in the first bar. In the second bar, our last hi-hat note is a lingering open note that falls in unison with the snare on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1810 - Two Bar Backbeat With Triplets Played Between A Tambourine And The Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Thank goodness it's Friday! :) Today's wake 'n break is a pretty open groove that starts on an upbeat and utilizes cymbal chokes. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on the "e" of 3 and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Next, our hi-hats are actually playing the first note of the groove with a chick on the "&" of 1, followed by chicks on the rest of the upbeats. Moving along to the ride bell, we have notes falling on the "a" of 1 and on the "&" of 2, followed by a cymbal choke. Last but not least, our snare drum has an accented note on 2, as well as ghost notes on the "e" and "a" of 2, and on 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1811 - Choked Cymbal Groove That Starts On An Upbeat

Notation available at:

Saturday night is alright for fighting but even better for drumming! :) Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove with a steady eighth note pulse on the bass drum and upbeats on the hi-hats. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on "1&2&3&4&" while our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Looking at the ride cymbal next, we have the bell falling on all of the downbeats while the cymbal itself is falling on all of the upbeats (except on the "&" of 4 in the second bar). Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on the "a" of 1, on "2e", the "a" of 3, and on "4e" in the first bar, followed by accented notes on the "a" of 1, the "e&" of 2, and on the "a" of 3 and on 4 in the second bar. Meanwhile, we have ghost notes on the "a" of 2, on "3e", and on the "a" of 4 in the first bar, followed by ghost notes on "1e", the "a" of 2, and on "3e" in the second bar. The groove ends with a short five stroke roll on the "&" of 4 in the second bar, which leads into the 1 of the first bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1812 - Two Bar Groove With Eighth Notes On The Bass Drum & Upbeats On The Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Back