"Wake 'n Break" Series

Today's wake 'n break is a 6/4 groove with a sixteenth note triplet counterclockwise lick (counting "1 trip let & trip let"). Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&" and on "4&". Looking at the ride cymbal next, we have notes falling on 1, 2 and the "&" of 2, and on 3. Moving along to the hi-hats, we have open notes on the "e" and "a" of 2, as well as on the "a" of 6. We also have chicked notes on the "&" of 3 and on "4& 5& 6&". Next, our snare drum has an anticipated note on the "e" of 3, the second "let" of 5 and on 6. Finally, we come to the toms. Starting on the floor tom, we have notes falling on 4 and on "5 trip let" and last but not least, our high tom is falling on the "a" of 3 and on the second "trip" and "let" of 5. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1933 - A 6/4 Groove With A Counterclockwise Sixteenth Note Triplet Lick

Today's wake 'n break is a sixteenth note groove in 5/4 with a broken swing feel on the hi-hats. Looking at the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on 1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a, and on 5e&a, with open notes on the "e" of 4 and on the "&" of 5. Taking the bass drum next, we have notes falling on "1&", the "e" and "a" of 3, on 4, and on the "e&" of 5. Last but not least, our snare has accented notes on 2 and the "a" of 4, as well as ghost notes on the "&a" of 2 and on 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1934 - Sixteenth Note Groove In 5/4 With A Broken Swing Feel On The Hi-Hats

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a relaxing two bar tom groove that is built on top of the baiao foot ostinato (although we're omitting one note). Taking the foot ostinato first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, and on 3 and the "a" of 3. Meanwhile, the hi-hats are being splashed on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Looking at the floor tom next, we have notes falling on "1e&a" and on 2 in both bars, with an additional note on 4 in the second bar. Moving along to the high tom next, we have notes falling on the "e" of 2 in both bars, with an additional note on the "a" of 3 in the second bar. Last but not least, our snare drum (with dropped wires) has notes falling on "3e&a" and 4 in the first bar and on "4e&" in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1935 - Relaxing Two Bar Tom Groove On Top of The Baiao Foot Ostinato

Notation:

For the past few days, I've found myself playing around with mellow tom themes and this wake 'n break is a two bar groove in 6/8. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 in both bars. Next, our hi-hats are being chicked on 3 in both bars. Moving along to the floor tom, we have notes falling on 4 in both bars. Next, our high tom is falling on 5 in the first bar and on 6 in the second bar. Last but not least, our snare drum (with dropped wires) has a single note on 6 in the first bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1936 - A Mellow Two Bar Tom Groove In 6/8

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a lumbering boom bap beat with a trashy and abrupt sixteenth note triplet fill (counting "1 trip let & trip let") that ends with an anticipated cymbal accent. It reminds me a bit of an Alchemist or Daringer "fill" that they sometimes program into their beats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&" and on the second "let" of 3. Next, our ride bell is falling on 1, 2, and on 3 and the second "let" of 3. Moving along to the snare drum, we have notes falling on 2 and the "a" of 2, the first "trip" and "let" of 2, and on the second "let" of 4. Taking the toms next, our high tom has a note falling on the "&" of 3 and the floor tom has a note on the second "trip" of 3. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being splashed on all of the upbeats or "&'s". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1937 - Trashy Boom Bap Beat With An Abrupt Fill And Anticipated Cymbal Accent

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar triplet groove with four on the floor with a syncopated hand to hand hi-hat pattern. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes on 1, 2, 3, and 4 in both bars. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "trip" of 1, the "trip" of 2, the "trip" of 3, and on the "trip" and "let" of 4 in the first bar. Meanwhile, the second bar has hi-hat notes falling on the "trip" of 1, the "trip" of 2, the "trip" of 3, and an open note on the "trip" of 4. Last but not least, we have accented snare notes on the "let" of 3 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1938 - Two Bar Triplet Groove With A Syncopated Hand-To-Hand Hi-Hat Pattern

