Thomas Pridgen drum VST plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

organworthyplayer337

I don't know what the drama is about. Haven't heard of him, either. I watched the video, nice playing and his tone didn't sound bad at all. The comments on this thread about his playing/tone just go to show how one's perception of somebody makes them incredibly biased against that person. Even for things completely unrelated.

A little less forgivingness, rationality, and understanding is just what we need in the world (sarcasm).

Plus, I'm sure that the OP wanted this discussion instead of talk about the product/software. (also sarcasm).

roncadillac

I don't know what the drama is about. Haven't heard of him, either. I watched the video, nice playing and his tone didn't sound bad at all. The comments on this thread about his playing/tone just go to show how one's perception of somebody makes them incredibly biased against that person. Even for things completely unrelated.

A little less forgivingness, rationality, and understanding is just what we need in the world (sarcasm).

Plus, I'm sure that the OP wanted this discussion instead of talk about the product/software. (also sarcasm).
Well said (even though I am guilty of some of the comments that have caused this thread's slight derail). On the topic of the plugin... Putting everything else discussed previously aside, I don't personally see anything "iconic enough" about the sound of his kit to warrant a separate plug in. The "magic", if you will, in his playing is HIS playing and not really the sound of his kit. And I know this is essentially the "player, not the gear" argument but the point I'm getting at is moreso that there have been drummers who's iconic sound warrants a plugin to emulate that sound. Your typical person buying and/our using a plugin like that won't typically be utilizing it for much more then simple time keeping on a basic track or a drummer who wants to expand kit voices on a module.

Bozozoid

@danondrums I'll give you this, this one is pretty awesome:

It is a little busy but the whole band is so it's not out of place. It is a bit more subdued then the work with Volta he would be doing shortly after this. It's very interesting to me that it kinda vibes like "bedlam-light" lol. Almost like Omar listened to that album and said "ok, I'm going to take that drummer and make my own version of that album and get Cedric to sing nonsense over it" haha.
It's one thing to understand the music and react to it...but another thing to get (inside) of it reacting from the Carlock perspective. I think pridjens perspective is a Tony Williams approach...almost..kinda..sorta..maybe.

danondrums

Exhibit A:
You have accurately located the turning point in music culture.
I'm a huge Frank Zappa fan and am very familiar with all that went down.
Sadly, the PC police won.

This thread is about a piece of software and I was disappointed to see it turned into a trash talk fest.
I've stated my position and am moving on.
Thomas is a great drummer, with great tone and I'm sure the software will be of interest to some.

The fact that you think OJ was innocent because he was acquitted in the criminal trial while you ignore that he was found guilty in the civil trial is a pretty solid example of cognitive dissonance. Moving on now.

Last edited:

danondrums

@danondrums I'll give you this, this one is pretty awesome:

It is a little busy but the whole band is so it's not out of place. It is a bit more subdued then the work with Volta he would be doing shortly after this. It's very interesting to me that it kinda vibes like "bedlam-light" lol. Almost like Omar listened to that album and said "ok, I'm going to take that drummer and make my own version of that album and get Cedric to sing nonsense over it" haha.
I'd never seen that video. Thanks for sharing. I just have the album.
I do enjoy the combo of fusion, funk and jazz and find Thomas's playing interesting, creative and funky.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Pridgen is an awesome drummer-I don't know what kind of human being he is-other than he is human so much like all of us has made some mistakes I'd wager. Heck I found I had a felony charge against me for over thirty years back in 2008. Freaked me out-I was like what, how??-calling lawyers, police, judges, etc took me close to a year to get it off my public recored-but not expunged. I was told it was a misdemeanor for weed possession, but never went to court. I don't see how after getting multiple traffic tickets over the years or jury duty would have exposed me if the case before 31 frigging years. I was told by a security person at a college I was applying for a position-he was looking at my CV and then this criminal record wondering what himself??

danondrums

The fact that getagrippa is assuming Pridgen did something that put him in jail is exactly the point I was trying to make in the danger of the hyperbole used in this thread. Dude's never been to jail as far as I know (perhaps a weed related misdemeanor, but I'm not stalking him so I really don't know.)

I know he used to be super accessible on social media and I had some great chats with him on facebook. We had some similar viewpoints on the world and also a propensity to speak our minds, even if it offended people. Unfortunately as his audience got more wide, I could see people writing some nasty retorts and people ganging up on him. Eventually he had to withdraw from being so accessible and that was that.

I appreciate getagrippa's post above a lot and it really highlights how much progress we're losing as a species as so much good data has become politicized and deemed to be unspoken and never discussed due to how easily people are offended. The complicated topics in life take a lot more than a few minutes to understand and that we demonize people just for their expression of their opinion is a sad reflection of how truly intolerant of a society that we are. The quest to be protected from being offended by forcing others to shut up rather than working on our own shortcomings is not a good path.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
There is a big space between getting to jail for something and being a nasty person.

And in that space whatever you say can still be very hurtful to others.

Also being hurt yourself, isn’t an excuse to hurt others.

And that has nothing to do with people speaking up (you call it intolorant) more agains racism, sexism, bigotry and other things these days.

someguy01

If it weren't for DW I would never have known that being racist, xenophobic, or in general intolerant was simply an expression of opinion and nothing more. I will make sure to inform all my friends and relatives of color that they should just let it go, it's just an opinion and hasn't led to centuries of systemic oppression. I'll post it at the mosque as well, they will also want this wonderous piece of knowledge.

Thanks DW, yet another nugget of pure wisdom that had previously eluded me!

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
And with that, check the software if you wish, and save the social criticisms for ABC News forum. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.