US/Brit word-conversion guide.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
the-uks-biggest-export-is-humour-photos-4.jpg

Cool. I've always wanted to sound hip and use the word "bollocks" in a sentence but I'm sure it would be taken the wrong way.
Especially since I'm not sure exactly what it means.

Cool. I've always wanted to sound hip and use the word "bollocks" in a sentence but I'm sure it would be taken the wrong way.
Especially since I'm not sure exactly what it means.

The word has several uses, here's a few -

"You are talking bollocks!" - I disagree with what you are saying

"It was bollocks" - It wasn't very good/it was bad.

"Bollocks" - Testicles.

Generally the word "bollocks" isn't used in polite conversation.

crispycritters said:
Generally the word "bollocks" isn't used in polite conversation.

Well, unless you are talking about "the dog's bollocks." Then its a good thing. You probably wouldnt use the phrase around the queen, but I'm sure it could be used in polite conversation with friends or even strangers at a football match.

I think it's cool how they use the word lift and we use elevator. The U.S. word is so formal and the British word is a simple noun/verb combination.

"Post-Lord" - That one had me chuckling.

You'd think we both spoke English but no one speaks English and the other a bastardization we call "Mericun" in the South, "AmeriCAN" in Boston, "Americano" in California. LOL. So we have to consider the various American dialects and slang-as I would imagine the UK would also have that regionally? "Mind the gap". LOL

Elevator or lift-I dislike both-the former American one often too big with too many occupants and it travels so fast you leave your stomach three flights behind you-the later UK one often too small and slow so you'd just as soon take the stairs-but that's really good you lazy American lol.

I don't recognise many of those............
A Donut is a Donut.
Mailman is either a Postman/woman or just Postie.
Restroom is either The Bog, Toilets or the Shitter!
Far too many descriptive words for Pants....... Trousers being the most common. Pants are our underwear & can be also....... keks, Grollies, Undercrackers, Clemmies, Knackersacks!
Hot Dog is a Hot Dog,
Sidewalk is a Path or Pavement.
Tic, Tac, Toe is Noughts & Crosses.
Cotton Candy is Candyfloss.

We refer to relieving oneself as going Number 1 or Number 2, Number 2 being the stinker. But we often use metaphors like, " I gotta go take my snake for a walk", or " I gotta go drop the kids off at the pool". What do they say in England?

We refer to relieving oneself as going Number 1 or Number 2, Number 2 being the stinker. But we often use metaphors like, " I gotta go take my snake for a walk", or " I gotta go drop the kids off at the pool". What do they say in England?

Don't forget, "I gotta go see a man about a horse."

About 75% of all British Slang comes from the Suburbs of East London, Cockney Slang.

USA Gay Man - Gay Man
Brit Gay Man - Uphill Gardener

USA Wife: Old Lady, The Wife
Brit Wife: Trouble and Strife

People who are Americans - Seppos
Septic Tank rhymes with Yank, hence - abbreviated to Seppo.

USA: Having a Laugh
Brit: Having a Turkish. Laugh rhymes with Turkish Bath, abbreviated to Turkish.

There are gazzilions of these. Urban Dictionary is a good source for all Cockney Slang, some will make you piss your pants.

Back