Trade 2019 Gretsch USA Custom for 2018 Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple?

Brandtwi

There is a guy that wants to trade me his 6 pc 2018 Yamaha Hybrid Maple drums for my 6 pc 2019 Gretsch USA Custom. Would u consider this a fair trade? When did Yamaha last upgrade the Hybrid Maple? Is 2018 the latest version of the Hybrid Maple? Thanks

I own both a USA Custom and a Hybrid Maple setup.

They are entirely different drums and your "fair trade" question can only be answered by you from the perspective of choice in sound and perhaps hardware - lug styles (hooks for Yamaha) and tom mounts.

Are the drums all of the same sizes, including the bass drum?

Both sets are pro-level - both sets offer something a little different, which is why I own them both.

I own both also and dmacc is correct, they are two completely different animals of high end drums. One modern and contemporary, the other traditional / classic.
The question of is it a fair trade? My answer would be yes, but you should absolutely play the hybrids to see if that’s the style, sound and feel you want.

To my knowledge the hybrids have not seen any upgrades since they were introduced and I really don’t see how they could improve on them. They are spectacular modern drums.
Gretsch USA....same, how could you improve on something so seemingly perfect already.
I think Gretsch is making some of their best drums these days.

For the love of god, don't trade a USA Custom for a Hybrid Maple! Unless there's something about the USA's you really don't like (i.e. sizes, color, etc.), seriously, do NOT trade it! It'd be like trading an S Class AMG Mercedes for a Volvo (I mean, there's nothing wrong with Volvos, but compared to an S Class AMG? C'mon!)

Reactions: TJK
Both sound great. Do you like the hardware design of the Yammies? Do you love its color/finish?

This looks like a case of Grass is Greener Syndrome.

Keep your USA Customs! (Unless there's something you really don't like about them, of course)

You know, I probably agree with keep the USA’s.
I really love them both for distinct musical reasons but it’s one of those “if I was deserted on an island and could only have one kit” scenarios, it would be be my Gretsch USA Custom’s.

For the love of god, don't trade a USA Custom for a Hybrid Maple! Unless there's something about the USA's you really don't like (i.e. sizes, color, etc.), seriously, do NOT trade it! It'd be like trading an S Class AMG Mercedes for a Volvo (I mean, there's nothing wrong with Volvos, but compared to an S Class AMG? C'mon!)
I think it would be more like trading a Mercedes for a BMW but I get your point. Both kits are superb.

Both are nice its but they definitely will sound different. Overall, I think USA Customs have more mojo than the Yamahas. The Yamahas are nice, but they are sort of blah to me when compared to a USA Custom. Certainly there are more USA Customs in the world than YAHM kits, but desirability of the two is vastly different. If you were ever in a pinch for money the USA Customs could get sold in a day or two, the Yamahas could sit for months looking for the right buyer. I hate to bring it down to which is more valuable and desirable, but that's a reality of the world we live in.

I agree with all of y'all - I think being locked up at home because of coronavirus is starting to get to me. I do like the Hybrid Maple kit but I love my USA Customs & I'm keeping them till I die. Sorry guys & thanks for talking some sense back in me. Y'all are the greatest!

The Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple drums are higher quality, without a doubt, but those hook lugs would drive me crazy.

Uh the gretsch usa customs are a lifetime drum set if there ever was one.

Yeah, I think I'm in the "they're both great, but the Gretsch kit is more special" camp also. I'd advise you to only trade if: 1. The Yamaha kit gives the sound you need for the music you play more than the Gretsch kit does, and/or 2. You like the Yamaha finish more and/or dislike your Gretsch finish, and feel everything else (besides #1) is equal.

My USA Customs are the Natural Lacquer finish & they are absolutely beautiful in my opinion. The Hybrid Maple kit is Piano Black. The Hybrid Maple kit does have sizes I like (20" & 22" bass drums, 14 & 16" Floor Toms, with 10 & 12" Mounted Toms = very versatile sizes). My Gretsch is 22" bass drum, 16" fl tom, 10, 12, & 13 Mounted Toms & 14" snare. The snare is one of the best snares I've ever played - the die cast hoops give great rim shots & its sensitivity makes my rolls sound better than usual. The die cast hoops make it real heavy so I don't usually take it on gigs. I would love to have a 14" floor tom & a 20" bass drum, but they are too expensive. If you don't buy drums in a set the shop already has, they want an outrageous amount of money for them.
Again...thanks for helping me.

I'll be the odd one out and go for the Yamaha. It has your preferred sizes and an extra kick. I also prefer Yamaha's hardware and mounting. And it's piano black? C'mon.

In a situation like yours, I always find myself asking why I purchased a set of drums to begin with (?). Especially when they are a very new purchase. Have you played them to their full potential (i.e. giged them, recorded them, tried different musical settings, head combinations). Perhaps that's why my oldest set is thirty-two years old, and my "newest" is just over twelve years old. My N&C Classic
SS and I just celebrated our thirtieth anniversary together. I bought it, because I was looking for a "keeper" that had a sound I loved, and would love into the future. Perhaps spend some of this shut-in time getting better acquainted with those beautiful Gretsch drums. All good relationships take time, patience, and commitment. That includes the ones with our musical instruments.

In a situation like yours, I always find myself asking why I purchased a set of drums to begin with (?). .

I bought them because I got a super low price ($2500 for 6 pc USA Custom) and because they have been one of my "dream kits" for many years. They were ordered by someone ( I guess?) but were damaged while being shipped (one tension rod bent & front hoop cracked). I changed the tension rod & the cracked hoop is hardly noticeable & doesn't seem to affect the sound in any way.

Actually, I didn't know they were damaged when I bought them & wondered why they were so cheap. But I thought GC was obligated to tell me if they were selling me something damaged and nowhere in the ad did it say there was a problem with the kit. Anyway, that is how I ended up with owning a new 6 pc USA Custom kit. I do like the color & the size selection. I'm just playing more jazz lately & a 20" kick & 14" fl tom would be cool.

Back