This drum goes to 11...

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
So I got a used Oriollo Bellmaker cast bronze 15x6.5 last week, 8 lug with 2.3 mm hoops. It was really super-loud when I got it, so I swapped out the power dot head for a coated Diplomat and the Puresound snares for some Grover cable snares.

It still blows me out of the room every time I hit it. The interesting thing is that the sound is noticeably mid-high, not high, even though it’s a cast shell. I think the 15-inch diameter and the fact that the shell is bronze-not-brass really helps. Plus, the 8 lugs versus 10 help in that way as well.

With the snares off, it sounds like a timpani when tuned low. Tuned mid-range, it is surprisingly crisp and sensitive. This drum is designed for mid and low tuning, though. In my humble opinion.

Would love to see pics! I've always wanted a bell brass (bronze) snare.

Do you think this snare will be practical for any gigs that aren't super loud?

Maybe you should put it behind glass with a small hammer to break in case of emergencies. ;)

So I got a used Oriollo Bellmaker cast bronze 15x6.5 last week, 8 lug with 2.3 mm hoops. It was really super-loud when I got it, so I swapped out the power dot head for a coated Diplomat and the Puresound snares for some Grover cable snares.

It still blows me out of the room every time I hit it. The interesting thing is that the sound is noticeably mid-high, not high, even though it’s a cast shell. I think the 15-inch diameter and the fact that the shell is bronze-not-brass really helps. Plus, the 8 lugs versus 10 help in that way as well.

With the snares off, it sounds like a timpani when tuned low. Tuned mid-range, it is surprisingly crisp and sensitive. This drum is designed for mid and low tuning, though. In my humble opinion.

That sounds like a monster - I've never actually tried a 15" snare - I'd love to see it!

Would love to see pics! I've always wanted a bell brass (bronze) snare.

Do you think this snare will be practical for any gigs that aren't super loud?

Maybe you should put it behind glass with a small hammer to break in case of emergencies. ;)

I’m planning to use it with brushes on quiet gigs. The extra inch of diameter will help. Plus outside gigs too, the few that I do.

That sounds like a monster - I've never actually tried a 15" snare - I'd love to see it!

Can’t get link to post as a hyperlink, copy and paste it

3 mm with 5 mm rerings. The shell itself weighs about 13 pounds. Hardware is about another 4, I think.
Oriollo should consider a branded hand truck to go with it. ?

Using a loud snare on a brushes gig sounds crazy but it actually makes a lot of sense. Brushes are often not loud enough by themselves. I've heard about that before and would like to try it myself...just need an expensive bell brass snare haha.

Oriollo should consider a branded hand truck to go with it. ?

Using a loud snare on a brushes gig sounds crazy but it actually makes a lot of sense. Brushes are often not loud enough by themselves. I've heard about that before and would like to try it myself...just need an expensive bell brass snare haha.

I was recently playing around with a pearl steel piccolo. That thing is hands down the best brush drum I've ever used in almost 20 years and easily 20+ different drums. Same concept, what is super loud and bright with a stick is extremely sensitive and pronounced with brushes.

(Whole post about how loud it is)
(Follow up post) "I'm planning to use it on quiet gigs"

Lol, I love this place. We all can justify anything haha

The music director at my church prefers that I play with brushes, so this is a way to satisfy her while still being loud enough for my taste. LOL

Plus, I’m hoping to get some coffeehouse gigs when Covid is no longer an issue, and brushes make that easier too. Some gigs hang out, volume-wise, right in that gray area between sticks and brushes.

I was recently playing around with a pearl steel piccolo. That thing is hands down the best brush drum I've ever used in almost 20 years and easily 20+ different drums. Same concept, what is super loud and bright with a stick is extremely sensitive and pronounced with brushes.
The $99 13" piccolo? If so I've used one in the past and agree, its fantastic.

The music director at my church prefers that I play with brushes, so this is a way to satisfy her while still being loud enough for my taste. LOL

Plus, I’m hoping to get some coffeehouse gigs when Covid is no longer an issue, and brushes make that easier too. Some gigs hang out, volume-wise, right in that gray area between sticks and brushes.

Totally understand, I'm a big fan of brushes in non-traditional/non-jazz settings

Back