TV shows or movies that didn't hold up through the test of time for you.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I used to love Three's Company when I was a kid. Tried watching it as an adult, and it was pretty terrible. I tried to watch an old Roger Moore James Bond movie too, and I just couldn't stomach it.

Ever loved a show or a movie from many years ago, then you rediscovered it and tried to watch it only to step back and say, "How did I EVER stand this?"

Last edited:

Mcdonap

I used to look forward to Happy Days when I was a kid. I wouldn't say it was my favorite, but I do remember sitting down to watch it. A few years ago I saw it was on MeTV, so I decided I'd check it out - I couldn't believe how bad it was.

When my son was little - maybe 10 years ago - I saw The Flintstones were on. I thought it might be fun for him, but it was completely unwatchable!

The Shepherd

One day last year I decided to watch an episode of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe with my nine yr old son.

It was pretty bad.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I was listening to a podcast maybe a year or so ago, and the host talked about how painful it was to watch an old episode of Johnny Carson these days. She said the pace of that show was soooo sloooow. They would have the same guest for multiple segments, and it was painful to watch. Granted, people had much longer attention spans back then, and it was rare to see a movie star NOT in character and outside of the show or movie. I'm sure it was fascinating then to see Linda Laven from Alice talk about her favorite candy or whatever, but these days it just wouldn't fly.

John Q. Drummer

The James Cameron movie Avatar from 2009. Culturally and socially irrelevant. Weak story. No memorable characters. Pandora is now more synonymous with the music streaming service, not a fictitious planet full of "Unobtainium". Only the highest grossing film of all time due to the technology used to create the film, not the film itself.

I believe a very strong argument could be made that the film didn't hold up a single year past its release date.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I can't imagine watching ANY TV show from years past and still being entertained. Mostly because I gave up watching all comedies/drams/scripted shows many years ago, as I realized they were ALL a major waste of my time.

If I'm watching TV, it's usually because it's a documentary, or has some educational or historical content.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
As far as movies, a lot.

Most 80's action movies that I loved as a kid seem so stupid and unrealistic now.

Indiana Jones and part 1 is pretty awesome. But when we watched the 2nd and 3rd ones with my kids, what the hell were they thinking? People are hard on the 4th one for ruining the storyline and reality, but come one, the 2nd and 3rd are just as bad.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I used to look forward to Happy Days when I was a kid. I wouldn't say it was my favorite, but I do remember sitting down to watch it. A few years ago I saw it was on MeTV, so I decided I'd check it out - I couldn't believe how bad it was.

When my son was little - maybe 10 years ago - I saw The Flintstones were on. I thought it might be fun for him, but it was completely unwatchable!
I'm not surprised that Happy Days has aged badly but I thought that The Flintstones would have been timeless, no pun intended.
I wonder how we'll look back on today's TV and film in 30 years? Personally probably not well, I haven't watched a mainstream film for many years and my last visit to the cinema was a weekday morning visit to see Skyfall with my young son 10 years ago, my previous visit was in 2003 to watch Love Actually a film we almost walked out of.

Macarina

Silver Member
I REALLY wanted my favorite old shows to have that magic when watching them first time as a kid. But as DrumEatDrum expressed, they don’t come close to holding up.
Sadly my recent attempts at watching…
Outer Limits
Kung Fu
… are just not recapturing the fun.

BGDurham

My 16yo and 13yo kids think these old shows are bizarre in nearly every way: pacing, storyline, styles, vernacular, spoon feeding the audience, music. Old movies too. They are a little too young to at least appreciate their historical value.

Last edited:

Benthedrummer

I remember watching Beastmaster as a kid when I was having a sleepover at a friend's place.

It gave me the heebie-jeebies and I had nightmares, but I thought the effects were amazing.

I watched it recently and realised that it was absolutely..... totally........ completely damn awful.

Rochelle Rochelle

In high school and college I loved the MTV shows Beavis and Butthead, Daria, and The State. A few years ago I recently rewatched some of them and they don't have the same appeal that they did. I admit to loving the Roger Moore Bond movies, though, still!

cbphoto

Diamond Member
The James Cameron movie Avatar from 2009. Culturally and socially irrelevant. Weak story. No memorable characters.
It's Dances With Wolves set on a different planet.

Al Strange

Platinum Member
I remember bigging up “Stand by me” to my wife because I thought it was a great film when I saw it as a kid. It didn’t take long for me to realise it wasn’t quite the movie I remembered it to be!! Don’t get me started on “Top Gun”!:ROFLMAO:

GretschedHive

Silver Member
My wife and I are big believers in cultural literacy. So we've shown our kids a very decent sampling of the most notable shows and films over the years. Meaning they've seen at least a few episodes of things like I Love Lucy and the Honeymooners, the Dick van Dyke Show, The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, MASH and so on and so forth. Some of those still hold up surprisingly well--The Dick van Dyke Show and MASH, in particular (although the sexual politics of MASH are absolutely egregious, especially but not exclusively in the early seasons). Oh, and The Twilight Zone and Monty Python's Flying Circus; the production values of The Flying Circus can be challenging, with some not ideal sound issues, and the racism can be extremely disappointing, to put it mildly. The Twilight Zone actually tends to be quite a bit better in that regard, generally.

We do the same with film. They've seen a handful of Buster Keaton and some Charlie Chaplin and those are still absolutely fabulous--my teenagers have never NOT been utterly enthralled. The Marx Brothers. Hitchcock. John Ford and John Wayne. Screwball comedies. Buddy pictures. Film noir. Sci-fi. Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan (the Hong Kong stuff).

And of all of them, perhaps the ones that to my disappointment have in some ways held up the least well are the John Hughes films from the 80s. The racism and homophobia are just so prevalent, and playing off rape as either funny or romantic is beyond gross. There's still a lot of really good stuff there, but some of it's just so disappointing.

NouveauCliche

I used to love Three's Company when I was a kid. Tried watching it as an adult, and it was pretty terrible. I tried to watch an old Roger Moore James Bond movie too, and I just couldn't stomach it.

Ever loved a show or a movie from many years ago, then you rediscovered it and tried to watch it only to step back and say, "How did I EVER stand this?"

I hate to admit it but....

Highlander (the TV show)

I remember that show being so cool and I tried to re-watch it...couldn't make it past a couple of episodes.

Same with Power Rangers - but I didn't expect that to hold up haha.