Virgil Donati

While I admire any drummer with monster chops, I prefer listening to simpler players, like Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Charlie Watts, Bobby Elliott, Kenney Jones, Al Jackson, Jr., Kenny Aronoff, Ringo, Jim Keltner, Hal Blaine, Stanton Moore, Richie Hayward, and so many others. In other words, drummers who play for the song and the groove.

Donati, Mike Portnoy and Thomas Lang fall into that category of drummers who are constantly displaying their considerable chops. Most of what I have heard of the music they play just doesn't move me at all. I feel the same way about Neil Peart. These guys just don't have a swing to their playing that I can relate to. Maybe it's my background in the great drummers of the 30's and 40's, and the early rock drummers of the 50's and 60's. I like their grooves much more. I feel the same way about most of the early Bop drummers, like Elvin Jones. But some people love his playing.

Different strokes...

Stanton Moore a simpler player?

The comparison makes no sense, they play different genres.
And that changes the fact that Stanton plays less than Virgil how? Doesn’t mean he’s not as good. Just means he doesn’t go out of his way to complicate his parts.

And that changes the fact that Stanton plays less than Virgil how? Doesn’t mean he’s not as good. Just means he doesn’t go out of his way to complicate his parts.

My bad, I thought you meant that he is less talented.

My band Kyros are very lucky to be playing on the same bill as Donati's band Icefish next weekend. I'm expecting to be amazed and slightly terrified watching him play after our set!!
338140652_6342192562504778_3583840623031174285_n.jpg

Back