Two floor tom set ups. 14/16 or 16/18?

I prefer the 14/16 combo. I like the tone of the toms to follow the next logical size as opposed to the floor toms being too lower pitched in a drum fill coming off the racks. To each his own but thats my preference.

14/16. I like the tonal qualities, the smaller footprint, and hey, 18" heads ain't cheap.
I'm searching for a 16"FT for my kit that isn't outrageously priced.
This is exactly what I have, 14/16 FT.
My vintage 5 pc kit had the 14" but felt like I needed something with a little more bottom besides the BD. So I got lucky and after keeping my eyes open on all the usual sites for months, on ebay I found a 16" NOS from the 90's with die cast hoops in brand new condition that is an exact match to my Superstars, priced less than a brand new drum of equal quality (less of a market?). It's the only drum in my kit except for my snare that is 'flawless'. So now the toms are 12, 13, 14, and 16.

Why don't they make a 15" FT?

Excuse me, but do you have your mounted toms in reverse on the Tama kit? I won't be able to sleep tonight and if @Al Strange sees this there might be convulsions.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention @SomeBadDrummer …I’ll not sleep tonight now! Is @cbphoto trolling those of us who believe in the sacred natural order of the Tom Tom?! What is this abomination?! Nurse! Bring me my meds and a picture of Spider-Man’s swollen hand!!! 🤯 😂(y)

Thank you for bringing this to my attention @SomeBadDrummer …I’ll not sleep tonight now! Is @cbphoto trolling those of us who believe in the sacred natural order of the Tom Tom?! What is this abomination?! Nurse! Bring me my meds and a picture of Spider-Man’s swollen hand!!! 🤯 😂(y)
It all started in the Paleolithic era, with my first kit: A Slingerland bass with a hoop-mounted 12” tom. I was gifted a 13” Ludwig tom and that ended up on a stand to the left of the 12” tom. 🤷

14/16 is more musical, I think. Drums are getting a little too big for my tastes. The 18" would never make it out of the house. Just my opinion.

Size almost doesn't matter to me because I go for a certain set of intervals between drums and I can tune almost any normal sized drum that's close to the size I like, so it makes the note that I need.

Gigs? 1 - 16" floor tom
At home I have a 14 x 12 and an 18 x 16. The 14 x 12 is a punch machine...I love that size. And the 18 is just thunder.
An 18" tom is too big for me to manage at gigs. I don't do a lot of tom work anyway. A 16 is all I really want.
I do have an Eames kit that has a 15" floor tom but I haven't touched it about 30 years. Nice set of drums.
The whole kit needs refinishing, it's battle scarred to hell.

I like 14,16 floor toms but I really hate toms in general-they aren’t used thst much and that is to much. I’d like to try just 14/16 floors. Maybe one on each side.

16" and 18" on my recently new DW set. I've done the 14" and 16" thing before and prefer the larger sizes.

14/16-- 14 can be a punchy low sound, 16 is low enough as a very low sound.

That 18 is just a big pile of dog food over there-- kind of useless to me as a tom tom sound. Maybe I could use a very low sound + a very very low sound if I was playing a different kind of music, idk...

I went with 16/18 as you can see. 13, 16, 18, 24

That said I also ordered (6 months ago) a 14 for my Brooklyn kit. 10, 12, 14, 16, 22

I used to have a '64 Slingerland kit, 12, 14, 20, That was a great sounding 14. I'm hoping the coming Brooklyn 14 will live up to my expectations.

IMG_0153.jpg

2nd Floor tom can also be seen as an extra target/movement.. two similar diameter with a slight tuning difference may serve the "target practice" mission..
two 14s two 16s
more of a movement twisting (shoulder and waist) exercise
and a "how low do you want to go"

Last edited:
As a right-handed drummer, 14/16 to my right, 15 on the left next to HHs.

Me the 14 and 16, thats what came with the kit a bought. Never played an 18 inch floor. I have the 14 floor to my left next to the hi-hat(im a right handed player)

Back