Thoughts on Beginner Set

Tac3

Hey everyone.

This post is actually on the behalf of a friend looking to purchase her first drum set. She is considering buying a Tama Imperialstar drum kit. I have no firsthand experience with Tama, so I thought I'd see if anyone here has thoughts on/experience with this kit.

I understand that the Imperialstar is the lowest end kit Tama available, but she has an extremely limited budget. One added bonus is that the set does come with a free set Meinl cymbals; though they're probably crap, they are still cymbals!

Anyone know how these drums compare with other low end drums? Are they worth the price tag ($750), or will they be outgrown in a matter of months?

Thanks!

Talk her into buying a "used" kit. For $750, she could skip the beginner kit altogether, and slip into a good used "intermediate" kit with hardware and cymbals. eBay is loaded with drum deals right now. There's about 15 Tama kits listed. Any new drum set will depreciate in value as soon as you get it home. And right now, value is dropping in the 50% range. Great time to buy drums, bad time to sell.

the first kit i bought with my money is the one im still playing; pacific fs birch. it cost me $479 at a guitar center memorial day sale over 2 years ago and after a decent amount of gigging and alot of playing its still goin strong. the snare is not the best but i did play with it for over a year. i was wanting a really tight sound that i found with a 6x13 steel snare. the only really maintenance it has needed was really just a personally choice of care. i just ordered some nylon tension rod washers for the whole kit. they dont have any rust, but im starting to see some pitting.

sizes
18 x 22 kick
8 x 10
9 x 12
12 x 14
5 x 14 snare

QUOTE=Tac3;471795]Hey everyone.

This post is actually on the behalf of a friend looking to purchase her first drum set. She is considering buying a Tama Imperialstar drum kit. I have no firsthand experience with Tama, so I thought I'd see if anyone here has thoughts on/experience with this kit.

I understand that the Imperialstar is the lowest end kit Tama available, but she has an extremely limited budget. One added bonus is that the set does come with a free set Meinl cymbals; though they're probably crap, they are still cymbals!

Anyone know how these drums compare with other low end drums? Are they worth the price tag ($750), or will they be outgrown in a matter of months?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Have your friend go over and look at the kits at www.californiapercussion.com they have gretsch and ludwig and have good prices on kits that include hardware, some have cymbals and sticks as well as thrones included...on a few of their kits they have free shipping which is also a big plus so before she jumps have her check out that site as well. GOOD LUCK

This all the way.....

Attachments

• GiantKit3.jpg
    GiantKit3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 174
Talk her into buying a "used" kit. For $750, she could skip the beginner kit altogether, and slip into a good used "intermediate" kit with hardware and cymbals. eBay is loaded with drum deals right now. There's about 15 Tama kits listed. Any new drum set will depreciate in value as soon as you get it home. And right now, value is dropping in the 50% range. Great time to buy drums, bad time to sell.

I'll agree with Harry here. A new set is a false economy at the lower-end, because when you do eventually sell it up (and you will) you will lose almost all your money. On the flip side, higher-level sets often go for entry-level prices in the used market. As far as used kits go, look for a 'name' brand - for guarantees of quality most brands will offer acceptable kits, but my preferences (with regards to unfaltering quality control) are with Sonor, Yamaha, Gretsch, Pearl and Tama. Pacific make good shells, but there are sometimes hardware problems and bearing edges issues on the older kits and I've heard variable things on slightly older Ludwigs too.

At the moment, there seem to be good deals going on Gretsch Renown and Tama Superstar and Starclassic Performer kits. Sonor 2007/3007 (or any of the previous '03/'05) models are also good and there are a few beating around used for relatively little. Of that lot, the Starclassic and Renowns are killer sets - I have a particular soft spot for the Renowns.

As far as entry-level kits go, the Imperialstar is OK. Well made, not exceptional, but it is what it is and it is well made; which is the most important thing. Personally I'd look for something a little different and I've heard a number of great things about Yamaha Rydeen kits (apparently the 18" bass drum is the best for those) but I'm not sure if they're still making the Rydeen. Ideally though, you want to be looking used.

I will also agree with Harry and MFB. Used is definitely the way to go, 100%.
I bought both of my kits used and I couldn't be happier. They're both pro kits and I saved a bunch of $$ as well.

In addition to the kits MFB mentioned below, I'll also add Yamaha Stage Customs and Tour Customs. For $750, she can probably get a 5-piece of either kit, some cymbals, stands, a pedal, a throne, sticks, the kitchen sink, and a partridge in a pear tree.

I agree with the guys here. I wouldn't buy one of the cheap sets by any brand (I did so and I was wrong - I have upgraded since and it cost me quite a bit - same goes for cymbals!). try get a better set that is used, you will have much more fun.

I think everyone should start with a crappy kit, regardless of how much money you have. Then you can appreciate a better one.

Back