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a four bar tom groove that utilizes a tamborim on top of a ride ride cymbal, but you can use whatever sound you would like. For me, the interesting part of the groove is the tom phrasing, which begins on the second beat in the measure. Looking at our feet first, we have our bass drum falling on 1 in all four bars as well as our hi-hats being chicked on 2 and 4, with the 4 in the second and fourth bars being splashed. Now we come to the hands. Taking the floor tom first, we have notes falling on "2e" and on the "&a" of 4 in the first and third bars, and on the "&a" of 2 in the second and fourth bars. Moving along to the high tom next, we have notes falling on the "&a" of 2 in the first and third bars, and on "1e" and "3e" in the second and fourth bars. Now we come to the snare drum (with dropped wires). In the first and third bars, we have notes falling on "3e&". In the second bar, we have notes on "1e" and "3e", as well as a buzz stroke on 4. Finally, the snare in the fourth bar is the same as the second bar except we are omitting a note on 4. Last but not least, the tamborim has a single buzz stroke on 4 in the fourth bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1939 - Double Stroke Tom Groove With The Hands Beginning On Two

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar waltz groove in memory of Jimmy Cobb. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 both bars. Looking at the ride cymbal next, we have notes falling on 1, 2 and the "let" of 2, and on 3 in the first bar, followed by notes on 1, 2 and a buzz stroke on "let" of 2 in the second bar. Moving along to the snare drum, we have ghost notes on the "let" of each beat in the first bar, followed by ghost notes on the "let" of 1 and the "let" of 2 in the second bar, as well as an accented note on the "let" of 3 in the second bar. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being splashed on 1 and 3 in the first bar, and on 2 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1940 - Two Bar Waltz In Memory of Jimmy Cobb

Last edited:
Today's wake 'n break is a simple, sparse, and fat triplet backbeat in 6/4 with some breathing room. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and on the "let" of 6. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1 trip let", an open note on 2, and then notes on "4 trip let", "5 trip let", and "6 trip let". Last but not least, our snare has accented notes falling on 2, 4, and 6. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1941 - Simple, Sparse, And Fat Triplet Backbeat In 6/4

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a two bar backbeat that has wide and dirty flams being played between the hi-hats and snare drum. It almost has a tinge of trip hop to it. Taking the feet first, our bass drum has notes falling on 1 and 3 in the first bar, followed by notes on 1 and "3 trip let" in the second bar. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Last but not least, we come to our "messy" hi-hat/snare flams where the hi-hat is being hit slightly before the snare drum, and these flams are providing the backbeat on 2 and 4 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1942 - Backbeat With Dirty/Trashy Flams Played Between The Hi-Hats & Snare Drum

Today's wake 'n break is a four bar variation of songo in 6/8. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and 3 in the first bar, on 6 in the second bar, on 1 and 3 in the third bar, and on 2 and 6 in the fourth and final bar. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have open notes falling on 1 and 5 in the first and third bars, and on 3 in the second and fourth bars. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 3 in the first and third bars and on 2 in the second and fourth bars, as well as ghost notes on 6 in the first and third bars and on 4 and 5 in the second bar and fourth bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1943 - A Four Bar Songo Variation In 6/8

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a four bar groove in 6/8 that utilizes a tamborim in one hand and features both open and closed tones. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes on 1 and the "&" of 2. Next, our hi-hats are being chicked on the "&" of 1 and struck on 3. Moving along to the snare drum, we have an accent on 4 and last but not least, our tamborim has notes falling on "5&6&". The tamborim pattern remains the same, but we are going up in pitch in the first three bars and then down in the fourth and final bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1944 - Four Bar Groove In 6/8 With Pitch Shifting Tamborim Pattern

