Tuning and head question.

Herzeleid

Hey guys, how can I tune my Yamaha 14x7 Nouveau Brass snare to sound like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xid0EnsgJB0 (Not interested in the cymbal jut the style of drumming and the sound haha)

Also is there a way I can get my toms to have a similar sound, though I'm pretty sure that set Pewie is using is a Yamaha Maple Custom absolute.

Will a Remo Emperor be good with a 14x7 snare?

Sounds to me like he has the snare batter medium tight. Not cranked but definitely tight enough where you cant make out any flap.

The snare side is probably a bit lower than the top since it's a much more shell toned attack and less crisp. I could be wrong about that. If so, try bringing your snare side to the same tension as the top and detune one lug on each side of the snare strainer and butt.

I couldnt tell you which head that is, but I'm going to assume it's a stock Ambassador. Two plies work great as snare batters on some drums, especially if you're looking to focus the attack more.

I have seen, in the comment section of one of MDS' videos, a discussion about their snare tuning. In it, they said they tune the bottom head quite tight and leave it alone, then just change the tension of the top head, which is a coated Ambassador or stock equivalent. (This was a snare drum demo, BTW, not a cymbal demo.)

I would bet that's the way this drum is tuned, too. You should be able to get pretty close with your Yamaha. The nuances will be different, but the overall sound can be similar.

I have seen, in the comment section of one of MDS' videos, a discussion about their snare tuning. In it, they said they tune the bottom head quite tight and leave it alone, then just change the tension of the top head, which is a coated Ambassador or stock equivalent. (This was a snare drum demo, BTW, not a cymbal demo.)

I would bet that's the way this drum is tuned, too. You should be able to get pretty close with your Yamaha. The nuances will be different, but the overall sound can be similar.

I think the typical MDS snare demo turnings sound like they have not-cranked resos. They always sound quite dull to me.

Emperors are very popular on 14 x 6.5 snares, so they should work well on a 14 x 7.

I've recently tried the Emperor Suede on my aluminium supra, which gives a slightly less 'scratchy' sound than coated. But I might go back to a regular coated emperor next time.

Back