This Silly Snare......

River19

........it just works better than it should.

I normally try to avoid posting day in day out minutiae akin to "I pooped today" but........

As some of you recall I picked up this rewrapped older Ludwig snare a month or so ago to add to the stack of options. Since then, I have found it works well for the niche I imagined, the classic Motown mellow thing. I recorded a couple blues tunes with it shortly after getting it and was impressed with how it just sat nicely in the mix and sounded much bigger and fatter than it really is.

Today, I had a basic country rock tune with a female vocal I wanted to lay a track to. The new Noble & Cooley Alloy was on the kit so I tried it.....dead center hits sounded "good", trying to avoid the rimshot (which I play 90% of the time) but it wasn't doing "the thing" I wanted without going through a re-tune etc.

Swapped out for this silly little drum, checked the fundamental frequency was in the range I noted in my notebook and "boom" recorded the track in one take and this silly thing just sat perfectly in the mix without much EQ........just really "inoffensive" and almost "polite" in how it's fat tone without a heavy "crack" just worked. For a track with layered female vocals and harmonies along with a twangy guitar solo I wanted my snare to stay out of that higher range and sit fat in the middle. Stupid $200 Ludwig orphan just worked perfectly again........

It just works and does "the thing".

IMG_2819.jpeg

IMG_2822.jpeg

jda

Gold Member
new lists for I think $567
(if you could get 6L and at No Price can you get the brass hoops it has
(Ludwig Legacy mahogany 8L 5/14

River19

new lists for I think $567
(if you could get 6L and at No Price can you get the brass hoops it has
(Ludwig Legacy mahogany 8L 5/14

This thing I have is "old".....shell is probably late 50s 3 ply mahogany/poplar/mahogany with 1" maple re-rings. Been re-wrapped at some point and a more modern throw-off added. Something magical about that old shell though. The fundamental note of the shell is LOW.....which is why it is magical for certain tunes where you want a fat snare sound that sits well in the middle of the mix.

Last edited:

cbphoto

Diamond Member
Must be that poplar wood, eh?

River19

Ludwig wood shell snares seem to take a back seat to their revered metal shell snares . I happen to love the Ludwig wood shell snares , especially the Jazzfest (Barret Deems ) and the Classic Maple exotic snares . I also have a preference for 5” and 5.5” deep snares . The one pictured below is my personal favourite ( Classic Maple with Birdseye inner and outer veneers ). View attachment 119560

Rick I think the one I have is a Deems 5" shell then re-wrapped and with a more modern throw-off etc. The interior matches what I know of a Deems and the sonic profile also matches what I have read about (ie. lower fundamental pitch, high tunings choke it etc.).

criz p. critter

Silver Member
This thing I have is "old".....shell is probably late 50s 3 ply mahogany/poplar/mahogany with 1" maple re-rings. Been re-wrapped at some point and a more modern throw-off added. Something magical about that old shell though. The fundamental note of the shell is LOW.....which is why it is magical for certain tunes where you want a fat snare sound that sits well in the middle of the mix.
You're kind of making fun of that "silly" snare, but I think you are maybe exaggerating for effect? Because you clearly appreciate its magic. "You can't judge a book by its cover" is a well-worn cliche because it's so damn true. You've been touched by the wonder of The Little Snare Drum That Could. The Meek shall inherit the Session. If you're the best and brightest, there's no need to be flashy and show off.

I too have one of those. Exactly like the sound you described. Kind of a Motown soul or funky thang. Mine's a Premier Olympic, early 70s, 3-ply african mahogany, 6-lug little kick-ass muthafudga. This pic was from Ebay when I bought it. I've since cleaned it up and added a INDe throwoff and butt. I was using a bit of cloth to muffle the batter, until recently I put a Snareweight m80 on it. Pure magic...

Attachments

• IMAG6250.jpg
    IMAG6250.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 4

criz p. critter

Silver Member
That is a beautiful little snare, by the way... albeit "silly".

Oh, and did I mention? I pooped today!

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Maybe we should just start hyping snares made from pressure treated pine?......... lol

"Behold, my latest Pressure Treated #2 Yellow Pine Snare with a custom Luan wrap with Formica inlay......I call it a Crapiotto"
Love this!! Now I need to figure out how to make this a reality & do a badge for it. Giving you full credit of course. ;)

wraub

Gold Member
My main snare drum for a while now has been a lowly Ludwig wood snare drum, a Club Date SE 6.5x14. It definitely has something my other snare drums don't, not sure if it's the shell, the bearing edges, or ? but it just does what it does so well. "Fat tone without a heavy "crack"' sums it up pretty well I'd say.

Nothing wrong with being silly sometimes. :D

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Ludwig wood shell snares seem to take a back seat to their revered metal shell snares . I happen to love the Ludwig wood shell snares , especially the Jazzfest (Barret Deems ) and the Classic Maple exotic snares . I also have a preference for 5” and 5.5” deep snares . The one pictured below is my personal favourite ( Classic Maple with Birdseye inner and outer veneers ). View attachment 119560
After playing quite a few metal shell snares lately, I have pretty much zero desire to play anything but the world’s greatest snare. Wood shell Ludwig is my sound.