Thomas Lang Sticks

Zord

Hello everyone!

What can you guys tell me about the Thomas Lang drumsticks? Are they TOO big? Do they work for most types of music?

Thinking of snagging a pair and trying them out.

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

What can you guys tell me about the Thomas Lang drumsticks? Are they TOO big? Do they work for most types of music?

Thanks!

Too big? Depends on the person. I wouldn't think they would work for most types of music though since they are pretty darn thick (thicker than 2Bs). I couldn't imagine playing singer songwriter stuff or jazz with it. I would think it would be pretty much just for harder styles or at least when you want to be loud.

They're basically marching sticks, so no, they will not work for most things.

I got a pair of them and I use them for practicing on the pad. On the kit however it becomes quite hard to play since they are heavy and are just loud. Could work for some forms of not-so-fast rock like RAM Killing in the Name. Can't think of any more applications...

In short, great practice sticks to improve stick control and rebound. Not really applicable on the kit.

I would say anything where you hit at Forte would be fine for the sticks. I use them when I play on Roland v20s.

I play with these & love them. I was surprised how fast I got used to the weight & I found it took little effort to get the volume out of the kit. Sort of a "let the tool do the work" concept.

The thickness makes them pretty hard to break too. I usually splinter the tip on wood tip models & these just don't do that. Great for practice pad work as well.

Hello everyone!

Thanks!
I honestly think they’re awesome, try a pair, they’re more versatile than you think! (y)

I have rsi and find the thicker sticks mean you can play with a lighter, looser grip. The weight does a lot of the work so you can play through a wide dynamic range with little effort. If you want to play quietly you can, but it needs more control than you might want to use (it’s less the weight if the stick, more the size of the tip) with lighter sticks and a smaller tip you’ll feel freer playing at low volume.

I believe they are a modified 2B stick with a white lacquered slapped on. TL explained in a vid (believe it's the one where he explains his sig stick) that a heavier stick is easier to control. Wanted to try that, but found the price of his sig stick too high and ended up getting the regular 2B's from VF. I really like the feel, response and rebound, but like stated above; the downside is that due to the weight playing softer is harder. I also found that these sticks chocked my drums too much because of all the energy being transferred from all that mass and energy in the stick. Plus side is that i could let physics do it's thing. Took very little effort to get the sticks in motion and once they were it was easy to control them.

I'm curious if anyone has weighed these? The Vic Firth site gives the diameter & length, but no weight is listed.
This makes comparison shopping difficult if you want a similar feel with maybe different tip options.

A UK site selling them has them listed at 70g, but I don't know if that's legit.

Back