USA bound

basset52

Well, in 3 days time my wife and I will be visiting the US of A. Heading to Nashville for one week initially for a wedding of a close friend. Then to Denver to check out the Rockies. Then driving via Yellowstone to Seattle for a few days Train to Vancouver. Then a flight back to Phoenix, where we pick up a 7day tour around some of your other beautiful National Parks, inc the very large canyon.The tour finishes in Vegas . Then back to San Diego to say farewell to our newly married friends for a couple of days, then back home. 6 weeks in all. Can't wait!

Sounds good! If I may, I highly encourage a stop to Glacier National Park. In my opinion its much prettier and is less crowded than Yellowstone. At least it was the last time I went.

Wow, I live here, and I'm jealous of your trip. That sounds like fun. Just think: you won't have to worry about any drop bears for a full 6 weeks. You can finally relax while near trees.

Wow, I live here, and I'm jealous of your trip. That sounds like fun. Just think: you won't have to worry about any drop bears for a full 6 weeks. You can finally relax while near trees.

Yeah, It will be nice not to have to wear the helmet and cast iron shoulder pads around trees for a while. !!

Sounds like an epic trip, and you'll get to miss six weeks of SA winter!

Be aware that Phoenix in summer is as hot, or even hotter, than summer in Adelaide, so be prepared.

Great itinerary, some incredible scenery. Enjoy!

Not sure what the elevation is like where you are from, but my advice is to hydrate way more than you normally would. The altitudes you will be at when visiting the "very large" canyon, Yellowstone and especially Denver can play havoc on your body. Altitude sickness sucks and there really is no way to prevent it, some people are just prone to it, but we were always told that ensuring we were adequately hydrated would help. I have seen people in Denver board the plane sicker than a dog and walk off perfectly fine when back at sea level. Just something to watch out for.

Sounds like a great trip. yes, Phoenix is very hot during the day this time of year. Although we are supposed to be getting some rain soon.

Hit me up if you want to go out one night, we have some great music venues around the downtown, my wife and I would be happy to show you around.

I have friends in the UK that visited here a while back. They didn't want to go home. For all the negative garbage about the USA in the media, you just can't beat it. Not only the land of the free....but the land of everything you could possibly imagine. Have a great time!

I have friends in the UK that visited here a while back. They didn't want to go home. For all the negative garbage about the USA in the media, you just can't beat it. Not only the land of the free....but the land of everything you could possibly imagine. Have a great time!

Hoo Yea! I don't make excuses for the negative image of Americans when I travel except for this nonsense that our beer is crap. We have cheap beer just like anywhere else but we have some good, good local brews in every big city here.

Not sure what the elevation is like where you are from, but my advice is to hydrate way more than you normally would. The altitudes you will be at when visiting the "very large" canyon, Yellowstone and especially Denver can play havoc on your body. Altitude sickness sucks and there really is no way to prevent it, some people are just prone to it, but we were always told that ensuring we were adequately hydrated would help. I have seen people in Denver board the plane sicker than a dog and walk off perfectly fine when back at sea level. Just something to watch out for.

Thanks for the hydration tip - we are at sea level here in Adelaide. I know Denver is pretty high but didn't know about how high the canyon was ! Australia is pretty well a flat country essentially.

Hoo Yea! I don't make excuses for the negative image of Americans when I travel except for this nonsense that our beer is crap. We have cheap beer just like anywhere else but we have some good, good local brews in every big city here.

Hey, beer is beer right!If its brown and got a head on it and cold I'll drink it - probably in large quantities.

Sounds like a great trip. yes, Phoenix is very hot during the day this time of year. Although we are supposed to be getting some rain soon.

Hit me up if you want to go out one night, we have some great music venues around the downtown, my wife and I would be happy to show you around.

Thank you - a very kind offer. I will certainly be in touch if circumstances permit.
Cheers

You got that right. America is loaded with some of the best beer in the world. Its amazing how many micro breweries we have that make fabulous beer along with a growing number of brew pubs that put out outstanding beer.

We have these monstrous liquor stores nearby called Spirits Unlimited which are the size of a small supermarket, or big supermarket depending on what part of the globe you're from. I'm amazed at the selection. Must be over 500 different micro brews available including some local beers they offer on tap and jugged.

Here's a section of just 1 of their beer aisles. This one is mostly mainstream beers. Its about 150' long.

beer22.jpg

Well, been in Nashville for a couple of days now. Went to Fork's Drum Closet today ( thanks Jon B for the tip) while the Minister of Finance went dress shopping. What a blast! Talk about eye candy for drummers! Great staff as well. Tried out the new Zildians and a host of other cymbals/hats that I've read about on this forum. Can't help feeling very envious of all you Nashville'ites who have such a great drummers resource.
BTW the beer I've had has been great as well!

Have a good trip! If you like Mexican, check out Lindo Michoacan. Great food and atmosphere.

What a great itinerary, welcome and have a great time! Be sure to watch out for these two while out west:

Attachments

• yogi.jpg
    yogi.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 63
What a great itinerary, welcome and have a great time! Be sure to watch out for these two while out west:

Thank you. The great time has started - last night went down broadway in the city and watched a few bands and a drink or two. Gonna go back Sat night.
I will keep my eye out - it looks like they might be easy to spot!

Back