Trigger building

rob85

I have the Roland td3 kit. I want to use some of the sounds of the module. Does anyone know how to make triggers that I can attach to my real kit, because it will be a mess to have to set up all the pads for gigs.
I know I could just buy them, but that would be no fun, I want to make them with transducers and wires and sockets etc. So yeah, please if you know, let me know. Thanks

Its relatively simple to build triggers themselves, but its still a production to run all the cables into a midi I/O and map everything through your corresponding DAW. If you are willing to build your own though, I suppose you know enough to figure the mapping part out as well.

Basically you need a piezo transducer. You can buy them at radio shack (or a hardware store) for like $3, or strip them from any number of things like doorbells or video game controllers... You'll need a 1/4 input (like you use for guitars or amps etc...). Splice that onto your piezo, and then it is basically a function of building the trigger around the transducer. You can use any combination of foam or padding. The piezo is what triggers the signal. If you do a google search for "DIY Drum Triggers" or youtube it, you'll find tons of free info. A picture is worth a thousand words when it comes to these types of projects.

Back