Thinking of getting a DW Performance series kit. Any thoughts?

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought a 13/16/24 setup. I will try the stock heads and see if I like them, if not I have aquarian response 2 coated or clear emperors to use instead.

Hopefully I will really enjoy these.

Regarding the stock heads, what I hear when using those is the reso head "note" seems about the same volume as the overall fundamental note. A very interesting sound.

Congrats! I'm pretty sure that you will like them. North American maple, graduated hoops, STM mounts, True-Pitch tuning rods - it all adds up to a very satisfying experience.

It's easy to harbour a "meh" attitude towards DW then you get a kit for yourself and suddenly you're in the "okay - I get it now!" camp. :)
Now I just need to get another snare in addition to my Gretsch COB 5X14. It never ends!

Many moons ago I fell in lust with a performer kit at JD Drumcenter in galaxy glitter?..the black with the various sparkles looking like we'll?..the Galaxy. The 18x22 was a cannon..loud..punchy..focused. The 13 and 16 were the same. I drive up to get it and it was gone. I remember listening to a DW video where John Good A/Bd some performance vs the support hoop DWs and for me it wasn't even close. The performance series was the kit. They have some really nice finish options.
Oh, I think that finish is "Black Mirra": it is black lacquer with tiny, multi-colored sparkles. Very cool finish.

Back