Today in Musical History

One of the best thread topics EVER!

I'm pissed at myself for not thinking of it myself.

Bad Larry Bad Larry!
Actually it is a great thread that simply needed someone like @MrInsanePolack to instigate but there’s infinite landscape to traverse here

Sept 19th 1997:

Auto Tune hits the market
Is that a thing? My 1980’s pioneer receiver doesn’t understand digital, and I’m so happy about it. It’s 100% tube manual bliss, I love the warmth and smell of the system as it heats up while the vinyl spins away.
Video killed the radio star.

Sept 19th 1997:

Auto Tune hits the market
Speaking of Auto-tune, I just started watching on Netflix 'This Is Pop'. First episode is all things auto-tune. Can't stand auto-tune, but that did not prevent me from really enjoying the history. Very interested of the other episodes.

Speaking of Auto-tune, I just started watching on Netflix 'This Is Pop'. First episode is all things auto-tune. Can't stand auto-tune, but that did not prevent me from really enjoying the history. Very interested of the other episodes.

There's a great series on Apple TV+ that also has an episode about it. "Watch the Sound with Mark Ronson"

September 20

Jim Morrison is found guilty of "open profanity and indecent exposure" in Miami after allegedly exposing himself on stage in 1969.

Paul and Linda McCartney are arrested a second time for cannabis after police find it growing on their farm.

20 Sep 1968
Led Zeppelin records their debut album.
20 Sep 1969
John Lennon informs the Beatles he's leaving the group.

Sept 19th 1974 - Max Weinberg made his debut as the drummer for Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band.

Cancer hits music scene.
Yes indeed

September 21

Jimi Hendrix Experience releases their version of "All Along the Watchtower". This version will go on to confuse drummers everywhere who cant find the 1.

Meatloaf releases "Bat Out of Hell". It goes on to be one of the greatest selling albums of all time, having sold over 43 million copies worldwide. Without it, this gem would not exist:

Meat loaf was late 70s I was thinking he was 80s. Music back in 70-80s period was crazy and hugely diverse really with pop, country, rock, R&B, punk, reggae, etc-well in reality it was not so much on radio . I just never understood how disco fit in there during that period. I just hated it then, but all my friends were going to disco bars so I'd go too. It's probably why I started drinking too much ROFL. You have to squeeze them really really hard to reach those falsetto notes The Bee Gees were hitting. It's like scat-one or two songs great but after a bit it just grates my nerves.

Sept 22nd

1962 - Bob Dylan made his first appearance at Carnegie Hall.

1972 - David Bowie began his first U.S. tour with the Spiders from Mars.

Last edited:
You have to squeeze them really really hard to reach those falsetto notes The Bee Gees were hitting.
:ROFLMAO: Yes but Frankie Valli had Sherry to squeeze his.
It's like scat-one or two songs great but after a bit it just grates my nerves.
Which two songs? :unsure: Seriously, not sure if you have listened recently to Saturday Night Fever, but I bet you might find a few songs that wouldn’t have you wanting to burst your eardrums. Although technically they are not all disco. I am with you about hating it back in the 70’s-80’s. I remember going to The Limelight in Buckhead with the music pounding so loud it would move your hair. It’s now a Kroger affectionately known as the Disco Kroger with a mural on the end of the building commemorating the former discotheque.

Attachments

• 749350AD-96B2-4EDF-9FB1-F0FF6E6F6068.jpeg
    749350AD-96B2-4EDF-9FB1-F0FF6E6F6068.jpeg
    779.1 KB · Views: 1
Farm Aid, the brainchild of Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, and Neil Young, had its first annual concert at Memorial Stadium in Champaign, Illinois for a crowd of 80,000. It raised $9 million for farmers.

23 September 1966 - The Rolling Stones
The 'Rolling Stones 66' 12 date UK tour kicked off at the Royal Albert Hall London. Supported by Long John Baldry, Ike & Tina Turner and The Yardbirds, (Jimmy Page was playing bass, with Jeff Beck on guitar). Michelangelo Antonioni attended this concert and asked The Yardbirds to appear in his forthcoming film Blow Up. Also both Keith Moon and John Entwistle from The Who were in the audience.

Sept. 23
Births
  • 1949 Bruce Springsteen​

American singer-songwriter, guitarist
  • 1930 Ray Charles​

American singer-songwriter, pianist, actor
  • 1926 John Coltrane​

American saxophonist, composer

24th September:

1982 - Prince's "1999" single was released.
This song would go on to played every five minutes on radio stations everywhere 17 years later

1991 - Nirvana's album "Nevermind" was released.
We'll put a baby on the cover- what could possibly go wrong??

2013 - The Metallica album "Metallica Through the Never" was released. It was the soundtrack album for the film of the same name.
Lars is shocked that the movie lost money when released to general audiences

Back