Thomas Pridgen drum VST plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groove Inc

TPBoxFinal_720x.png

More info here:

Has anyone bought it?

Last edited:
Awesome! So now you can harness the power of a snare drum that sounds like a basketball dribbling while simultaneously drowning the entire mix with the sound of huge cymbals being incessantly crashed and a constant overplaying of a dead thumpy bass drum!

I liked Thomas' playing, but as a famous drummer said about him 'He lost something a long the way and hopefully finds himself again.''

And his mistakes weren't that long a go, nor where they a rare outburst. Its nothing different then for instance Hillary Jones' racial outings over the years, that reached a peak last year (and rightfully so) cost her a lot.

A sad story.

Well said.

He is a talented player, yes. He also is a d-bag who overplays his horrid sounding drums and can't keep a solid paying seat.
He only overplays because that's what people (bands, musical directors, drumeo staff) want from him because Bedlam in Goliath is what made him famous. Listen to octahedron by Mars Volta, so much subtle, groove based playing in there, particularly "Since we've been wrong."

Also I think his playing will always be a hot topic simply because of the Volta. The most notable and memorable act he probably will ever be a part of has a Tool level of fan snobbery (don't worry, I'm one of them too!) so any discussion about him pretty much always turns into a "which Volta drummer is best" conversation. Atleast Theodore moved on to a bigger act and won't spend the rest of his life being referred to as "the Mars Volta's old drummer."

I agree on the bedlam aspect and I'm very familiar with octahedron as well. I also agree that he is capable of some really funky grooves (for example: that later section in the song Goliath where it breaks down to that awesome snare shuffle build up, the part where Cedric sings "I'm starting to feel a miscarriage coming on"... Insane dude, I can listen to that song over and over and over and never get tired of it) however he came from that stereotypical "gospel chops" background and the overplaying thing is not only common with that style in general but also something he was doing LONG before he ever even met Omar. Now I wouldn't be surprised if that fame did lead to more "requests" for playing like that.

My comments are a combination of opinion and fact. In my, and many other people's, opinion the way he carries himself both as a professional musician and just general person you would encounter on the street frequently comes across as a pretentious "I'm better then you and you are wasting my time" d-bag mentality. It has been commented many times that he is a drama queen in the studio, to the point of throwing full on tantrums like a child and walking out. It also is proven by his resume that the guy can't keep a (music) job. Some have argued this is just a "swagger" and a social/geographic mentality.
Mate, i'm not sure if you're into vinyl but if you are, they're re-releasing and remastering Bedlam on vinyl. I got it in the Box Set and holy effing balls, it sounds completely different. Its still the same record but it's so much less grating to listen to. I highly recommend picking it up. (I still maintain that the second half of that album is horrendous, but everything up to and including Goliath are great)

Edit - Also, don't get me started about Jon Theodore. That guy is godlike. I was so disappointed with that QOTSA album when he is basically playing quantised 4/4 beats with no life. Such a waste of talent.

Mate, i'm not sure if you're into vinyl but if you are, they're re-releasing and remastering Bedlam on vinyl. I got it in the Box Set and holy effing balls, it sounds completely different. Its still the same record but it's so much less grating to listen to. I highly recommend picking it up. (I still maintain that the second half of that album is horrendous, but everything up to and including Goliath are great)

Edit - Also, don't get me started about Jon Theodore. That guy is godlike. I was so disappointed with that QOTSA album when he is basically playing quantised 4/4 beats with no life. Such a waste of talent.

Same page 100% across the board

I only knew him as the cool cowbell beat guy and now all this!. He plays the he'll out of the 24 medium ride on YouTube. Shit..i didn't want him to be the bad guy damn it.

Thomas lays down an awesomely smoking smooth groove throughout Christian Scott's Rewind That album from 2006.
There's more that he's great on, but I'm not going to go crazy listing out his album credits. Judging him on Volta is a tiny fraction of what he brings to the drum kit.

Thomas lays down an awesomely smoking smooth groove throughout Christian Scott's Rewind That album from 2006.
There's more that he's great on, but I'm not going to go crazy listing out his album credits. Judging him on Volta is a tiny fraction of what he brings to the drum kit.
I'll check this album out today, thanks for sharing!

Random observation: I dove into Thomas Pridgen's discography and watched a video by a band he is (was?) in called Trash Talk. The video I watched, dated 2019, happened to have Joey Castillo playing drums. It's interesting that Jon Theodore played in the Volta then later joined QOTSA shortly after Joey Castillo's departure, Thomas Pridgen played in the Volta shortly after Jon (with Blake making a brief return in between) and had a side piece (Trash Talk) for which Joey Castillo appears to have joined... Shortly after leaving QOTSA. Is Kevin Bacon involved somewhere here as well? LoL

@danondrums I'll give you this, this one is pretty awesome:

It is a little busy but the whole band is so it's not out of place. It is a bit more subdued then the work with Volta he would be doing shortly after this. It's very interesting to me that it kinda vibes like "bedlam-light" lol. Almost like Omar listened to that album and said "ok, I'm going to take that drummer and make my own version of that album and get Cedric to sing nonsense over it" haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back