Thinking of Taking on a Project

MntnMan62

Silver Member
I have a 5 piece Slingerland Stage Band kit from the 70's in white marine pearl. Drum sizes are 5 1/2 x 14 snare, 14 x 20 kick, 8 x 12 and 9 x 13 mounted toms and a 14 x 14 floor tom. I'd really like to add a smaller 7 x 10 tom and Singerland didn't make them in that size for the Stage Band models. So, I'm thinking of making one myself. I'd buy a Keller shell, some vintage white marine pearl wrap, a vintage Slingerland Niles badge, some vintage Slingerland snare lugs similar to those used on the Stage Band toms and some stick saver 10" rims. And I'd install a Set-O-Matic mount on it. I'd do all the work myself. And if this project goes well, I'd consider doing the same thing with a 16 x 16 floor tom. I realize that the project drums aren't "authentic" but I'd have the 7 piece kit that I'm shooting for and all the drums would match.

Just looking to get some people's thoughts as whether I'm wasting my time or if this is worth while. Thanks to anyone who chooses to chime in.

I should add that I can finance some of the cost by selling a 9x13 Slingerland Tom and a Premier 16x14 floor tom that I'm using currently. The 9x13 I bought years ago and it became redundent when I found a Stage Band 9x13 tom on ebay. I guessing a big part of the total cost will be covered by the sale of these two drums.

It might also be interesting to ask Chicago Drum Company about the costs for such a drum and if they can make one that looks similar. Have fun!

Yes. I was going to call Chicago Drum as well as Precision Drum. I know that Chicago Drum specializes in Slingerland and Precision is a short drive from me. Either they can just make them for me or I can get most of the parts from them. I suppose I could find a real cheap shell on ebay but thinking I'd rather just buy a shell new. And matching the wrap will require working with someone who knows what I currently have. I'll be calling both tomorrow to see what they have to say.

I just had Precision make me a couple shells in small sizes Ludwig never made using Keller shells. Their work, customer service, and turnaround time were all outstanding.

:)

I've had Precision Drum do quite a few projects for me in the past, mostly bearing edge re-cutting and having shells cut down. This was my first time having them edge/drill new shells and once again their work was flawless. They even called me to discuss a few options and to verify my requests. I always try to talk them up when anyone is looking for a job they can handle because their work and work ethic has been above and beyond every time I've needed them.

I can't say enough good things about Precision, as well. I've only had them cut the bearing edges on new Keller shells, since I can create drill templates on a plotter but their customer service is second to none. They went out of their way to make sure I got exactly what I wanted and in the end, I did.
The bearing edges came out flawless and the drums sound great.
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use them for your project.

I can't say enough good things about Precision, as well. I've only had them cut the bearing edges on new Keller shells, since I can create drill templates on a plotter but their customer service is second to none. They went out of their way to make sure I got exactly what I wanted and in the end, I did.
The bearing edges came out flawless and the drums sound great.
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use them for your project.

Can they create the drill templates for me and leave the drilling to me? I'm guessing the more that I do the cheaper the overall cost will be. What i wouldn't want to tackle is cutting bearing edges since I likely don't have the tools or the expertise to do that.

Can they create the drill templates for me and leave the drilling to me? I'm guessing the more that I do the cheaper the overall cost will be. What i wouldn't want to tackle is cutting bearing edges since I likely don't have the tools or the expertise to do that.

I have no idea if they'll do a template or not as I didn't even bother to ask them. I knew what lugs I was using, their distance from the bearing edge and their hole spacing so I could just make my own.
If they won't do it, or if it costs too much money to either have them drilled or provide a template, just let me know and I'll do them for you for the cost of shipping. I'll obviously need some information, (shell size, number of lugs, hole spacing, etc...) but we can hash out the details if you should decide to go forward with it.
Once you have the template, it's super easy as it will just wrap around the drum and show exactly where to drill. I'll make the marks a bit more conspicuous than what I did for mine, but this will give you an idea of what to expect. And just so you know, that's brown paper that you're seeing even though it kind of looks like it's drawn directly on the shell itself. The templates will fully cover the shell like shown.

Template 1.jpg
Template 2.jpg
Template 3.jpg

I have no idea if they'll do a template or not as I didn't even bother to ask them. I knew what lugs I was using, their distance from the bearing edge and their hole spacing so I could just make my own.
If they won't do it, or if it costs too much money to either have them drilled or provide a template, just let me know and I'll do them for you for the cost of shipping. I'll obviously need some information, (shell size, number of lugs, hole spacing, etc...) but we can hash out the details if you should decide to go forward with it.
Once you have the template, it's super easy as it will just wrap around the drum and show exactly where to drill. I'll make the marks a bit more conspicuous than what I did for mine, but this will give you an idea of what to expect. And just so you know, that's brown paper that you're seeing even though it kind of looks like it's drawn directly on the shell itself. The templates will fully cover the shell like shown.

View attachment 94734
View attachment 94735
View attachment 94736

I think I get the idea. If I were to take some brown paper, cut it so it is the exact size of the shell of the drum, lay it out and measure 6 center lugs with equal spacing between them alI, I'll have my template? That sounds easy enough. I just need a T square to be sure everything is lined up properly. Hey, if this is correct, I just may be able to do this.

I think I get the idea. If I were to take some brown paper, cut it so it is the exact size of the shell of the drum, lay it out and measure 6 center lugs with equal spacing between them alI, I'll have my template? That sounds easy enough. I just need a T square to be sure everything is lined up properly. Hey, if this is correct, I just may be able to do this.

That would be one way to do it, for sure, but more time consuming, labor and calculating than I cared to do. I did mine on a computer and then ran it out on a plotter since I have the capability, the software, the paper, and the equipment and it insures accuracy down to .001".
You certainly can do it........either way. (y)

That would be one way to do it, for sure, but more time consuming, labor and calculating than I cared to do. I did mine on a computer and then ran it out on a plotter since I have the capability, the software, the paper, and the equipment and it insures accuracy down to .001".
You certainly can do it........either way. (y)

And I just found another way to finance the small 7x10 tom and the 16x16 floor tom. In addition to the extra 9x13 Slingerland and the 16x14 Premier floor tom, I can sell my two Roto Toms. I won't have a need for them anymore. Oh, wait. Another project I wanted to do was to buy another bigger bass drum and then outfit it with just Roto toms. So I guess I need the 10" and 12" Rotos and would need to buy an 8", 14" and 16". Alternatively I could ditch the 8" and go with an 18" instead. Ok. Not selling the Rotos. But the Slingy and Premier extras are misfits and therefore expendable. Thanks for the encouragement @J-W. I think I'm on my way. I'll be calling Precision tomorrow and see what they have to say about things. The only other part of this that will be challenging for me will be applying the wrap to the shell. I suppose all I'll need for that is the adhesive that I assume they can supply and a sharp blade for cutting the sheet to the right size. Then I'll just need to clamp it in place and let it dry. And if it's more complicated than that, I'll let an expert do it.

MntnMan62, I'm no drum engineer, so I can't provide useful advice on carpentry and construction. I am intrigued by your ambition, however, and would encourage you to give it a go if you're feeling up to the challenge. Whatever route you decide, keep us abreast of developments. Good luck.

No they cannot. I asked the same thing for my project but their process doesn't make that possible. I just went ahead and had them drill for the lugs.

Back