Thinking of picking up a bop kit

the breakbeats goes off sale after today. The martini is priced the same as the breakbeats. both are right at 350$. I dont think im going to hear from the guy on the premier. The videos of the martini online sound good.

If you were choosing between those two which would you spring for and why??

Are you looking for a certain sound, or convenience and portability?

Went breakbeats. They had the martini but the 14 sounded like poop with the stock heads. I am afraid I wouldn't get the 14 bass to sound good. The breakbeats sounded great in person on the floor with stock heads.

Ive heard lots of mixed reviews on this kit. Did you have any issue with the pedal / riser mount at all. ive seen people mention the pedal hitting the rim of the bass drum when clamped.

If the guy with the premier doesnt get back with me soon, I may look at the breakbeats.

I see you got the Breakbeats but FWIW no I didn't have an issue with my bass pedal. I have a tama iron cobra and it clears just fine. It extends just slightly past but it's nothing to cry about. With my other pedal I just don't clamp it on as far and it's just fine.

Went breakbeats. They had the martini but the 14 sounded like poop with the stock heads. I am afraid I wouldn't get the 14 bass to sound good. The breakbeats sounded great in person on the floor with stock heads.

Nice. Between those two, I would have done the same.
Tried them out at GC once, and they sounded pretty decent. Lots of fun too.

Good choice!
I do think that a 14" bass is just too small.
I changed the batter heads on the snare and toms (coated ambassadors) but left all the others, although I have a felt strip between the bass batter head and shell and it really deadens the overtones but still leaves a big solid sounding drum.

Hope you like it, it's a fun kit to play.

Good choice!
I do think that a 14" bass is just too small.
I changed the batter heads on the snare and toms (coated ambassadors) but left all the others, although I have a felt strip between the bass batter head and shell and it really deadens the overtones but still leaves a big solid sounding drum.

Hope you like it, it's a fun kit to play.

Honestly at the store, it had all stock heads and everything wide open. I thought they sounded really good as is honestly.

The martini still had stock heads as well, and the toms sounded fine, but the 14" bass sounded just floppy. I dont know if it could have sounded a lot better with maybe an EC2 clear as the batter on the martini bass, but it did not sound at all like any of the videos i had seen online. The breakbeats sounded better in person than most of the videos I find online, so thats why i went the route I did. Not a bad pickup for under 280$

If it sounds good to you that's all that matters.
I don't think I could ever get a sound out of a 14" bass drum that I'd be happy with!

Good choice. The breakbeats is a great sounding kit. Especially the bass drum is impressive, even with the stock heads.

If you have any issues with the riser/pedal, check the Breakbeats review on my site for solutions.

I dont appear to really have any issue with the riser, it has to be put on there just right, but indeed the beater angles a hair when the batter is hit. Its minimal angle, so ill probably just live with that.

...the beater angles a hair when the batter is hit. Its minimal angle, so ill probably just live with that.

There are plenty of beaters on the market that can address this...
1. Beaters that allow adjustment of the beater head relative to the shaft, i.e the IC and SC beaters.
2. Gibraltar makes a self-aligning beater.
3. The Vic Kicks when used on the narrow side.
There's more, I'm sure, but these are the ones I have dirct experience with.

Just an update for anyone following. Loving this little breakbeats kit. Honestly I havent had a single issue with this little kit, and to be honest. It sounds great for as cheap as it is.

Ive used it on 2 gigs now that call for small setups, and the only issue I have is the riser, if you dont sit your pedal just right, you will of course hit the hoop with the chain. And one of my screws on it is cross threaded, but whatever. It still tightens and loosens to the hoop.

Otherwise I am very pleased.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it, and gigging it too!
Did you change any of the heads at all?
What colour did you go for?

Glad to hear you are enjoying it, and gigging it too!
Did you change any of the heads at all?
What colour did you go for?

I will only gig it for small performances. I have my AJP drums that I use for bigger gigs.

Still on stock heads for now. They sound fine honestly. Color was the standard blue color.

Just got one of those breakbeats kits from craigslist. Have yet to mess around with it, going to strip it down and clean it up first, but it seems like a pretty solid piece of gear, especially for the money.

I intend to do similar usage; jam nights, really low key gigs. I might even use this to experiment with doing a DIY electric kit.

Just an update for anyone following. Loving this little breakbeats kit. Honestly I havent had a single issue with this little kit, and to be honest. It sounds great for as cheap as it is.

Ive used it on 2 gigs now that call for small setups... I am very pleased.

Great stuff! I have a Breakbeats kit (mine is white) and I have used it for small gigs and it does just what I need. I use a different snare and changed the kick reso (Aquarian Regulator) but the rest is all stock.
With this band we mic the kick and it sounds fat and punchy! I have to remind myself that this kit cost less than a decent ride cymbal.
The Breakbeats kit is so much fun, I love it. Glad you're enjoying yours.

Great stuff! I have a Breakbeats kit (mine is white) and I have used it for small gigs and it does just what I need. I use a different snare and changed the kick reso (Aquarian Regulator) but the rest is all stock.
With this band we mic the kick and it sounds fat and punchy! I have to remind myself that this kit cost less than a decent ride cymbal.
The Breakbeats kit is so much fun, I love it. Glad you're enjoying yours.

It is indeed a fun little kit. I was iffy at first just because I kind of had my heart set on the sonor stuff, but im happy with my decision now. Both gigs I have used it so far have had the kick mic'd and that thing can sound pretty dang good. Im still on all stock heads. I havent found a reason to change yet. I have debated on porting the front bass reso though with a small port. Im undecided.

It is indeed a fun little kit. I was iffy at first just because I kind of had my heart set on the sonor stuff, but im happy with my decision now. Both gigs I have used it so far have had the kick mic'd and that thing can sound pretty dang good. Im still on all stock heads. I havent found a reason to change yet. I have debated on porting the front bass reso though with a small port. Im undecided.
my used kit has emperors on Tom batters over factory resos. I'm replacing the kick batter with an emad because it's all dented in. I'll be happy to report on the difference, although I'll be unlikely to get a recording. I also plan on replacing the riser with a dw unit, as the unit that came with mine is not all there.

Back