Two floor tom set ups. 14/16 or 16/18?

jefforr

I prefer the 14/16 combo. I like the tone of the toms to follow the next logical size as opposed to the floor toms being too lower pitched in a drum fill coming off the racks. To each his own but thats my preference.

SomeBadDrummer

14/16. I like the tonal qualities, the smaller footprint, and hey, 18" heads ain't cheap.
I'm searching for a 16"FT for my kit that isn't outrageously priced.
This is exactly what I have, 14/16 FT.
My vintage 5 pc kit had the 14" but felt like I needed something with a little more bottom besides the BD. So I got lucky and after keeping my eyes open on all the usual sites for months, on ebay I found a 16" NOS from the 90's with die cast hoops in brand new condition that is an exact match to my Superstars, priced less than a brand new drum of equal quality (less of a market?). It's the only drum in my kit except for my snare that is 'flawless'. So now the toms are 12, 13, 14, and 16.

Why don't they make a 15" FT?

SomeBadDrummer

Al Strange

Excuse me, but do you have your mounted toms in reverse on the Tama kit? I won't be able to sleep tonight and if @Al Strange sees this there might be convulsions.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention @SomeBadDrummer …I’ll not sleep tonight now! Is @cbphoto trolling those of us who believe in the sacred natural order of the Tom Tom?! What is this abomination?! Nurse! Bring me my meds and a picture of Spider-Man’s swollen hand!!! 🤯 😂(y)

cbphoto

Gold Member
Thank you for bringing this to my attention @SomeBadDrummer …I’ll not sleep tonight now! Is @cbphoto trolling those of us who believe in the sacred natural order of the Tom Tom?! What is this abomination?! Nurse! Bring me my meds and a picture of Spider-Man’s swollen hand!!! 🤯 😂(y)
It all started in the Paleolithic era, with my first kit: A Slingerland bass with a hoop-mounted 12” tom. I was gifted a 13” Ludwig tom and that ended up on a stand to the left of the 12” tom. 🤷

steverok

Silver Member
14/16 is more musical, I think. Drums are getting a little too big for my tastes. The 18" would never make it out of the house. Just my opinion.

Bozozoid

I've already replied a few weeks ago with 14/16 but I'm changin my mind. I don't like 16's. I'm going with 2 14's. This is PERMANENT now.