Todd Sucherman here!

Totally comfortable behind a four piece with a crash and ride. Done 1000 gigs that way in the old days. Have a four piece set up in my studio, jazz kit with an 18" bass drum. I probably spend more time on that than the big rig.
Cheers,
TS

Hi Todd
I,m impressed with the size of your kit, plain and simple. I would be lost behind it for sure, only because I'm a "club drummer" having done hotels and small clubs for 45 years in the old days.
My question; would you feel ok playing behind a 4 or 5 pc kit and 2 or 3 cymbals, or would your balance be out of wack?..I know your show needs the massive kit for the visual, and as good a drummer as you are, I was curious if a small kit would work for you?

Continued success.
Check out Todd's DVDs, he actually plays the small kit he mentioned several times - and he plays it as impressive as the big one :)!

Hi Todd,

Just watched your Drumeo clinic on youtube. I just wanted to tell you I really enjoyed it. Putting your unbelievable skills aside, your down to earth approach to drumming and reaching out to us weekend warriors is very inspiring.

I'm 63 now and have been playing since I was 14. I still keep very active playing gigs and I really try to improve my drumming as best I can with the time I have to practice. Your little tips, getting back to basics, 16th note hihat technique are just a couple of things that inspire me and are also things that really make a difference in my playing which carries over the the bands overall sound. It is noticed by some of the players I work with which gives me a good feeling about my playing.

Like you said in the video about some students, I tried running too fast before walking when I was a young player, It wasn't until I was older that I had to step back and revaluate my playing by recording myself. WOW, what was I thinking?

Thanks for all that you give.

2B

Last edited:
Hi Todd,

Fantastic lesson on Drumeo. And judging from all the comments underneath on YouTube, it clearly struck a chord.

I've got M&M I and II, and Modern Drummer Festival 2008, so wasn't surprised as I've learned so much from those DVDs.

Also a wonderful solo at the end - which is worth repeated watches and study.

Thanks for the inspiration.

I would like to chime in as well. I watched your Drumeo lesson too and it was one of the few lessons they have on Youtube that I could enjoy in its entirety (I mean it). It was a joy to watch you play and try to soak in every piece of advice you had for other drummers, of all levels.

You have my heartfelt thanks.

Hi there, Todd:
I just wanted to tell you that your lesson in Drumeo was one of the best ( if not the best) on that channel.

Would you do me a favor and say hi to my fellow drummers of the spanish facebook page Batacas? They gonna love it !

Cheers and God bless.

Hey Guys,

The new Styx record, “The Mission” was released on Friday and we are all very excited about it! It’s an analog recording (to 2” tape) and has a great vintage vibe with bits of prog here and there. I re recorded “The Red Storm” at home here in this drum performance video….hope you guys enjoy it and check out “The Mission”…thanks!

Todd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXScvbFbmss

Hey Guys,

The new Styx record, “The Mission” was released on Friday and we are all very excited about it! It’s an analog recording (to 2” tape) and has a great vintage vibe with bits of prog here and there. I re recorded “The Red Storm” at home here in this drum performance video….hope you guys enjoy it and check out “The Mission”…thanks!

Todd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXScvbFbmss

I happened to check out the videos that Pearl posted on their Instagram of you playing The Red Storm and needless to say, it gave me a feel of Boston meets Rush a little bit but excellent drum work on that song!

Hi Todd,

First of all i love the live cam vids you post. Especially with that mix, so the drums are very present. Can really hear what's going on and is inspiring to say the least :)
Looking forward to some vids on your new 'Masters' b-rig kit!

I didn't find the question here, but i was wondering why you added the 18" floor tom? Steve Smith influence (with his nice Sonor kit) or did you use it during recording on the latest Styx release?

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words! I had actually ordered the 18" before I knew Steve was going to do what he did with his Journey kit. I was trying to convince him to add a gong drum! But it's more of a Tony thing if anything and I'd never really used an 18" before and thought it would be fun, and I'm enjoying it very much.

Thanks again and cheers from Niagara Falls, NY-
Todd

Todd, welcome to WNY!! Home to the, UGH, Buffalo Bills! I plan on seeing you guys tonight (first time ever!!!!!). Have a great show...

I had a blast!! Great venue for bands. You guys were incredible. Your drums were thunderous and awe inspiring. i felt bad for REO Speedwagon that they had to follow you. They were clearly out matched....

Do you guys (Styx and REO) take turns who " headlines"? I assumed that your band was headlining, but i saw your kit when i first got there.

Too bad the European promoters tend to ignore Styx, would love to visit a gig here some day! Indeed looks like a blast to visit, but i believe the last Styx gig in Europe was years ago. Anyway, hope to visit a clinic some day!

Mister Zero—

Yes, we closed half of the tour and they closed half. It’s a co-headline “flip flop” as they call it.

iCe-

Sadly that’s partially true. The other half is that the offers are so low, that it’s a money losing proposition for us to go. We aren’t exactly “hungry 20 year olds” meaning we eat good food (not garage) and stay in nice places. That costs a lot of money in Europe. But I hope we get back there before too long…as it’s been way too long!

Cheers,
TS

Todd! Glad for all your accomplishments and work so far!

In the Red Storm video, do you mind sharing what Sabian cymbals you are using around the kit here in your home studio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XNRPB53cKs&t=119

Also if you know where you get those bookshelf-like cubbies for storing all your snares like that in the background? I vaguely remember IKEA had something similar to that but last I went in their store they don't have that style anymore!

Back