Upgrade from Alesis Turbo to Alesis Nitro

vadimb123

I have an Alesis Turbo Mesh drum set and I am thinking about getting the Alesis Nitro Mesh drum set. Is the Nitro that much better than the Turbo? Is it worth it to upgrade? The main reason I am thinking about it is because the Turbo doesn't have that many kits and I don't especially like any of them that much, but I use headphones so maybe that's why they don't sound that good. Would it make more sense to buy an amp instead, or both?

roncadillac

This isn't totally up to date but is a good starting point at comparing alesis offerings: https://www.alesis.com/drum-kit-comparison
Basically... You aren't really getting much extra by going to the nitro mesh. The surge/command lines are were you'll see differences (pretty much just in having dual zone triggers on toms and more sounds/features in the module). You don't really see a major improvement in features until you get to the crimson and dm10 level. I personally play on a nitro mesh and on a crimson 2 SE. I looked at the surge and command lines but there really isn't that much of a difference over the nitro.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have a Nitro kit not mesh. I think it has great sounds and plenty of them. However it is not capable of of triggering cymbals with multi zones. So if you want to add a ride cymbal someday and have a bell sound, a bow sound and a crash sound from it, the Nitro kit will not support that. I don't know if the command or other kit mentioned will support that but I know the Nitro will not .That might be something to consider. I use mine for rehearsals and think it's a great kit considering I bought it new for less than $ 300. But the multi zone ride cymbal thing is disappointing.

Doraemon

I have an Alesis Turbo Mesh drum set and I am thinking about getting the Alesis Nitro Mesh drum set. Is the Nitro that much better than the Turbo? Is it worth it to upgrade? The main reason I am thinking about it is because the Turbo doesn't have that many kits and I don't especially like any of them that much, but I use headphones so maybe that's why they don't sound that good. Would it make more sense to buy an amp instead, or both?
In terms of sound and module features, it's a worthy upgrade, since the Turbo is very limited (can’t even save user kits or adjust pad volume!) and sounds pretty bad IMO. As for drum pads, it's not that much better. They both come with 4x8" pads and 3x10" cymbals, the Nitro is only better in having a dual zone snare and one crash with choke, plus a kick pad. I would probably look for a Surge instead, since its 10" snare is a lot more playable, it has mesh kick pad which is usable with double pedals and is a bit quieter. Their modules are the same. Also the Surge has 1.5" rack like the Turbo (Nitro is diff.). If there is a good used market there, you could also just get a Nitro/Surge module (with wires!) and a kick pad (like Yamaha KP65) for your current setup (your kick pedal won't work with more advanced kits). It all depends on your budget and how much you can sell the Turbo for, or if it's worth selling at all. Another option is to connect it to a PC with its usb midi and use sounds from a music program.

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
Doraemon, I'm glad you mentioned the double pedal. I hooked mine up on my Nitro kit and it was very difficult to get both beaters to trigger. It's not double beater friendly

electrodrummer

" I use headphones so maybe that's why they don't sound that good. Would it make more sense to buy an amp instead..."

Headphones (as long as they are reasonable ;) ) will sound better than many/most amps.

roncadillac

" I use headphones so maybe that's why they don't sound that good. Would it make more sense to buy an amp instead..."

Headphones (as long as they are reasonable ;) ) will sound better than many/most amps.
I agree. I use a cheap pair of numark headphones and a buddy recently let me borrow his Roland kc150 keyboard amp, the Roland keyboard amp sounds pretty darn good... I'm impressed with the lows it's able to pump out, HOWEVER the numark headphones have a noticably wider range of frequencies, are much more audibly expressive, and just plain sound better on all accounts. Those headphones cost me about $15 where as the Roland amp cost my buddy $400+. The downfall of the headphones is they don't really do anything for me in band rehearsal situations (well.. unless everyone runs into the board and we use a bunch of headphone splitters but that's a conversation for another time).

lefty2

Platinum Member
I agree. I use a cheap pair of numark headphones and a buddy recently let me borrow his Roland kc150 keyboard amp, the Roland keyboard amp sounds pretty darn good... I'm impressed with the lows it's able to pump out, HOWEVER the numark headphones have a noticably wider range of frequencies, are much more audibly expressive, and just plain sound better on all accounts. Those headphones cost me about $15 where as the Roland amp cost my buddy $400+. The downfall of the headphones is they don't really do anything for me in band rehearsal situations (well.. unless everyone runs into the board and we use a bunch of headphone splitters but that's a conversation for another time).
I bought a used Simmons 50 watt amp for around $100.00 I run my kit through the board for the band and use the amp for my monitor at rehearsal

roncadillac

I bought a used Simmons 50 watt amp for around $100.00 I run my kit through the board for the band and use the amp for my monitor at rehearsal

At home I run my crimson 2 through headphones if it's just me or (recently) through the Roland if I have people over, it's not earth rattling sound quality but it works totally fine and sounds good. GOOD, no more... No less.

At rehearsal I run the nitro mesh into the board then into 2 Behringer powered speakers... The board is old and crappy, the speakers are partially blown, plus we've got several vocals and keys all running through it simultany so my sound is a little flat. I could really care less in that situation because I don't own that board/speakers, I no longer have to move drums 1-2 times a week for rehearsal, plus it's not a live gig nor recording so I don't need the best sound quality. I do hope to improve that situation at some point but it works for now lol.

I still haven't been able to convince the current band to let me use edrums live (even though they really like edrums at rehearsal) but if I ever did I would use the Roland keyboard amp on stage as a personal monitor and to boost the ambience in the immediate area surrounding my kit then run my mains through the house pa and sub (not the crappy ones used at rehearsal mentioned above, of course).