Managing practice time with more than one instrument?

JJKK

Started guitar practice recently to create my own riffs and songs eventually, but I have no idea how to divide time between the drums and guitar. I get fatigued by practicing both, but drums are so physical and coordination intensive I noticed I put much more time into guitar now.

I'm not giving up drums but I don't have a system in place yet on how to practice both. Anyone in a similar situation?

Depends on how badly you want to master both. Both take time and dedication to master. Not an easy answer for us because we don’t know how far along you are with either or how much time a day you can spend playing.

I play drums constantly. It's my main musical focus. I play other things too, but only as I feel like it. In no way do I expect, or even want, to play another instrument at the same level as I do drums.

That being said, I have song and scale books and do take time to try to learn when I do play them.

Pick one to learn, to make your main focus. Use the other one to supplement your learning. It's going to be very hard to learn and progress two very different musical instruments equally from start.

Imagine being frustrated with both paradiddles and a minor scale at the same time. No thank you.

A lot of time 😁
Excellent!
I recommend 2 hours on guitar, then a 15 minute break, then 2 hours on drums, then eat, then play guitar until you pass out. I think that meets your general requirements?
Guitar and drums are both percussion instruments, if you didn't already know. Lots of crossover between them in various ways. Playing guitar will make you a better drummer, just as playing drums gives you a head start on playing guitar.

A lot of time 😁
If this is true then you are already ahead of most cats who wish they could multi-instrument. I've also had a lot of time to shed, for several years now. I always knew I wanted to play another instrument, I figured that keyboard would be the least tedious to cross-over from drums. I did spend several years choosing not to get a keyboard until I was properly "arrived" at my drumming technique.

Eventually I got a little Juno DS and started practicing scales and writing bass lines for my jazz, funk, and hiphop grooves. The keyboard pretty quickly worked itself into my practice routine. It really helps if you are already solid enough at drumming to know what style(s) you want to play on your other instrument(s). For me the synthesizer has been great because I can record walking bass lines for my already jazz drumming. I can write heavy rhythm guitar synthesizer riffs to play heavy metal beats to. I still practice the piano scales, it's important to me to have strong technique. But I'm not even worried about complex melody/theory/song writing ATM, as most of my keyboard time is being devoted to supplementing rhythm section stuff I'm already doing on the drums.

I have thought about getting an electric guitar, but only recently, since getting into djent and nu-numetal. I would prolly get a seven or eight string and only play chuggy, weird djent stuff. I really do enjoy writing funky metal rhythm guitar riffs, my synthesizer has a couple very decent modern metal sounding distortion guitars. But for more complex guitar stuff I might end up doing it with a DAW program instead of an actual guitar. Some of my favorite djent drummers write their own DAW guitar tracks and the mix is fire.

In addition to the keyboard playing, about 2 1/2 years ago I started practicing singing. I never really intended on learning how to sing, it was like a part of my soul that really wanted to express clean melodies took over and made me get to work. My synthesizer helped me figure out my range and to work on being accurate, pulling notes 'out of the air'. The singing has taken on a life of its own and I'm really enjoying the process. I never know when I'm going to do my singing practice. I just know it's kind of like the way I exercise. It's not on a schedule but I know instinctively I have to do it rigorously, at least once every two days or there will likely be no gains.

Interestingly the most important thing I did to make my keyboard practice way less tedious was just to raise my keyboard stand up so I could walk up to the keyboard to play. It was such a simple thing but a huge game changer. I initially had the keyboard set up all precious with a little bench seat and a music stand. I barely touched it when I had to go sit down in a nook to play, and then scoot out every time I wanted to walk to my V-kit. Having the keyboard up at waist height means I can walk up, practice, record, walk away, repeat. Without all the extra steps and emotional stress of being obliged to "go sit down" to practice.

Last edited:
I don't know about guitar, but I double on trumpet. The plan was to help learn some melodies and forms. Learn to read a lead sheet etc. Trumpet was a pain though.

The thing is many instruments are self limiting. Trumpet is one of these, you literally can bust your chops practising too much at before you build the technique and muscles.

Must trumpets players practice piano, as a double to solve the problem. I play drums instead. It is fun to comp the melodies though. Especially, to think through the exact placement of the notes in relation to the rhythms.

Just don't long enough between practice sessions that your muscle memory diminishes. This happens much sooner on guitar in my experience. Probably because of gross motor skills vs fine motor skills.

I’d love to do that if I didn’t have a mortgage and bills to pay. I need a wife who would do all the work to pay for our lifestyle 😉
The trick is to go for higher paying gigs, that also have a high turnover, and save money so that you can pay the mortgage for months. Like working at startups. In the tech industry it seems to be par for the course, every few years, look for a job for six months.

I don't recommend it, but it just seems to be par for the course. Like they want you sitting their filling out job applications, oftentimes they are just doing Labor Searches and there isn't even a job look up PERM searches.

The trick is to go for higher paying gigs, that also have a high turnover, and save money so that you can pay the mortgage for months. Like working at startups. In the tech industry it seems to be par for the course, every few years, look for a job for six months.

I don't recommend it, but it just seems to be par for the course. Like they want you sitting their filling out job applications, oftentimes they are just doing Labor Searches and there isn't even a job look up PERM searches.
I’m a little old school with that Disney career though. They don’t seem to want to fire me any time soon.

The numbers that the drummer uses to count with are the same ones the guitar player uses .

Its all madimatix

On drums there doesn't seem to be real noticable progress unless I do at least 3 hours to a practice session.

I can spend 8-10 hours a day learning songs on bass on the days I dedicate to it. It's not uncommon to get off one or the other, eat a snack and go off on the other.

First, you certainly need a plan for both. Have a routine and keep a log. The real routine usually starts showing up after evaluation of a short period.

With playing several "melodic" instruments I eventually resorted to practice the same concepts and not practice the same instrument every day.

Not that much overlap with guitar and drums, but general musical ability stuff, reading etc.. can be.

Learning the same song or style on both at the same time may be a good idea.

Back