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a 4/4 tom groove (our snare has dropped wires) that utilizes a cowbell placed on top of the floor tom. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 2, on 3, and on the "a" of 4. Next, our floor tom is falling on 1 and 3. Moving along to the snare, we have accented notes on the "e" of 2 and on 4, as well as ghost notes on the "e&" of 1, the "e&" of 3, and on the "e&" of 4. Coming to the cowbell, we have anticipated notes falling on the "a" of 1 and on the "a" of 3 and last but not least, our hi-hats are being splashed on all of the upbeats or "&'s". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1945 - Tom Groove w/ Anticipated Cowbell Hits And Splashed Hats On The Upbeats

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is what I'm calling an "industrial samba" groove and it utilizes a splash cymbal on top of the high tom. Taking the basic samba foot ostinato, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, 2 and the "a" of 2, 3 and the "a" of 3, and on 4 and the "a" of 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Moving along to the floor tom, we have notes falling on "1e&", "2e&", "3e&", and on "4e". Last but not least, the splash on our tom is falling in unison with all of the bass drum notes. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1946 - A Trashy Industrial Samba Groove With Splash Cymbal On The High Tom

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a half time shuffle in 5/4 that utilizes a cymbal stack made up of a ride and splash. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "let" of 5. Next, our stack is falling on 1 and the "let" of 1, 2 and the "let" of 2, 3 and the "let" of 3, 4 and the "let" of 4, and on 5 and the "let" of 5. Moving along to the snare drum, we have ghost notes on the "trip" of 1, the "trip" of 2, the "trip" of 3, and on the "trip" of 5, as well as a single accented note on the "trip" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are keeping a quarter note pulse on 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1947 - Halftime Shuffle Groove In 5/4 With A Ride & Splash Cymbal Stack

I was in no mood for a chipper intro or to think of a funny outro for today's wake 'n break. I'm sickened by the absolute madness that is happening in the streets of the United States, so I decided to play a slow and somber blues shuffle with meditative Noah bells. Take this time to reflect on what is truly important and remember, SAY HIS NAME! GEORGE FLOYD!

Wake n Break No. 1948 - Slow And Somber Blues Shuffle With Meditative Noah Bells (Say His Name, GEORGE FLOYD!)

Today's wake 'n break is a syncopated hi-hat groove in 6/4. Starting with the bass drum, we have notes falling on "1&2&". Lookig at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1&2&", the "&" of 3, on "4&", the "&" of 5 and on 6, with openings on the "&" of 2, the "&" of 4, and on 6. Last but not least, our snare drum has a single accented note on 5. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1949 - A Syncopated Hi-Hat Groove In 6/4

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is an uptempo afrobeat groove but I didn't have a chance to break the groove down yet. I will be adding it later tonight. Also, enjoy a nice outro dedicated to Hilary Jones. ;)

Wake n Break No. 1950 - An Uptempo Afrobeat Groove

Today's wake 'n break is funky quasi-linear groove with anticipated hi-hat openings. Taking the bass drum first, we have a single note falling on 1. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, the "&" of 2, 3 and on the "&a" of 3, and on the "&" of 4, with the "a" of 1 and the "a" of 3 being open notes. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 2 and 4, as well as ghost notes on the "e" of 1, the "e" and "a" of 2, the "e" of 3, and on the "e" and "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1951 - A Quasi-Linear Funk Groove With Anticipated Hi-Hat Openings

Notation:

Today's wake 'n break is a boom bap beat with anticipated bass drum notes and tamborica notes on the upbeats (unfortunately, the tamborica is out of frame because it's extremely tall). Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "e" and "a" of 3 and on the "e" and "a" of 4. Looking at the snare drum next, we have accented notes on 2, the "a" of 2, and on 3, as well as ghost notes on "1e&", the "e" of 2, the "e&a" of 3, and on "4e&a". Last but not least, our tamborica is falling on all of the upbeats or "&'s". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1952 - Boom Bap Beat With Tamborica Notes On The Upbeats

Notation:

Back