This Is Why I Cringe When Someone Says They Want To do A Pink Floyd Song

My own opinion and not the gospel.

This song is probably now the most covered Floyd song and I have yet to play in a band that covers it properly.
At least this fellow knows the lyrics and he was doing his best so I am not knocking anyone in this band and quite likely this was thrown together quickly.
But kids; leave those Floyd songs alone.

A truly crass and horrible song which deserves every p***poor cover it gets, frankly.

Sounds like they positioned the only mic they had available right next to that awful ride.

I definitely do think there’s some songs that should never ever be attempted as a cover, they’re just too iconic. U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name is an example. I’ve never heard a good version as the vocal is so strong and such a unique guitar sound. Always going to sound like bad karaoke in a pub or small club environment.

I gotta say those guys have quite a bit of moxie though, going live with that. Either they’re that bad and don’t know it’s that bad, or they’re so good they meant to do it that way as a joke. Most likely the former.

I gotta say those guys have quite a bit of moxie though, going live with that. Either they’re that bad and don’t know it’s that bad, or they’re so good they meant to do it that way as a joke. Most likely the former.

Bo please tell me you do some Floyd in your OMB. You can play, you can sing, you dont have to worry about crappy string players doing it wrong.

Bo please tell me you do some Floyd in your OMB. You can play, you can sing, you dont have to worry about crappy string players doing it wrong.
A friend of mine mentioned I should do some Floyd. I suppose I could. I’m not sure why every one attempts “Comfortably Numb” though. It’s not a favorite of mine. If I attempted a mid-tempo one, I’d go for “Us and Them”

Some bands are harder than others to get the same "feel". Zepp comes to mind. It's easy to play the same notes in the same order, much harder to get the same playing feel as Bonham and the boys, though.

I've heard some of the best rock drummers in the world get Bonham's bass drumming in particular just all wrong. Some sound too robotic, others too weak. Guitarists also rarely sound anything like Page, however skilled they may be. His famous brilliantly "sloppy" playing is really hard to duplicate.

Agreed, same with Ringo, and Keith Moon. But it's still possible to do great covers of those bands, even if they're just 99% 'there'. Nobody in the audience is going to leave because With A Little Help doesn't have exactly the same lilt as the Beatles' track.

Bermuda

I think with the Beatles and Who, people really just want to hear the songs. With Pink Floyd the unique sound is a huge part of the attraction.

Most Beatles songs - particularly any of the rockers - aren't hard to make sound authentic. But shuffles, like With A Little Help and Penny Lane, have that Ringo touch that's hard to duplicate. Ticket To Ride is a bit tricky, even to hear Ringo himself explain it. And the fills in Rain... good luck!

Bermuda

Not to mention Paul McCartney’s bass line (re: Rain). Wow. You might get the notes right but that’s all about the feel.

Pete

Am I the only person who doesn’t like Pink Floyd? Also, Zeppelin suuuucks. That’s all. Carry on. Nothing to see here.

Would love to pick on these.. but i don't have the guts to get out of my basement.. soo.. good for them :) least they are trying.

Back